When are we expecting a Facelift? Porsche Taycan

Mar117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hi there,
Dont get me wrong, i am enjoying my MY21 4S to the max. In fact its one of the best cars i have owned in a long time.

Now we are crossing the 3rd year of the car, i think it might be right to talk about when are we expecting a Facelift? And what would the facelift cover.

I know Porsche are so conservative in doing drastic changes in facelifts.

I am thinking MY24 will be the facelift model year and the changes i am expecting:

1. Bigger/battery = longer range.
2. Minor interior changes(screens)
3. Android Automotiv OS baked in aka polestar and many oems obting in.
4. More standard options than being options especially from innodrive prospective.

Apologies if this has a thread already.
Sponsored

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t it every 7 years they have a design refreshment?

TBH I am going to keep my car 3-4 years depending on how fast tech improves as well as how much my battery degrades. If we ever see Taycan with like 400+ miles of range I am upgrading for sure.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
The battery won't get physically bigger. There might be different chemistry resulting in a higher energy density – but it won't be a dramatic improvement. 90 kWh battery is big enough for Taycan and improvements to overall energy efficiency – coupled with a rapidly improving charging network in Europe makes the current energy available in the battery more than sufficient.

It's more likely to be on-going software improvements to drivetrain strategies that bring incremental improvements – as we've seen in the recent updates and MY22+ cars.

Additionally, though the electric motors and inductors are highly efficient – there are lots of improvements to come here still.

Tweaking of the UI will be a continuous process – but not limited to just facelift cars. Porsche likely to roll out the new immersive CarPlay that Apple is working on – which might require new hardware of a facelift car.

Very little chance that Porsche will adopt Google's platform. VW as a whole is leaning towards Microsoft Automotive. Porsche themselves are attracted to Apple and both companies have been hinting at future partnerships, with Apple mentioning that Porsche have signed up to the new CarPlay.

Porsche Taycan When are we expecting a Facelift? Porsche Taycan 1660464469001

A lot will depend on Porsche separating from VW and going public. The actual mechanics of that are unknown and its likely that if/when it does happen – VW will remain a significant supplier to Porsche for the foreseeable.

4. More standard options than being options especially from innodrive prospective.
Innodrive and driver assistance systems will continue to improve – especially via the partnerships with Microsoft and potentially Apple. Porsche are unlikely to add much to Taycan as standard options. They aren't going to change their playbook because its a facelift.

You left out the the most likely changes in a facelift: subtle but real external differences in styling – that make the car feel more modern while keeping the lineage with the first Taycan and the Porsche DNA.

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
A facelift car is likely to increase theoretical maximum charging from 270kW to 350kW – with possibly a change from 800V to 900V. All the IONITY stations and the vast majority of >250kW stations in Europe can supply power up to 1000V.

Edit: I'd be weary of getting "800V" on your vanity number plates :)

OP
OP

Mar117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The battery won't get physically bigger. There might be different chemistry resulting in a higher energy density – but it won't be a dramatic improvement. 90 kWh battery is big enough for Taycan and improvements to overall energy efficiency – coupled with a rapidly improving charging network in Europe makes the current energy available in the battery more than sufficient.

It's more likely to be on-going software improvements to drivetrain strategies that bring incremental improvements – as we've seen in the recent updates and MY22+ cars.

Additionally, though the electric motors and inductors are highly efficient – there are lots of improvements to come here still.

Tweaking of the UI will be a continuous process – but not limited to just facelift cars. Porsche likely to roll out the new immersive CarPlay that Apple is working on – which might require new hardware of a facelift car.

Very little chance that Porsche will adopt Google's platform. VW as a whole is leaning towards Microsoft Automotive. Porsche themselves are attracted to Apple and both companies have been hinting at future partnerships, with Apple mentioning that Porsche have signed up to the new CarPlay.

1660464469001.png

A lot will depend on Porsche separating from VW and going public. The actual mechanics of that are unknown and its likely that if/when it does happen – VW will remain a significant supplier to Porsche for the foreseeable.

Innodrive and driver assistance systems will continue to improve – especially via the partnerships with Microsoft and potentially Apple. Porsche are unlikely to add much to Taycan as standard options. They aren't going to change their playbook because its a facelift.

You left out the the most likely changes in a facelift: subtle but real external differences in styling – that make the car feel more modern while keeping the lineage with the first Taycan and the Porsche DNA.

I could swear that i saw VW slides from 2 years mentioning the premium software would be based on Android Automotiv OS. Plans might have changed.

Range is not a huge issue for me. The 4S is good enough for my daily commute.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi there,
Dont get me wrong, i am enjoying my MY21 4S to the max. In fact its one of the best cars i have owned in a long time.

Now we are crossing the 3rd year of the car, i think it might be right to talk about when are we expecting a Facelift? And what would the facelift cover.

I know Porsche are so conservative in doing drastic changes in facelifts.

I am thinking MY24 will be the facelift model year and the changes i am expecting:

Apologies if this has a thread already.
Already a thread on this.

Hard to guess given the various production delays etc. I would guess MY24 for 2025 delivery.

Don't expect more standard toys - not the Porsche way (ever).

More range is likely.

Panamera EV may surface causing a conundrum!

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
A facelift car is likely to increase theoretical maximum charging from 270kW to 350kW – with possibly a change from 800V to 900V. All the IONITY stations and the vast majority of >250kW stations in Europe can supply power up to 1000V.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
f

they have already announced 900V for the Mission-R

I'm guessing no on the 270 kW vs. 350 kW - original engineering interviews - porsche engineering notes that faster charging "degrades" the battery - they are not going to over come this in a "refresh" release - in fact they added a "slower" charge option "to preserve" battery (200 kW limit added in software update)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Already a thread on this.

Hard to guess given the various production delays etc. I would guess MY24 for 2025 delivery.

Don't expect more standard toys - not the Porsche way (ever).

More range is likely.

Panamera EV may surface causing a conundrum!
2024/2025 would be my guess also - historically porsche has come to market with a ".2" about 4 years into the 7-8 year model cycle…

I think we'll see a .2 Taycan - but changes will be focused on efficiency and cosmetics with the fundamentals remaining largely unchanged - minor bump in range due to software/efficiency gains…

OP
OP

Mar117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
2024/2025 would be my guess also - historically porsche has come to market with a ".2" about 4 years into the 7-8 year model cycle…

I think we'll see a .2 Taycan - but changes will be focused on efficiency and cosmetics with the fundamentals remaining largely unchanged - minor bump in range due to software/efficiency gains…

Possibly better camera technology and radar technology.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Possibly better camera technology and radar technology.
I'm going politely disagree on this on - $1 bet - I'll take the side of "no" - it's not Porsche's DNA to "improve" drivers assistance - and if so,not in a ".2" release - we'd see it on the Macan first if at all - and next gen Taycan after that...

my bet is _IF_ they do this it will be on the "lux" EV Cayenne they hinted about a few weeks ago 2025/2026 model year

again I'm not mad at you - not upset - just a friendly "bet" that no this is not part of a .2 refresh - no penalties for either side when it does or does not happen

again I'm doing this in the most friendly way possible - no malice.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm going politely disagree on this on - $1 bet - I'll take the side of "no" - it's not Porsche's DNA to "improve" drivers assistance - and if so,not in a ".2" release - we'd see it on the Macan first if at all - and next gen Taycan after that...

my bet is _IF_ they do this it will be on the "lux" EV Cayenne they hinted about a few weeks ago 2025/2026 model year

again I'm not mad at you - not upset - just a friendly "bet" that no this is not part of a .2 refresh - no penalties for either side when it does or does not happen

again I'm doing this in the most friendly way possible - no malice.
it's rumored the EV Macan (I'm calling it the Delaycan) was delay'd because of "software issues" - now what software would delay the release of an entire product line?

HINT: it's not their Infotainment software that is lagging…(it is lagging but not enough to delay the release of an entire product line)

no the only sort of software powerful enough to delay the release of an entire product line is "driving assistance" software…at least that's again "my bet" - and if it's not ready for the Macan - it's not ready for Taycan .2…

I mean that's some pretty powerful software to delay an entry into the most lucrative market segment in the automotives industry while the Model Y goes on to become the top selling vehicle "period"

and Porsche is clearly happy enough with current PCM software to release "it" - so that isn't the software that delay'd things…

yeah it's something else - something new - something powerful - something dangerous - and something the germans have zero demonstrated competence at…

it's not the camera's/radar that needs upgrading.

Last edited: