tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
someone will have to explain the market for an EV Panamera in addition to the Taycan. I just don’t see it.
I too was surprised Porsche recently said they are going to electrify the Panamera and keep it. It was never a big seller. My thoughts on why they would do this:
  • The platform the Panamera would use is really being developed for Audi and Bentley and Porsche feels they can tag along.
  • They feel they have capacity for it in Leipzig even alongside the (electrified) Macan and Cayenne.
  • There is an addressable market for a luxury (not as sporty) EV saloon and even if its small – Porsche can build for it because of the scale that VW/Audi are bringing.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
someone will have to explain the market for an EV Panamera in addition to the Taycan. I just don’t see it.
Mr Porsche alluded to it last month just when we thought it was about to be killed off.

They need something to compete with the EQS and the EQE is about to steal Model S position.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I should think an EV Panamera would be more of a sports limo and as long as there is a market for that type, I guess they would make it. They could also up the lux level and have a sporty competitor with the S class.

I also think the EV sports enthusiasts really want to see the EV Macan which will be smaller and quicker than the Taycan.

OP
OP

Mar117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I should think an EV Panamera would be more of a sports limo and as long as there is a market for that type, I guess they would make it. They could also up the lux level and have a sporty competitor with the S class.

I also think the EV sports enthusiasts really want to see the EV Macan which will be smaller and quicker than the Taycan.

I seriously think Macan EV is way more important to the whole company than any other model.

Sales wise and market appeal, such a huge impact.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Hmm, top heavy Macan - can't see it being quicker nor in the right price bracket.

2 door Pana EV coupé...

Pana and Taycan are neigh on the same in terms of physical dimensions as it is.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hmm, top heavy Macan - can't see it being quicker nor in the right price bracket.
Batteries are in the bottom so it's not going to be top heavy. Yes, quicker, not faster.

Price bracket? It's a Porsche. You know it's going to be expensive.

If Porsche wants to go public, it needs more than just two models. It needs to cover the market. Of course that's the high end where the margins are.

Happy Frog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf
Country flag
Next gen Taycan is rumored to move from J1 to PPE or SSP platform.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Batteries are in the bottom so it's not going to be top heavy. Yes, quicker, not faster.

Price bracket? It's a Porsche. You know it's going to be expensive.

If Porsche wants to go public, it needs more than just two models. It needs to cover the market. Of course that's the high end where the margins are.
It is taller ;-) ergo

It will replace existing Macan and so will fall within existing pricing give or take. Premium but not expensive per se.

LLA53

First Name
Iain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE Grey Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi there,
Dont get me wrong, i am enjoying my MY21 4S to the max. In fact its one of the best cars i have owned in a long time.

Now we are crossing the 3rd year of the car, i think it might be right to talk about when are we expecting a Facelift? And what would the facelift cover.

I know Porsche are so conservative in doing drastic changes in facelifts.

I am thinking MY24 will be the facelift model year and the changes i am expecting:

1. Bigger/battery = longer range.
2. Minor interior changes(screens)
3. Android Automotiv OS baked in aka polestar and many oems obting in.
4. More standard options than being options especially from innodrive prospective.

Apologies if this has a thread already.
Yes all of these changes will be done via an OTA uPdate. You will leave it overnight updating and when you wake in the morning just remember where you parked it as it will be unrecognisable 👍

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
I think any uber-luxury porsche model is likely to be linked to whatever Audi do regarding their Sphere concept car (AKA A9). - cheers

OP
OP

Mar117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Yes all of these changes will be done via an OTA uPdate. You will leave it overnight updating and when you wake in the morning just remember where you parked it as it will be unrecognisable 👍
Somehow true. I updated my software. Really felt something new. Its not a perfect update but seriously good one.

With this update, i feel Porsche are getting the software game. They need to do lil more but they r seriously about software capabilities.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
I would think the Panamera is going to die and be to expensive to electrify. The future of new revenue is SUVs and Porsche did announce something bigger than the Cayenne as a new model coming.

Just googled it again (to make sure I was not dreaming): https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/new-porsche-all-electric-luxury-suv-2024.html

PS @Mar117 and the rumours of Porsche’s independence post separate listing are greatly exaggerated. VW only wants to float about <25% to keep total control. It will be a “fanboy stock” (which we might all be) and will surely raise double digit billions to pump into electrification.

CAracer

First Name
Johh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes AMG GTS Mercedes GLC300, Honda CRV
Country flag
A facelift car is likely to increase theoretical maximum charging from 270kW to 350kW – with possibly a change from 800V to 900V. All the IONITY stations and the vast majority of >250kW stations in Europe can supply power up to 1000V.

Edit: I'd be weary of getting "800V" on your vanity number plates :)
Too late for me.
Porsche Taycan When are we expecting a Facelift? Porsche Taycan IMG_0085

Benji_OOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan, '13 911, 01 911, e-tron, Tesla S75D
Country flag
While I would like to see updates made to the car I do think Taycan will remain unchanged longer than expected. Right now demand is very high and production is difficult, it would be easier to extend the life cycle to avoid having to make supply chain changes. Not to mention all the other Porsche models have just been upgraded to PCM 6.0 which the Taycan started with. The current Panamera was the vehicle that set the interior and UX design direction of Porsche. I suspect now the Taycan is in that position so it may not get a major update until other vehicles are caught up. I'd expect more incremental changes compare to a refresh in this climate.
Sponsored