Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
I'm sure I read somewhere (on here) that dealers get their annual allocations in January - or did I make that up and it's based on MY?

Just wondering how long to wait to chase my dealer....ordered in June so not expecting it any time soon but I just need to move the cash out of a 0.5% interest easy access account in to something better if it's going to be another 9+ months
Sponsored

e92er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Mine had told me "January" also. I texted him yesterday morning and he said they got some but nothing for me and told me their next allocation is "late February."

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My understanding is that allocations are not annual but monthly / quarterly at best. Note that depending on the dealership (and ownership) then allocations can be small on a per model basis.

OP
OP
Dabz

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Hmm I doubt I'll get any real info from the dealer then, but might email anyway because as a cash (business) purchase it's been a long time sat on a depreciating sum.

OP
OP
Dabz

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Response from dealer - interesting comment at the end (I've put in bold):

I would say there is a small possibility that your car could be allocated within the next 6 months, but it’s hard to say at the moment. It’s up to you as payment doesn’t need to be fully concluded until you take delivery so even if I said in 4 months time we have a build slot for you, the likelihood is that it would not arrive until around 2 months after then anyway.

Then again in the same breath I could call you up in a few months and say we have an immediate build slot to put you into, hence it’s tricky to say!

From what Porsche are telling us we are going to get plenty of cars this year so hopefully not too much longer to wait.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Standard
Response from dealer - interesting comment at the end (I've put in bold):

I would say there is a small possibility that your car could be allocated within the next 6 months, but it’s hard to say at the moment. It’s up to you as payment doesn’t need to be fully concluded until you take delivery so even if I said in 4 months time we have a build slot for you, the likelihood is that it would not arrive until around 2 months after then anyway.

Then again in the same breath I could call you up in a few months and say we have an immediate build slot to put you into, hence it’s tricky to say!

From what Porsche are telling us we are going to get plenty of cars this year so hopefully not too much longer to wait.
Standard Porsche to Dealer to Customer comment - heard it several times before and don't read anything into it.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Hmm I doubt I'll get any real info from the dealer then, but might email anyway because as a cash (business) purchase it's been a long time sat on a depreciating sum.
Keeping in cash vs. in the market probably made you money, tax free too, no?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Standard
Standard Porsche to Dealer to Customer comment - heard it several times before and don't read anything into it.
Here in the US dealers try to keep customers interested, carefully straddling the line to make sure they don't actually commit to anything. In my nationwide search, I spoke with many dealers, got on a number of waiting lists, and I only found 2, maybe 3 dealers who were honest and told me straight up "we have no clue when we can get you an allocation, could be in few months, could be couple of years or more". Others gave me different versions of similar story - "allocation in 4-6 months, car in 9-12 months", +/- 3 months. Then when the deadlines passes, they string along for a little while, then just go dark on you, not even responding to a quick status query every 2 months. In some cases the SA which takes the initial deposit leaves the dealership. At least that was my experience since June 2021. I understand things are changing a little though, with demand softening, and supply increasing.

For me, my nation-wide search eventually yielded an allocation. My car is currently on a boat getting closer every day. Barring additional delays, it will be ~20 months from first deposit to car delivery.

OP
OP
Dabz

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Keeping in cash vs. in the market probably made you money, tax free too, no?
not really, 0.5% interest paid of which we’ll pay 25% in corp tax against 10% depreciation, so far worse off with it sat in cash.
it’s now in a 4.25% cash savings which is slightly less poor

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
not really, 0.5% interest paid of which we’ll pay 25% in corp tax against 10% depreciation, so far worse off with it sat in cash.
it’s now in a 4.25% cash savings which is slightly less poor
Had you kept it in the market, say a NASDAQ tracking fund, you'd have lost money, so even 0% is better than that. I guess depends on what were in the market you would have parked that money. Had you parked in in TSLA stock, you would have lost half of it, but if you had parked in SQQQ (shorting NASDAQ at 3:1) you would have made ~13% in the last 6 months.

PS> 4.25% cash savings were probably not available in June 2022.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
As your dealer said, there's more allocations this year. I hypothesised Porsche were expecting people to cancel based on 1. Extended wait times 2. Competitor products finally hitting the market 3. Economic downturn, risking cancellations.

Porsche want to rush out orders before that happens. That means more allocations. Their "Hermes handbag" psychological sales strategy (there is no reason why they cannot manufacture more cars) they have honed so well in recent years could otherwise backfire.

In terms of allocation, it is luck. I know of one person on here who - through a different dealer - was lower down the list than me. They got their allocation in December.

For me, it has been tumbleweeds for almost a year now.

Chris_S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Taycan 4S
Country flag
As your dealer said, there's more allocations this year. I hypothesised Porsche were expecting people to cancel based on 1. Extended wait times 2. Competitor products finally hitting the market 3. Economic downturn, risking cancellations.

Porsche want to rush out orders before that happens. That means more allocations. Their "Hermes handbag" psychological sales strategy (there is no reason why they cannot manufacture more cars) they have honed so well in recent years could otherwise backfire.

In terms of allocation, it is luck. I know of one person on here who - through a different dealer - was lower down the list than me. They got their allocation in December.

Wow, that is slow going - do you not even get a target date / estimated date from the dealer?

Feels like a very one sided process that customers in any other sector would just not tolerate?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Feels like a very one sided process that customers in any other sector would just not tolerate?
Customers have not had much of a choice - tolerate it or don't buy - way more customers than available cars meant no immediate loss to Porsche. With more choices coming to market though, it's changing fast. Heck, if Tesla actually offered the old round steering wheel with stalks on a Model S, I would have probably given up on a Taycan after a year and picked up a Plaid, fitted it with carbon brakes, and be done with it for another 3-4 years, rather than wait 20 months for a Taycan (and even that wait was not passive, I actively had to search for an allocation across the country, or else I'd still be waiting).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

What are you ordering?

If a GTS ST then I waited from Sept 21 to get my allocation. Car launched Nov'21 and I got my allocation Nov'22. Build likely next month.

It is a moveable feast given the various challenges out there.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
What are you ordering?

If a GTS ST then I waited from Sept 21 to get my allocation. Car launched Nov'21 and I got my allocation Nov'22. Build likely next month.

It is a moveable feast given the various challenges out there.
Yes, a GTS ST... And I literally just got my allocation an hour ago! 🎉 Build March, delivery April.

Huge problem though: I am currently going through a process of shutting down everything and leaving the UK permanently by end of March. I will return 30-60 days a year.

I could go ahead with it, then keep the car in Europe, which is likely to be my main "base" for a max of 6 months. Does seem like a massive ball ache though.

And the car is delivered just as I fly out of the country 😂

What to do?!
Sponsored

Reactions: Jin