What wall plug to test charging? 🤔

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
I'm borrowing a Taycan 4S for the weekend and would love to test out the charging.

Here's what I've got. It's a 100A circuit for a Tesla. I can probably do a 50/50A split, and if I did, what plug would I have installed? Does the Taycan come with any plugs other than a standard nema 120V 15A? I was thinking a Nema 14-50? This is a quick-fix thing to call my electrician with, not a long term wall connector installation (yet!)

Thanks fellow Porsche peeps!

Porsche Taycan What wall plug to test charging? 🤔 thumbnail_image0
Sponsored

Last edited:

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
I'm borrowing a Taycan 4S for the weekend and would love to test out the charging.

Here's what I've got. It's a 100A circuit for a Tesla. I can probably do a 50/50A split, and if I did, what plug would I have installed? Does the Taycan come with any plugs other than a standard nema 120V 15A? I was thinking a Nema 14-50? This is a quick-fix thing to call my electrician with, not a long term wall connector installation (yet!)

thumbnail_image0.jpg
By default, the car's charger comes with a 14-50 plug. That can be changed to a 6-50, 14-30, or 6-30 when ordering.

The 14-50 is your best bet.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag

thumbnail_image0.jpg
See if you can get confirmation of which plugs the car has. For a period of time the 14-50 plug/adapter was not available from Porsche since they had reduced the capacity of the mobile charger and the charger connect. It looks like it is back as standard now but if the borrowed car falls into the gap you might find a 14-30 plug. An alternative would be to purchase the TeslaTap 80 amp adapter and you would be able to use the Tesla wall connector (not sure if you have one or are planning on one). Not cheap but probably less expensive than getting an electrician to wire up a socket.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
14-50 is the most likely
if it comes with a 6-50 adapter from Amazon is $30 or less and good to have for road trips anyways in the future.

good luck.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

thumbnail_image0.jpg
a TeslaTap will let you use your existing Tesla EVSE/Charger to charge the Taycan - and you're going to want one of these because:
  • you'll need it for your eventual Taycan
  • it will let you charge your friends EV's when they visit
  • it will let you reuse your existing Tesla EV charger for any EV/Hybrid you purchase in the future
  • you can use Tesla chargers your find when traveling away from home…
get the 80 amp version and you're all set!!

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What a great little adapter, thank you for link and info!

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
okay 14-50 plug installed and we’re charging at 8.2kw

Porsche Taycan What wall plug to test charging? 🤔 IMG_3956

Porsche Taycan What wall plug to test charging? 🤔 IMG_3957

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
okay 14-50 plug installed and we’re charging at 8.2kw

IMG_3956.jpeg

IMG_3957.jpeg
expected and normal for 9.6 kW "raw" with a 40 amp outlet.