What's the point of the little flap that covers the lower part of the DC charging input?

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Why is the DC charging input covered with a little flap that must be manually opened and closed by the user? Far as I can tell, the only services it provides are:

• Adds a superfluous step when plugging in, and
  • Obstructs the automatic panel closure mechanism, forcing one to exit the car, manually close the flap, and let the panel close.
Sponsored

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why is the DC charging input covered with a little flap that must be manually opened and closed by the user? Far as I can tell, the only services it provides are:

• Adds a superfluous step when plugging in, and
  • Obstructs the automatic panel closure mechanism, forcing one to exit the car, manually close the flap, and let the panel close.
I was wondering the same thing. It seems entirely superfluous.

OP
OP
SWORDER

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
It keeps my 6-yr old from shoving legos inside of it.

I wish more things had flaps like that….
But it already has an automatically closing panel to keep randoms from messing with it. And even stranger, the AC portion doesn't have that extra flap. Only the DC does.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
But it already has an automatically closing panel to keep randoms from messing with it. And even stranger, the AC portion doesn't have that extra flap. Only the DC does.
Well, I’m standing behind my lego theory.

But, just to entertain possibilities, could it be to keep the DC ports covered while charging with AC?

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
But, just to entertain possibilities, could it be to keep the DC ports covered while charging with AC?
I believe these might be used to minimize the risk of galvanic corrosion from ambient moisture. While these are not hermatically sealed, I know on cars like the Leaf there's a gasket-lined cover over each individual charge port for that purpose.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe these might be used to minimize the risk of galvanic corrosion from ambient moisture. While these are not hermatically sealed, I know on cars like the Leaf there's a gasket-lined cover over each individual charge port for that purpose.
https://www.tesland.com/en/model3-ccs-charge-port-cover/
Cover to protect the exposed CCS pins when using type 2 charger.
?‍♂

Yeah, I don’t really know. I was just looking for a difference between the AC and DC as @SWORDER was asking about.

AC port would be covered with the DC plug, I believe (I haven’t actually used one). But the DC port would be exposed while charging with AC.

Maybe one of the long time EV users here would shed some better light.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
To me, seems like overkill that really just decreases usability.

Tesla cars don't seem to have it:

Porsche Taycan What's the point of the little flap that covers the lower part of the DC charging input? Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 3.44.10 PM

It also makes the automatic charge port door a somewhat superfluous option:
tap the cover with your hand, wait for it to open, then remove that stupid flap, then plug in.

That's not really any different from just doing all that without the automatic part. You still need two hands (or have to prepare the car before getting the charger plug)

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag

Tesla’s design uses the same pins for AC and DC. It is a superior design that Tesla offered to all the other manufacturers royalty free. Guess how that went…

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 3.44.10 PM.png

It also makes the automatic charge port door a somewhat superfluous option:
tap the cover with your hand, wait for it to open, then remove that stupid flap, then plug in.

That's not really any different from just doing all that without the automatic part. You still need two hands (or have to prepare the car before getting the charger plug)
Lol, yeah, Tesla doesn’t have it (or at least some don’t; I don’t know if it’s universal). That’s why that product I linked to exists…

But, searching some forums, it looks like those Tesla’s have drain holes for water, but some people might still have issues with snow.

FWIW, it looks like the Taycan has drain holes also.

Porsche Taycan What's the point of the little flap that covers the lower part of the DC charging input? B863047C-292C-41EA-BC1A-8D7F298C9E80

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Lol, yeah, Tesla doesn’t have it (or at least some don’t; I don’t know if it’s universal). That’s why that product I linked to exists…

But, searching some forums, it looks like those Tesla’s have drain holes for water, but some people might still have issues with snow.

FWIW, it looks like the Taycan has drain holes also.

B863047C-292C-41EA-BC1A-8D7F298C9E80.jpeg
To me the whole CCS2 charger strikes me as being the result of design by committee. It's at least twice the size it needs to be - requiring a lot of surface area on the car and making the plug massive and unwieldy.

Somebody needed guts to say "yes, we're leaving CCS1 compatibility behind, because this is going to be the standard for 10s-100s of millions of cars, and we're going to do it right". And they could have shipped it with a little adapter like Tesla does in the US for all the J1772 chargers out there.

We're at the very very beginning of this, and they already carved this legacy into stone.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To me the whole CCS2 charger strikes as the result of design by committee. It's at least twice the size it needs to be - requiring a lot of surface area on the car and making the plug massive and unwieldy.

Somebody needed guts to say "yes, we're leaving CCS1 compatibility behind, because this is going to be the standard for 10s-100s of millions of cars, and we're going to do it right". And they could have shipped it with a little adapter like Tesla does in the US for all the J1772 chargers out there.

We're at the very very beginning of this, and they already carved this legacy into stone.
I 100% agree with breaking changes early on to make it as good as possible. But it is what it is I guess.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Tesla’s design uses the same pins for AC and DC. It is a superior design that Tesla offered to all the other manufacturers royalty free. Guess how that went…
I am sorry but this piece of misinformation keeps repeating and needs to be corrected. Tesla didn’t offer this royalty and condition free, the condition was that any manufacturer adopting Tesla patents for free couldn’t compete with Tesla.

let’s be real, it was a complete PR non starter and it was total BS.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am sorry but this piece of misinformation keeps repeating and needs to be corrected. Tesla didn’t offer this royalty and condition free, the condition was that any manufacturer adopting Tesla patents for free couldn’t compete with Tesla.

let’s be real, it was a complete PR non starter and it was total BS.
IIRC It wasn't "Don't compete with Tesla" but rather "Don't use any patents against Tesla".
Not sure that makes it any more realistic / feasible, but the intent is clearly different (avoiding competition vs. trying to remove patents from the equation).

I can see both sides on that one: In Tesla's position, you don't want to give up your patents only for the competitor that's then using those patents to turn around and hassle you about a patent they hold (since among other things, cross-licensing seems to be a common way to settle patent disputes). In VW AG/other OEM's position, you can't reasonably say "I'll never go after you for a patent" either.

What isn't as clear: that was the public bid Tesla/Musk made - but were there any realistic options to negotiate something different based on that? (e.g., we'll use the Tesla connector, and we'll invest xxxM in the network, etc.)
Sponsored