Tambrose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
My Taycan is 2 weeks old (with me) and I started thinking about how to get it washed. I've mostly kept it under a car cover.
Here are the options I was thinking of:
- Hand wash at home (but I have very hard water, so can't keep all of the water spots off)
- Local hand wash place, drive in, drive out
- Local hand wash place, car gets pushed through in neutral
- Automatic, drive in, drive out, touchless
- Automatic, drive in, drive out, non-touchless (the kind with the big floppy things)
- Automatic, car gets pushed along in neutral, non-touchless

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks
Sponsored

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
My Taycan is 2 weeks old (with me) and I started thinking about how to get it washed. I've mostly kept it under a car cover.
Here are the options I was thinking of:
- Hand wash at home (but I have very hard water, so can't keep all of the water spots off)
- Local hand wash place, drive in, drive out
- Local hand wash place, car gets pushed through in neutral
- Automatic, drive in, drive out, touchless
- Automatic, drive in, drive out, non-touchless (the kind with the big floppy things)
- Automatic, car gets pushed along in neutral, non-touchless

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks
I have hard water. 150 to 170 ppm measured with a TDS digital meter.
I use a deionizer with the final rinse to reduce water spots and hand dry in the shade/garage.
30 to 48 ppm through deionizer.
If I slow the water flow to slowest possible I get 20 ppm.
(100-200 ppm is considered hard water)
I have PPF and ceramic coating which also helps to reduce my hand drying.

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Only use touch less or hand wash, any car wash or “hand wash” that uses brushes or power washers is right out. sadly my dealer “hand washes” with brushes and power washers.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Hand wash only with Meguiars Gold Class car wash or similar. Use two buckets, one with soap and one with clean water to rinse the wash mitt especially if the car is particularly dirty. I use a CR Spotless water deionizer as I have hard water. The resin is kind of pricey but the deionizer is a wonderful tool. In addition to washing vehicles it can be used for windows, solar panels, what have you and it leaves absolutely no spots. It allows simple air drying and no wiping which minimizes the possibility of micro scratches to the paint and is a huge time saver.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
I have full PPF and dirt rinses off super easily at the local pressure washer stall place. Much easier than my previous car with no PPF. I do finish with the de-ionised water and usually hand dry it but tbh not convinced that's necessary.

On Monday I went down to the garage planning to take it for a clean after the weekend's trip across the Alps but it's basically spotless as there was a rain shower just before I got home. Definitely recommend the PPF.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I have never had any problems using touchless automatic car washes for keeping the car clean but nothing gets every spot on the car like a hand wash

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Hand wash only with Meguiars Gold Class car wash or similar. Use two buckets, one with soap and one with clean water to rinse the wash mitt especially if the car is particularly dirty. I use a CR Spotless water deionizer as I have hard water. The resin is kind of pricey but the deionizer is a wonderful tool. In addition to washing vehicles it can be used for windows, solar panels, what have you and it leaves absolutely no spots. It allows simple air drying and no wiping which minimizes the possibility of micro scratches to the paint and is a huge time saver.
CR is awesome. I also use a grit guard in my buckets. Chenile mitt on a telescoping rod + a California water blade for majority of drying. Griots large waffle microfiber for final dry. Standard yellow microfibers for door/trunk/frunk jambs and wheels.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I have had my car for nine months now, and I have not yet washed it. Ceramic coat has been incredible; I use a car duster every couple of weeks and it looks great. I am not a wash my own car kind of person, so I am very interested in everyone's experience.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
My car is my daily, in all weather, so I tend to wash it every week, as I also like to do car shows and cruise ins. My car has PPF up front and ceramic on The rest, so cleaning is easy and I hand wash only. Never take it to a car wash due to the harsh chemicals used, brushless or not. Two/Three bucket method with Meguiars Gold soap, use a blower to dry, followed by microfiber towel and Meguiars ceramic detailing spray to get any spots I’ve missed or mid week touch ups. I enjoy washing the car, it’s relaxing and enjoyable to me, so I value the time i put into it.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
My car is my daily, in all weather, so I tend to wash it every week, as I also like to do car shows and cruise ins. My car has PPF up front and ceramic on The rest, so cleaning is easy and I hand wash only. Never take it to a car wash due to the harsh chemicals used, brushless or not. Two/Three bucket method with Meguiars Gold soap, use a blower to dry, followed by microfiber towel and Meguiars ceramic detailing spray to get any spots I’ve missed or mid week touch ups. I enjoy washing the car, it’s relaxing and enjoyable to me, so I value the time i put into it.
That's exactly how I feel - detailing my cars is my therapy. What blower do you use? I'm looking into purchasing one soon and looking for some suggestions. I use Meguiars products as well and switched to this soap last year and love it:

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-ultimate-wash-wax-g17748-48-oz-liquid

Full frontal PPF for my cars too! :fist bump:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In the winter, Rambo hand car wash to get the salt off. Too cold do it myself.

In warm weather
Green Joe electric power washer
Foam cannon
Foam from Chemical guys
Waterless car spray for door jam, and trunk
Lots of micro fiber cloths

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
With full PPF and ceramic I can't believe how easy this car is to wash. I can just rinse it with hot water from my garage tap and almost everything comes off. I do wash every couple weeks by hand, and it takes 30 min max to do the car and wheels and yes, doorjambs and trunk openings. No waxing - ever. :clap: I tried a blower for drying, but a couple microfibers work much better and faster.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
That's exactly how I feel - detailing my cars is my therapy. What blower do you use? I'm looking into purchasing one soon and looking for some suggestions. I use Meguiars products as well and switched to this soap last year and love it:

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-ultimate-wash-wax-g17748-48-oz-liquid

Full frontal PPF for my cars too! :fist bump:
Nothing fancy yet, just a regular old leaf blower but I've been looking at some heated car dryers and will likely pick one out soon. It's just that whole justification in my head, the blower I have works pretty darn well, but I know the other dryers would work even better.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
As far as heated dryers, a much cheaper alternative to the ones made for cars are heated blowers for pets.

For washing the car I use a foam cannon attached to a power washer, and as others have mentioned, the final rinse is with a CR Spotless filter unit that I have used for many years.

Porsche Taycan What type of car wash do you get? 20210505_123554_resized

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
First time I’ve read about spotless CR. The cost of replacement filters is pretty nasty. How many gallons do you use to rinse off your Taycan?
Sponsored