First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 4e Hybrid
Country flag
Hi guys
I’ve got mission e 21” black gloss alloys.
Anyone used or considered using these trims which there are many available?

I know it goes against gospel putting black plastic on the wheels butlooking at the sales photos they kind of look ok?

just wondered whether it works on this type of wheel and whether anyone had tried it
David

Porsche Taycan Wheel Trim protectors 74A4F80F-5ABE-45D9-9A63-4FC5619E1F21
Sponsored

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Hi guys
I’ve got mission e 21” black gloss alloys.
Anyone used or considered using these trims which there are many available?
just wondered whether it works on this type of wheel and whether anyone had tried it
David
I'm considering using them as "training wheels" (like for a child learning to ride a bike) on my silver mission e's, at least until I feel confident in my judgement of the outer envelope, and using the surround view. BTW, that assist feature, thus far, seems to be excellent in every aspect, including camera/image quality, despite some occasional disparagement of the system on this forum). I will probably use the black color, to blend with the tires, or perhaps transparent, if I find it. My brand-new Turbo (odometer miles = 40) is in the auto body shop for full-exterior/interior PPF and ceramic, wheels just getting ceramic. I really don't want to scuff the wheels, even the tires, the first time I curb them. I know from humiliating experience that it will happen at least once in my first thousand miles, so I want a chance to learn before damage occurs. Maybe I can avoid it easily, and then I will probably remove them.

I'll post a comment here with photos when I get it set up.

-Mark Stein

Last edited:
OP
OP

frensham

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 4e Hybrid
Country flag
Mark, agreed ,same sentiment. its going to hurt when it does happen!.
but i just bought alloys/tyre insurance anyway.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I wish I had these on my model S with 21" aero wheels, but the real problem was that the rim was too wide for the tire. You couldn't go with a wider tire due to the aggressive negative camber on the rear wheels. I tried - hit cord on the inside edge after about 4000 miles.

The 21" rear tire (305 30R21) seems to have just the right amount of tire protection for the 11.5" rims. The front, not so much (265 30R21 on 9.5" rims). One step up in tire width (275 30R21) would probably do the trick.

laniru1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 P90D Tesla
Country flag
@
NC_Taycan
Did you think about trying to get a square set up for your car? I never did care for the staggered wheels. Makes it impossible to rotate your tires. I had the 21's on my first 2014 P85 that were not staggered. On my 2016P90D I went with T-Sportline 20 inch all the way around. They both had the rim protectors which has helped a couple times.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes that's ultimately what I went with (non-staggered set-up).

I toyed with after-market wheels that might have allowed a better tire fit on the wheel, or that might have allowed +1 wheel size without the negative camber wear-out. However I recall I would have needed spacers on the front since the inside edge clearance at the steering extreme is very tight.
Sponsored