Where is Porsche storing completed vehicles awaiting chips?

Bajas21

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just curious if anyone is aware of how Porsche is storing cars that are awaiting chips. My 4S was originally slated to be delivered in July, kept getting delayed and I got notification that it was completed two weeks ago and I have the vin, but delivery in now set for 12/3. Not optimistic that I’ll get it then, but it did get me thinking about where the car is sitting. Rail yard, port, field somewhere? They have to be stockpiling thousands of Taycans somewhere.

I’ve read that Ford now has more than 60k trucks awaiting chips. https://www.motorbiscuit.com/a-sea-of-incomplete-ford-f-150-pickups-over-60000-and-counting/
Sponsored

Max Powers

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Just curious if anyone is aware of how Porsche is storing cars that are awaiting chips. My 4S was originally slated to be delivered in July, kept getting delayed and I got notification that it was completed two weeks ago and I have the vin, but delivery in now set for 12/3. Not optimistic that I’ll get it then, but it did get me thinking about where the car is sitting. Rail yard, port, field somewhere? They have to be stockpiling thousands of Taycans somewhere.

I’ve read that Ford now has more than 60k trucks awaiting chips. https://www.motorbiscuit.com/a-sea-of-incomplete-ford-f-150-pickups-over-60000-and-counting/
My Cross Turismo was completed in July, shipped on 7/30, arrived in Houston on 8/23 and has been sitting in the port ever since. Current delivery scheduled for 10/1. Fingers crossed!

Kittybaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
Country flag
My Cross Turismo was completed in July, shipped on 7/30, arrived in Houston on 8/23 and has been sitting in the port ever since. Current delivery scheduled for 10/1. Fingers crossed!
When it's "sitting in port," is it out in the open? In a container? Or in some sort of garage?

KK84

First Name
Karol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4 Cross Turismo (on order)
Country flag

Mine is sitting at the dealers' parking lot, together with few others (missing TPMS, Porsche has put the ban on deliveries as they consider this a safety feature that is essential...). Apparently ca. 10k cars are affected (not sure if this relates to Porsche only or whole VW group).

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Looks that our vehicles have been on the same line in the Factory... same exterior, what did you choose for interior?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
When it's "sitting in port," is it out in the open? In a container? Or in some sort of garage?
When I went to pick up my wife from her cruise at Southampton docks here in the UK there was a massive gated car park full of Teslas at the docks. I don't know whether they were waiting for chips or to be distributed to dealers but they were outside.
There is a disused airfield near here where cars are often stored.

I don't imagine there is any hope of indoor storage given how many cars there are about.

Max Powers

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Looks that our vehicles have been on the same line in the Factory... same exterior, what did you choose for interior?
My wife wanted a light colored interior so we went with limestone beige. I saw the same color combination at the dealership on a Taycan Turbo S and really liked it, so I have no regrets... I only wish I could be sitting in it now!

Reactions: B61

Max Powers

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Looking at satellite imagery, it's a big fenced parking lot. There seems to be some garages, but I assume those are to install any missing component prior to the car continuing it's journey to the dealership...

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
Looking at satellite imagery, it's a big fenced parking lot. There seems to be some garages, but I assume those are to install any missing component prior to the car continuing it's journey to the dealership...
That's right for Baltimore. The RoRo comes in and unloads directly onto Dundalk (sometimes right up the river but most European deliveries are at Dundalk) and then they're staged for port-adds or transpo. Each manufacturer has space on the terminal for garages. It's not just cars either, JCB's tractors and construction equipment comes on here, Kubota does, everything.

The last time I looked at satellite imagery you could see a whole line of Vanquishs just hanging out.
Sponsored