What's the point of the little flap that covers the lower part of the DC charging input?

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
@kort, my point was not to answer your needs. Be innovative or pay money to modify it to fit your needs. I quoted you to answer your question on 'why don't other manufacturers have this cover?', which I am providing my experience that other manufacturers do have this cover.
My point is that there are many use cases that Porsche has to think through as a manufacturer. This is not a bespoke product, it has some semi-bespoke options and it has to fit the needs of everyone that wants to purchase and use it.
There may be restrictions to some that can only use that side, for whatever reason and it may be exposed to the elements for a long period of time. Or there may be a Lv2 slow charger outside at a hotel/resort that can only be accessed on that side and have inclement weather.
What I am trying to say is that the minuscule task (or what seems like annoyance to many in this thread), may be useful to others.
If this really bothered me (which it doesn't), I would just take a Dremel and cut off the flap, or have my dealer remove it. However, I think it would be a lot more difficult to install this afterward to those that have the need.
They obviously feel that there is some risk to having it exposed in certain circumstances and using your finger to flick something down is really not a big deal.....this is truly a 1%'er problem and not even sure why? Have we really become that lazy as a race of people?
Sponsored

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Looks like the Nissan Leaf has charge covers too.
We have a Leaf, and specifically those charge covers are there to reduce the risk of moisture-related galvanic corrosion.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I was wondering the same thing. It seems entirely superfluous.
I'd advocate that the flap is for safety reasons - little fingers.

If the flap has been deployed it should automatically spring back to avoid catching the charge port cover when it closes. If not then lubricate the spring.

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
I'd advocate that the flap is for safety reasons - little fingers.

If the flap has been deployed it should automatically spring back to avoid catching the charge port cover when it closes. If not then lubricate the spring.
I mean, there's nothing inherently dangerous about the pins, other than somehow physically getting stuck if you put your fingers in them.
Sponsored