daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
we love our Taycan’s but they are not perfect - to date I’ve learned the following areas require further investment by VW/Audi/Porsche
  • #1 priority by a long shot - in North America charging speed & reliability with regards to the EA network is substandard and unreliable
  • Porsche connect app is slow, unreliable, and has a substandard feature set
  • Charge America app - yeah - this app sucks
  • why are there 3 apps for EA charging? who thought this was a good idea?
  • 12V death issues persist while charging - if you’re charging there is always a chance the car might die due to 12V death issues
    • this is like dying of dehydration while swimming in a lake - kinda embarrassing don’t you think?
  • OTA updates are MIA - both technically and with any useful frequency
  • PCM software glitches plague this car
    • blank/black screens - yep
    • spinners of death - yep
    • map data that is incorrect or simply misleading - yep
    • lack of responsive UI to user input - yep
    • lack of persistent settings control for all user preferences
  • Vehicles systems that mysterious are unavailable (parking) and then after some time magically come back
  • Taycan stamina under high performance conditions (track use) may have been over marketed - the car can not run a full 20 or 25 min typical track day session at full pace
  • PMCC‘s have barely adequate supply cable for NEMA 14-50/6-50 plugs - causing uncomfortable thermal issues for handling the mobile charger
  • Dealers seem ill-equipped to deal with the complexity of this new and fascinating EV
  • Parts supplies for defective Taycan seem to be handled by the same logistics personnel that work for Tesla - long delays for repair are typical for Taycans
  • main drive train faults and shutdowns - this is bad when it happens - just ask those who’s vehicles are waiting for repairs
  • WiFi hotspot is useful how? please explain?
  • Wireless charging overheats the phone which shutsdown due to overheating
  • Charging timer and battery SOC target interacxtion model is overly complex and nearly useless, confusing is an understatement
that’s all for now - but I’d like to capture a list of things we need Porsche needs to improve - as the list evolves I’d like to try and prioritize - i.e _IF_ we could get Porsche to “fix” 3 things from the list - which 3 are the most important?
Sponsored

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
as noted by my constant whining;) about a disastrous road trip, the fast charging needs to be addressed. another issue I am having, and this may be a RTFM thing, is that some settings do not lock in and need to be addressed. I cannot get the recuperation to remain on in the individual mode.
also the nav system is terrible, it offered me a 39 mile route to cover a 4 mile trip.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
based on @kort experience and all of our experiences I think we can all agree the #1 priority spot is going to be North American fast charging reliability - so all that’s up for discussion is priority 2 & 3…

I have also added kort’s feedback about the lack of settings persistence - I agree - but it’s part of the PCM sucks sub-category and that could go on for literally forever…

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The list if fine, but the complaints need to be brought to the attention of the powers to be depending on the specifics
- form an organized group?
- Just post complaints on the forum?
- all the YouTubers and automotive press?
- Letter to the President of Porsche US? I got a nice letter from the President of Porsche Canada when I got the car so I could write him back
- Congressmen/Senators favorably disposed to EV's

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
we love our Taycan’s but they are not perfect - to date I’ve learned the following areas require further investment by VW/Audi/Porsche
  • #1 priority by a long shot - in North America charging speed & reliability with regards to the EA network is substandard and unreliable
  • 12V death issues persist while charging - if you’re charging there is always a chance the car might die due to 12V death issues
    • this is like dying of dehydration while swimming in a lake - kinda embarrassing don’t you think?
  • Vehicles systems that mysterious are unavailable (parking) and then after some time magically come back
  • Taycan stamina under high performance conditions (track use) may have been over marketed - the car can not run a full 20 or 25 min typical track day session at full pace
  • PMCC‘s have barely adequate supply cable for NEMA 14-50/6-50 plugs - causing uncomfortable thermal issues for handling the mobile charger
  • Dealers seem ill-equipped to deal with the complexity of this new and fascinating EV
  • Parts supplies for defective Taycan seem to be handled by the same logistics personnel that work for Tesla - long delays for repair are typical for Taycans
  • main drive train faults and shutdowns - this is bad when it happens - just ask those who’s vehicles are waiting for repairs
  • Charging timer and battery SOC target interacxtion model is overly complex and nearly useless, confusing is an understatement
that’s all for now - but I’d like to capture a list of things we need Porsche needs to improve - as the list evolves I’d like to try and prioritize - i.e _IF_ we could get Porsche to “fix” 3 things from the list - which 3 are the most important?
I vote for:
- fix the 12V battery issue
- make the EA network omnipresent and reliable
- actively use the OTA function to gradually fix all the other issues

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I think this is a reasonable approach but it needs to be less America centric!

I also think we should wait for the alleged major software update (however it is delivered) to be deployed and bedded in first before finalising any punch list as there is a fair chance many niggles will be addressed by this thereby deflating a more robust approach towards Porsche.

May be useful to categorise all issues and group by MY as not all issues (I think) span both MY20 and MY21.

Also suggest to be precise and crisp on the issues and detail desired behaviour rather than compile a list of rants. We need to rule out lack of RTFM situations and filter out misconceptions.

caytan

First Name
Zim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 4S
Country flag
I also think we should wait for the alleged major software update (however it is delivered) to be deployed and bedded in first before finalising any punch list as there is a fair chance many niggles will be addressed by this thereby deflating a more robust approach towards Porsche.
I suspect we, 2020 model year, might never see this update or it might be very very minor and that's it. From software development and deployment perspective it does not look like there is even a team working on this. They released car long ago and many many small updates should have been shipped already to iron out the deployment process. They shipped none. Deploying big update patch right now will likely result in disaster. Its just not smart thing to do. I will not install it until I see you guys be a guinea piggies ;-)

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suspect we, 2020 model year, might never see this update or it might be very very minor and that's it. From software development and deployment perspective it does not look like there is even a team working on this. They released car long ago and many many small updates should have been shipped already to iron out the deployment process. They shipped none. Deploying big update patch right now will likely result in disaster. Its just not smart thing to do. I will not install it until I see you guys be a guinea piggies ;-)
I'm in agreement with you - to date the data is trending towards this being the likely outcome…I do not believe Porsche as a company understands how to do OTA updates - they lack the "mindset" and organizational flexibility to do this…they also probably live in fear of "bricking" the fleet which is always a non-zero risk

I have to say I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed to date as this is a place where I had hoped Porsche had made the transition to modern thinking and process.

Tesla "wins" on Fast Charging reliability that actually works, plug & charge, and OTA updates - regardless of the "fart app" which can be ridiculed, my wife's Model X has gotten incrementally better several times since I took ownership of the Taycan in July of 2020…and I've gotten one dealer applied software update in that time from Porsche, with no clear release notes.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You're assuming you can elect to install or not....

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1) I don't care for the touch control to lock the door

2) The 12V issue was disappointing

3) I personally think range is poor

4) Afraid to use the APP (Seems to be what kills the 12V battery)

Short of that, it's ok. There will be some new cool cars coming along in the near future to buy......

chuckster

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 21 4s , Cayenne, Cayenne Diesel, MB 350
Country flag

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
1) I don't care for the touch control to lock the door

2) The 12V issue was disappointing

3) I personally think range is poor

4) Afraid to use the APP (Seems to be what kills the 12V battery)

Short of that, it's ok. There will be some new cool cars coming along in the near future to buy......
re #3, the range is just a bit shy of what I was getting in my model 3 AWD performance. I am ok with the range as long as there are reliable charging options.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Stop recycling parts - especially electronic modules in these cars.

It seems that the uncoordinated efforts among Porsche and its supporting manufacturers (either hardware OR software) is really hurting the total ecosystem. Case in point - it seems I got a recycled Comm module (not yet completely confirmed) that had another vehicle's VIN coded. Somewhere deep in the bowels of this Comm module's firmware, someone did not code the module initialization process properly - the module thinks it has TWO VINs stored. Thus, every time I start the car, I get a call from the friendly Vodafone folks at Porsche Connect. I think I know virtually all of the Vodafone folks who staff Porsche Connect on a first name basis now.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
FWIW, wireless phone charging seems to be an iPhone 12 only issue. And if you have a case thicker than 1-2 mm you will have problems. These are not likely Porsche issues, rather limitations with the technology.
Sponsored