When you exit the car, do you "turn it off" or not? (POLL)

VOTE --When you finish driving your Taycan, after you put it in park, do you...

• Total voters

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
As someone pointed out above, the manual has always said you can press the off button OR just lock the car and walk away.
However, I press the button. I’ve had quite a few occasions where I’ve got in the car the next day and the car hasn’t switched on and I need to press the power button to wake it up. If it does this regularly I’d think it’s just as likely it’s not going to switch off properly by itself either, so I don’t risk it and just press the button.
Sponsored

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
As someone pointed out above, the manual has always said you can press the off button OR just lock the car and walk away.
However, I press the button. I’ve had quite a few occasions where I’ve got in the car the next day and the car hasn’t switched on and I need to press the power button to wake it up. If it does this regularly I’d think it’s just as likely it’s not going to switch off properly by itself either, so I don’t risk it and just press the button.
Good point! Maybe this will be fixed in the upcoming SW update in February.

mike-taycan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I asked the same question a few months ago. My dealer told me to just put it in park, lock and walk away. If I am just running into the store or coffee shop, I don’t press the off button.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
To be honest i would exit without the power switch, however the seat moves and the music switches off when you use the switch. Opening the door with my music blaring just seems obnoxious.
Good points re: seat and media. In my Aston when you opened the door, the music volume automatically turned down to a lower level. With my Taycan I push the Park button and then push the On/Off button. I'm so accustomed to pressing the Engine On/Off buttons in my ICE vehicles that I do the same in the Taycan. I am also paranoid about accidentally leaving the car on (even if it is supposed to shut down by locking the car) that I feel more comfortable seeing everything shut down before I exit the car.

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I don’t understand why it has to be so complicated? When you open the driver door, the seat should just move back automatically and the volume of the music should be lowered. And when I close the door and walk away, the car should just turn off.

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There seems an interesting difference between the 2020 and 2021 Taycans regarding turning off the car and locking.

The 2020 manual says (Pg 28), "Leaving and locking the vehicle - When you leave the vehicle and take the driver's key with you, the vehicle is locked automatically and
switches off completely."

I can find no such language in the 2021 manual and indeed, my 2021 Taycan does not automatically lock and turn off completely when I walk away. (Note that both manuals state that "the vehicle is turned off automatically" after 30 minutes, I presume when not locked.)

The easiest way to unlock and start, then turn off and lock the car seems to be (with the key in your possession):

To unlock and start: Lift the door handle, sit in the driver's seat, move the "gear" lever to Drive or Reverse.

To lock and turn off: Press the Park button, get out of the car, close the driver's door then swipe the door handle sensor.

Using this approach you never need to press the "Start" button (so why is it there?).

These quirks and permutations are the definition of "over engineered." The complication of the available vehicle interfaces seem suited for people who get their jollies from figuring stuff out.

I would prefer more elegance in these interfaces. However, the driving experience can't be beat. (That's a period at the end of the last sentence).

mamba

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Guys

I got my car yesterday, so trawling the forum for tips. I know this post is meant to be a poll about whether to shut down or not, but I noticed that everyone seems to lock the car manually. I have opted for keyless entry, so simply get out and walk away. Is there some advantage to manually locking?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
To lock and turn off: Press the Park button, get out of the car, close the driver's door then swipe the door handle sensor.

Using this approach you never need to press the "Start" button (so why is it there?).

These quirks and permutations are the definition of "over engineered." The complication of the available vehicle interfaces seem suited for people who get their jollies from figuring stuff out.
That is probably the features that come with Comfort Access? Or Exit as the case is.

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Guys

I got my car yesterday, so trawling the forum for tips. I know this post is meant to be a poll about whether to shut down or not, but I noticed that everyone seems to lock the car manually. I have opted for keyless entry, so simply get out and walk away. Is there some advantage to manually locking?
Is your Taycan a 2020 or 2021?

OP
OP
arijaycomet

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Hi Guys

I’ll be curious to see what others say. But my 2020 USA 4S unlocks on approach. But doesn’t appear to auto lock when leaving. So I lock it manually using door or key always.

mamba

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ll be curious to see what others say. But my 2020 USA 4S unlocks on approach. But doesn’t appear to auto lock when leaving. So I lock it manually using door or key always.
I’ve had a number of cars with keyless entry over the past 10 years and have never needed to do that.
Sponsored