Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
The following is the actual text of an e-mail I received from an elderly colleague (radicalized by Fox News and OAN) who felt compelled to forward it to me after I gave him a ride in my Taycan.

It is wonderful that concerned citizens/fossil fuel advocates are here to protect Taycan drivers from ourselves. Had I not read this article, I may have been tempted to crank up the heat and/or my 800 volt car radio when trying to outrun an August hurricane that was chasing me hundreds, perhaps thousands, of miles inland!

Rather than debate any of the "facts" in the anti-EV e-mail (way too much to unpack), all I could do was reply that it certainly appears that Darwinism is hard at work and we should all sit back and see how this plays out.

Begin forwarded message:

What's a person to do?
Imagine Florida with a hurricane coming toward Miami. The Governor orders an evacuation. All cars head north. They all need to be charged in Jacksonville. How does that work? Has anyone thought about this? If all cars were electric, and were caught up in a three-hour traffic jam with dead batteries, then what? Not to mention that there is virtually no heating or air conditioning in an electric vehicle because of high battery consumption.
If you get stuck on the road all night, no battery, no heating, no windshield wipers, no radio, no GPS (all these drain the batteries), all you can do is try calling 911 to take women and children to safety. But they cannot come to help you because all roads are blocked, and they will probably require all police cars will be electric also. When the roads become unblocked no one can move! Their batteries are dead.
How do you charge the thousands of cars in the traffic jam when it takes 20 minutes to charge an EV? Same problem during summer vacation departures with miles of traffic jams. There would be virtually no air conditioning in an electric vehicle. It would drain the batteries quickly. Where is this electricity going to come from? Today's grid barely handles users' needs. Can't use nuclear, natural gas is quickly running out. Oil fired is out of the question, then where?
What will be done with billions of dead batteries, can’t bury them in the soil, can’t go to landfills.
The cart is way ahead of the horse. No thought whatsoever to handle any of the problems that batteries can cause. Plus reports have been written that there is not enough rare minerals in the ground to make all the batteries we would require.

The liberal press doesn't want to talk or report on any of this.
In France, thousands of taxis are now stored as inoperable because the batteries are dead and to replace them would cost more
than the value of the vehicle itself!
Note: In case you had not heard about all the French taxis with dead batteries (I had not), the following is a link to a Reuters ("liberal press"?) factcheck:
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I will say at least Redwood Materials is starting to get a handle on recycling batteries. Quantum Scape is working with Porsche on solid-state battery tech.

If a storm is going to hit hard (I'm in FL) I'll plan to fly out of state days before.

(Side note: no need to repeat the "no a/c" statement)

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Rather than debate any of the "facts" in the anti-EV e-mail (way too much to unpack), all I could do was reply that it certainly appears that Darwinism is hard at work and we should all sit back and see how this plays out.
I think you probably gave the best possible reply under the circumstances. As George Bernard Shaw once observed, "Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig enjoys it."

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I think you probably gave the best possible reply under the circumstances. As George Bernard Shaw once observed, "Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig enjoys it."
Also, never argue with an idiot. Idiots will bring you down to their level and win with experience! ?

ab521

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan, CT4
Country flag
For those of us who have grown up in the US Gulf Coast region, major hurricane evacuations are full of gas stations that run out of gas and cars that run out of gas. Those that prepare days ahead of time avoid these issues, those that wait until the last minute do not. Nothing will change if all cars are electric.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has this person never heard of a gas shortages? It happens every year—especially in Florida due to hurricanes. Cars are literally lined up for miles and hundreds of cars end up turning around because the gas station runs out of gas.

This has been happening for decades. Here's an example from the 1973 oil embargo.

Porsche Taycan What's a Person to Do? iu

How do you charge the thousands of cars in the traffic jam when it takes 20 minutes to charge an EV?
You don't.

We are in the middle of a transition to electric vehicles. You still have a choice to buy an ICE vehicle that takes 5 minutes to fill up. People still have an option to buy ICE vehicles for the next 10-20 years. When the transition is complete, you can be rest assured that it will not take 20 minutes to charge an EV.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
The following is the actual text of an e-mail I received from an elderly colleague (radicalized by Fox News and OAN) who felt compelled to forward it to me after I gave him a ride in my Taycan.

It is wonderful that concerned citizens/fossil fuel advocates are here to protect Taycan drivers from ourselves. Had I not read this article, I may have been tempted to crank up the heat and/or my 800 volt car radio when trying to outrun an August hurricane that was chasing me hundreds, perhaps thousands, of miles inland!

Note: In case you had not heard about all the French taxis with dead batteries (I had not), the following is a link to a Reuters ("liberal press"?) factcheck:
Nice “friend”

My summary of your conversation…
You- check out my new awesome car.
“Friend” - meh, let me tell you what a bad choice you made.

I’d be done with that Toxic person but that’s just me.

optik382

First Name
Fletcher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2023 XC90 PHEV, 2022 Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Also, find me the person who has a Taycan as their only vehicle ;-). When the shit hits the fan, Taycan owners are jumping in an ICE vehicle if that makes more sense at the moment! My Taycan is still a month form delivery, but I have a Bolt and an Ascent, and it’s been awesome to be able to hole up and never need to get gas during the pandemic.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Also, find me the person who has a Taycan as their only vehicle ;-). When the shit hits the fan, Taycan owners are jumping in an ICE vehicle if that makes more sense at the moment! My Taycan is still a month form delivery, but I have a Bolt and an Ascent, and it’s been awesome to be able to hole up and never need to get gas during the pandemic.
Very true. When things get bad enough, we (and Sadie the Lab) are most likely climbing in the 4WD F250 PowerStroke diesel and heading out, somewhere, probably with the Airstream in tow. In the meantime, we'll continue to enjoy the many benefits of our solar charged EV's.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
That’d be me. Just the Taycan and a 150 mile trip to work and the same back. That said, hurricanes are not a common feature of our weather here in the east of England! ?

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Very true. When things get bad enough, we (and Sadie the Lab) are most likely climbing in the 4WD F250 PowerStroke diesel and heading out, somewhere, probably with the Airstream in tow. In the meantime, we'll continue to enjoy the many benefits of our solar charged EV's.
Probably an English thing, but an F250 Powerstroke sounds like a lawnmower!

chenner

First Name
B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a neighbor here in rural Georgia who is your typical right wing conservative who "shared" something similar on FB. However, this was a post from a lady who spoke with somebody who worked at an energy company and was pointing out the fact that our power grids aren't built for the demand from EV's. :rolleyes:

I figure this is all probably coming from the direction of Fox News manufacturing more rage with disinformation. Heaven forbid we all don't keep living like it's 1960.

optik382

First Name
Fletcher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2023 XC90 PHEV, 2022 Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
That’d be me. Just the Taycan and a 150 mile trip to work and the same back. That said, hurricanes are not a common feature of our weather here in the east of England! ?
Haha well that was unexpected!

• Haha
Reactions: MrB

Superrat

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Crosss Turismo
Country flag
Hey TsingTao,
Thanks for sharing the post. It’s a shame your friend is an idiot. I have a brother that is in a biking club and some idiot he rides with mentioned the same scenario as your Fox News buddy. All the comments above are relevant. No differ if you have gas cars idling foor 6 hrs with the power down..no power no gas pumps working either. Plan ahead and like most of us have an ICE for long distance travel. We don’t all own one pair of shoes! Different cars for different use cases. Sadly I have found that my acquaintances ( I no longer refer to then as friends as life is too short to hang out with morons) that get their news from FB or Fox haven’t real clue as to whats’s really going on in the world.
All I can add is that I’m sure he isn’t vaccinated because he thinks Bill Gates is trying to track his every move and his master plane is to inject a chip in every human through a tiny 1 mm hole in a needle but don’t process the idea that their every move is being tracked through their cell phones…. no reasoning with idiots!
You should tell your friend “you are really sorry“ and when he asks why you tell him ”because your stupid”. That will shut him up

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The problem with your friend's rant, is that he presents a set of questions for which he assumes there are no answers. Of course, there are answers but he has not bothered to research them. And if you answered them he would not listen.

Some people just are not ready for the truth yet.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.