When you exit the car, do you "turn it off" or not? (POLL)

VOTE --When you finish driving your Taycan, after you put it in park, do you...

• Total voters

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
When you exit your Taycan, do you hold down the POWER button to shut it off, or do you just walk away? I'm curious what people are doing here primarily.

Interestingly, my Porsche dealership said that they felt the 12V power issues might stem from the car not always turning off properly. They weren't sure, and they knew Germany was working to fix this and would have software updates. Yet in the meantime they suggested I shut it down fully before existing.

Obviously there have been chats here about charging at low voltage, and this causing 12V issues. And of course there are TSBs and other data elsewhere. This isn't a discussions about the 12V issues, just a curious poll about what other operators are doing.

At this point I've had my car a month, and I've gotten in the habit of powering down my car based on my guidance from my local dealership. Am I the only one doing this? Are the rest of you not bothering? FWIW, when I enter the car, it clearly turns on without any power button pressing -- this is just about shutting off/down the car when existing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
arijaycomet

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
People leave the car without powering down?! ?

Thats it. I'm out.
If you read the owners manual, which I know the majority of us are men, and that is taboo LOL it actually says that is supposed to do. Just like in a Tesla ?

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
If you read the owners manual, which I know the majority of us are men, and that is taboo LOL it actually says that is supposed to do. Just like in a Tesla ?
:)

Porsche Taycan When you exit the car, do you "turn it off" or not? (POLL) A3827AC1-A937-4967-A1EF-5F6413A3DB63

there is no reason not to hold the power button. In fact, I suggest you do so as to not drain the mini battery for 30 minutes at a time.

OP
OP
arijaycomet

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
there is no reason not to hold the power button. In fact, I suggest you do so as to not drain the mini battery for 30 minutes at a time.
I’ll say we have to agree to disagree here. Since the 12V battery is powered by the larger battery in some fashion, there should never be any point where the 12V battery dies. For example, sorry to use this here but— when I exit my Tesla, if there is a passenger in the car they can tap the touch screen to wake it up, and listen to music, use HVAC, etc. Since we’re not talking about petrol motors here, the 12V battery should always be in a state of being charged by the High Voltage battery.

Turning on the car doesn’t require any press of the power button, so why should turning it off? To that end, do you shut down your iPad when you are done? In my case I just close the lid on my iPad Pro, which would be on the same level as closing the door/locking my car. Now quite frankly the fact that I hav to lock the doors when they unlock seems silly — if self unlocking occurs when arriving, why doesnt auto lock occur when you walk away?

But the bottom line here is nowhere in the owners manual (as your photo illustrates) does it actually TELL you to “hold the power button” — it says just put the car in park, exit, and lock the vehicle. My interpretation there is that the car is shut down/off the moment you lock it. But if you do not lock it, but walk away, that 30m later it would turn off. Not that it stays on for 30m AFTER locking but simply that if you park, say at home in a private garage, it would stay on 30m. Still again see para1 above.

To that end, I think some clarification here from Porsche would be nice. And, given that the button press is not just a tap but a long 2sec press, it seems fairly much like they did not intend for it to be needed. in the Audi etron SUV for example or other similar cars, it isnt a 2sec press. It’s a simple touch of a single button like any other start/stop button. Porsche making it delayed indicates it should be unnecessary IMO

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Maybe take a look at the excellent posts by Dave and the countless others with the 12v issue. I take that into account, and I hope others do too until Porsche has a real fix.

I do not trust Porsches ability to code a calculator.

OP
OP
arijaycomet

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe take a look at the excellent posts by Dave and the countless others with the 12v issue. I take that into account, and I hope others do too until Porsche has a real fix. I do not trust Porsches ability to code a calculator.
Totally agree. Even before I joined these forums or read those posts, I had been given the guidance by my Porsche dealership to turn the car off. (See my OP which covers this quite clearly!). To that end, I voted that i hold down the power when I exit, because that is what I was told to do by someone who I trust. I’m fully aware of the 12V ramifications here.

But I can tell you, my wife’s 2020 Tesla Model Y doesn’t go into “sleep” mode the way the Porsche does when I shut it off. When I open that car door the car is awake and ready. I can plug in a Navi address and be underway in < 5 seconds from when I pulled the door handle. The boot time and latency on the Taycan is horrid. And I wonder if that would be less bad, if they coded/figured it out.

Again, the whole point of this poll was to see how many people are indeed holding down the power button, or how many aren’t. It wasn’t to discuss the 12V issues that are well covered elsewhere on this forum. I’m aware of them; you’re aware of them; and most of us are “adapting” to a poorly programmed car. That said, I was curious to see who isn’t following the “user” protocols, but rather, how many people follow the owners manual instead. And of cours the follow up there would be to see how many of them eventually have 12V issues. :p

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Pretty sure the Taycan only has a complete off state, and only supplies 12v access to the app/websites API needs (which would further explain the slow connection times). Tesla should also have a deep sleep mode in addition to standby. Probably why the Taycan barely loses power over night. See:

Or just for the result:
Porsche Taycan When you exit the car, do you "turn it off" or not? (POLL) 1611873642304

Don't take my words as gospel, however. It just seems logical with both the boot times and the app having to re-establish connection every time you open and close it.

Btw @PerPower

Porsche Taycan When you exit the car, do you "turn it off" or not? (POLL) IMG_0378

Porsche Taycan When you exit the car, do you "turn it off" or not? (POLL) hypertremblecat

OP
OP
arijaycomet

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
IIRC, there is an option on the Tesla to not let the car go into as deep of a sleep mode. This helps boot times, but does of course drain the big battery faster. At the same time, there are features like cabin overheat protection (100F max) that Tesla lets you turn on, but I think has a 10% or 20% SOC min before it shuts off. Sentry mode (all those news articles abut the dash cam recording) on the Tesla also shuts off at a certain low SOC% ... so again Tesla has a slew of features in the car that stay alive/awake — but do have a bottom SOC cutoff, for obvious reasons.

But don’t even get me started on the app @Oink — not only the fact that Tesla like so many now are following suit to ditch the key fob— but the latency of the Porsche app. I can be in 5G/LTE area with both cars, and I can open the Tesla app and have the HVAC system on within 10 secs or less and actually hear the car firing up the Heat/Air. Whereas in the Porsche this is much slower. And I get it, Tesla is an iPad on wheels. they are a software company that happens to be making cars, whereas Porsche is a car company that has no choice nowadays but to enter into Software. That is not lost on me.

But... people who are driving EVs more than any other propulsion method are more demanding. I’m a car guy first and foremost, but I love technology. At one point i as blogging about smart home tech, etc. It excites me! And the thing is the Porsche is far more fun to drive than any Tesla; so I want Porsche to succeed. They dont need to do much— just hire a few smart computer geeks LOL

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Nail on the head. Tesla is leagues, LEAGUES ahead in software and hardware (and range for that matter). Not only that but they also don't power their systems by some off-the-shelf horrible old, cheap SOC (system-on-a-chip, not state of charge). Either that or their "operating system" in their cars are single-threaded causing the insane hiccups you can notice if you click too fast on the PCM.

No clue what the Taycan system runs on but I assume it's some legacy, cheap Mediatek. Pretty sure you could get the system running better on a Raspberry Pi.

Love my car still, though.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
:)

A3827AC1-A937-4967-A1EF-5F6413A3DB63.jpeg

It's stated more plainly on page 219 of my 2021 manual (Starting, Driving and Stopping ):

Switching off operational readiness and leaving
the vehicle

(precondition) Parking lock and parking brake activated.
(procedure step) Exit and lock the vehicle.
(result) Operational readiness of the vehicle is switched
off.
– or –
(step) Press the Power button for approx. 1 second.
(result) Operational readiness of the vehicle is switched
off

So, if you park, exit and lock the car, it switches off anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
arijaycomet

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, if you park, exit and lock the car, it switches off anyway.
This is VERY interesting — it makes me wonder if they actually changed the software or if this is just a change in the literature. I’m not sure I want to test it and find out the hard way LOL

That said... I always hold the power button to turn off the car. However, I have found that sometimes when I’m only away from the car for a brief time, the systems boot faster, etc. Indicating maybe the 30min aspect or deeper sleep occurs, independent of the long-hold power down.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Totally agree. Even before I joined these forums or read those posts, I had been given the guidance by my Porsche dealership to turn the car off. (See my OP which covers this quite clearly!). To that end, I voted that i hold down the power when I exit, because that is what I was told to do by someone who I trust. I’m fully aware of the 12V ramifications here.

But I can tell you, my wife’s 2020 Tesla Model Y doesn’t go into “sleep” mode the way the Porsche does when I shut it off. When I open that car door the car is awake and ready. I can plug in a Navi address and be underway in < 5 seconds from when I pulled the door handle. The boot time and latency on the Taycan is horrid. And I wonder if that would be less bad, if they coded/figured it out.

Again, the whole point of this poll was to see how many people are indeed holding down the power button, or how many aren’t. It wasn’t to discuss the 12V issues that are well covered elsewhere on this forum. I’m aware of them; you’re aware of them; and most of us are “adapting” to a poorly programmed car. That said, I was curious to see who isn’t following the “user” protocols, but rather, how many people follow the owners manual instead. And of cours the follow up there would be to see how many of them eventually have 12V issues. :p
I was in the camp of just getting out and locking the car with the key, but with the hill rolling issue I make sure park brake is enabled with the red light on, power off with the start/stop button and make sure my wife does the same. . . .

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Pretty sure the Taycan only has a complete off state, and only supplies 12v access to the app/websites API needs (which would further explain the slow connection times). Tesla should also have a deep sleep mode in addition to standby. Probably why the Taycan barely loses power over night. See:

Or just for the result:
1611873642304.png

Don't take my words as gospel, however. It just seems logical with both the boot times and the app having to re-establish connection every time you open and close it.

Btw @PerPower

IMG_0378.jpeg

hypertremblecat.gif
Haha.. sorry guys. Old habit from owning several Tesla’s :) With comfort access - just walk to the car to open/start and away to lock/shut down. Only that you’ll need to touch the door handles to lock, which I don’t get why can’t be done automatically like open...