What's up with Range mode after WMA 5/6?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Today I tested the Range mode after some messages that it has changed behavior.
I don't use Range mode myself so I became curious.
Before the update it switched off the rear motor and gearbox, more like a fwd car cuz of the more efficient front motor.
Now, after the update I can see it uses the rear motor again and it looks like it doesn't even use the front!
Only when you let off the throttle completely, the bias goes to the front!
How am I supposed to interpret this??
I can not imagining Range mode is now the same as all the other modes (except for the bias of the bar being to the front when you let off the throttle).
Anyone?
Sponsored

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
I assume you're spinning off on my observations.

Indeed it it curious.

Believe hydraulics (servo), AC (eco), front air intakes (closed), battery cooling (minimal) etc functions are still "range"-y.

But the drive - seems to be 99% AWD (as opposed to before update - FWD pretty must constantly in range). I don't have any good before/after values to compare with. Hoping someone else would..?

Reactions: Dee

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Before the update it switched off the rear motor and gearbox, more like a fwd car cuz of the more efficient front motor.
This sounds like an interesting improvement! The front motor always needs power or is generating power, the back motor can be switched off with the gear box disengaging.

I assume they did more testing and found out, that using both motors is more efficient (or has no impact on efficiency) compare to switching the larger rear motor off. When you let go of the go pedal the last bit of regen is then on the front motor with the rear motor disengaged.

OP
OP
Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
This sounds like an interesting improvement! The front motor always needs power or is generating power, the back motor can be switched off with the gear box disengaging.

I assume they did more testing and found out, that using both motors is more efficient (or has no impact on efficiency) compare to switching the larger rear motor off. When you let go of the go pedal the last bit of regen is then on the front motor with the rear motor disengaged.
Well, you know what I think about assuming...

About the regen: it's absolutely nothing cuz the car doesn't slow down, it's just free wheeling.
It's noticeable different than switching on regen on the steering wheel.

I'm hoping someone knows more about the new Range mode.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
feye might be correct. Has anyone got lots of driving figures before/after that they can prepare? (talking about pure Range figures now).

I agree with regen; It's noticeably less.

Before update the switch between 1st and 2nd gear on my car was quite "clunky". After update the gear change is very, very smooth. Happy with that, at least.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I do not have any long drive tests for before, but I know after the update I was getting 290 miles on a 72F day on a long round trip drive at mostly highway speeds. This was with air con, driving normally but not really what I would if I was trying to get maximum range, with the speed at 65 MPH for most of the drive.

So whatever they have done is working pretty well. And this is on a TTS with the least efficient tires (Well almost, all season performance).

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I've observed the same change in Range Mode behavior, but I can't say I have data reliable enough to conclude that I've seen any meaningful change in consumption as a result.
Sponsored