First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, happy to be here and eager to get a Taycan for my Bday next month.

Currently I drive a 2018 Panamera Turbo S Hybrid which is a really good car and an AMG GT that sleeps in the garage.
Reading how amazing the Taycan is, it might replace both cars.

Many of you had this dilemma, what Taycan to buy, 4S or Turbo?

If I hadn't experienced 680 hp in the Panamera I would go for 4S but now it might feel slow and not as special as a Turbo.

From what I read Turbo drives like a 4S on Sport Mode, more direct, more urgent. If that's about it I can put it on Sport when I want to feel like driving a Turbo.

I do 3-4 road trips every year when range is priority and 4S has 15% better range, this might make it more comfortable during ski trips.

What about the Range Mode on Turbo, there's any difference in efficiency? On the same trip/speed the motors should draw same power as on 4S.

These are my current options on the used car market with some comments:

1. https://finder.porsche.com/de/de-DE/details/porsche-taycan-4s-gebraucht-4VER7Q
Nicely specced 2021 4S with sport design, HUD, but only RWS, no PTV/PDCC, passenger display. I would try to retrofit the race-tex headliner. Config 160k

2. https://finder.porsche.com/de/de-DE/details/porsche-taycan-4s-gebraucht-NWQ989
Highly specced 2021 4S with all performance options but no sport sound and race-tex headliner. Config 162k

3. https://finder.porsche.com/de/de-DE/details/porsche-taycan-turbo-gebraucht-ZG6RME
2020 green Turbo, cool color but not entirely sold on it, 18k more than 4S, no ACC, I would love to have Burmester sound and carbon trim for the extra money. Config 186k

4. https://finder.porsche.com/pl/pl-PL/details/porsche-taycan-turbo-nowy-J23VGK
2021 black Turbo, hard to keep it clean but I would wrap it, 20k more, Olea atacama beige with neodyme looks expensive, Burmester, almost full except no ACC. Config 197k

5. https://finder.porsche.com/fr/fr-FR/details/porsche-taycan-turbo-doccasion-KWVOGM
2020 silver Turbo, cheapest Turbo only 6k more than 4S's but higher mileage and interior wear, missing PDCC and lack of noise insulated glass might be noisy. Config 184k

I would like to know what would you pick and why.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

im85288a

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
Easy one for me, Mamba Green is my colour of choice and I would always choose the Turbo over a 4S (even though I am getting a 4S ST) if money is not a consideration. If money is a consideration then the 4S gives the most bang for buck in terms of price to performance comparisons in the whole range.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
From what I read Turbo drives like a 4S on Sport mode, more direct, more urgent. If that's about it I can put it on Sport when I want to feel like in a Turbo.
Having had a few test drives of a 4S and now 2500 miles in my own Turbo, I'd say that- apart from acceleration- they feel very similar when in the same drive modes. The most noticeable thing for me was the benefit of PTV, which is only standard on a Turbo. Without experiencing PDCC, I've never felt I needed it, I've not noticed significant roll when cornering.
Regarding difference in acceleration- if you rate a 4S in Sport mode a 10/10, you'll find the Turbo is an 11 😁
BUT...I didn't think the 4S was lacking for performance and I'm sure I'd have been very happy with one. It felt like a big upgrade on my MY19 Cayenne e-Hybrid, though maybe coming from your model Panamera you would think differently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
andb

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Mamba Green is my colour of choice and I would always choose the Turbo over a 4S
Indeed it's a cool colour but not very popular, I've seen all others in dealerships except Mamba Green, that made me think it might not be easy to sell. Lowest price I got on that Turbo is 136k.

Having had a few test drives of a 4S and now 2500 miles in my own Turbo, I'd say that- apart from acceleration- they feel very similar when in the same drive modes.
There's 134 hp and 200 nm difference, so Turbo should feel significantly faster, but in real life people seem to perceive less.

I really wonder if 4S on Sport Mode feels similar to Turbo on Normal Mode. I sacrifice few km of range but I get the same responsiveness.

Option 2. 4S has PTV/PDCC, RWS should drive great just not very fast.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Option 2. 4S has PTV/PDCC, RWS should drive great just not very fast.
If you think that 4s isn’t very fast…then, you should try to find something else :party:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
There's 134 hp and 200 nm difference, so Turbo should feel significantly faster, but in real life people seem to perceive less.
Over here at least, there aren't many opportunities to keep full on the accelerator for more than a few seconds in either Taycan variant, so it's hard to compare the full potential of each.
Also, I found I quickly transitioned from thinking that the 4S had wild acceleration to thinking that the Turbo, though more rapid, felt less dramatic when I got used to it. I wouldn't be surprised if the same phenomenon applies even to the Turbo S.

HerrCooles

First Name
Herr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ice grey
Country flag
I chose a 4S in ice gray. The reason was that although the TS is faster than the 4S, but it doesn't justify the jump in price for me(!). For the difference I bought my wife her own EV. My predecessor was also a Panamera. In fact, you drive sensibly 90% of the time. But when you need power, you're surprised enough how awesome such an EV is. Since it makes little difference whether TS or 4S.

Black or dark colors show no contrast in shapes. The car is then just a dark spot in the landscape.
Silver is a grandpa color ;)

This is only my opinion.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
andb

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Carmine Red 4S has been sold. The price was pretty good at 118k euro.

If you think that 4s isn’t very fast…then, you should try to find something else
Performance numbers of the Taycan 4S are similar to my AMG GT which is slower than Panamera but feels pretty fast due to noise/less insulation.

I guess I have to try both and see which car it could replace, the Panamera or AMG. I'm sure Turbo can replace both but I like having a weekend car.

My predecessor was also a Panamera. In fact, you drive sensibly 90% of the time. But when you need power, you're surprised enough how awesome such an EV is. Since it makes little difference whether TS or 4S.

Black or dark colors show no contrast in shapes. The car is then just a dark spot in the landscape.
Indeed, you use the full power probably 10% of the time on takeoffs or rare empty roads.

My favorite colour order is Chalk, Netpune Blue, Black, Mamba Green, Carmine Red, the last two get too much attention. But light interior colour is priority, must be Chalk, Red or Beige, not black.

I wonder if there's any hardware improvement on 2021 production cars, first year models sometimes have small issues.

Last edited:

OP
OP
andb

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I voted for crayon 4S
Reasons why?

I'm 40% for Crayon 4S, 30% Mamba Green Turbo and 30% Black Turbo. Even if it has most votes, the Silver Turbo might get disqualified because interior is too beat up and range shows 282km at 81%. Dealer doesn't want to offer 10% discount.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Reasons why?

I'm 40% for Crayon 4S, 30% Mamba Green Turbo and 30% Black Turbo. Even if it has most votes, the Silver Turbo might get disqualified because interior is too beat up and range shows 282km at 81%. Dealer doesn't want to offer 10% discount.
RWS PDCC PVT…and, crayon was/is my favourite exterior.

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Reasons why?

crayon 4s

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
andb

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo