Which one would you buy: a 2020 Turbo or a 2022 4S?

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
The long waitlist for a Taycan allocation has made me start looking at used markets. I mainly focus on private party ads as I find the asking prices a little bit more reasonable compared to dealers'. Right now for $135k - $140k, I can get a 2020 Turbo at 15% - 20% off MSRP, or a 2022 4S at slightly under MSRP.

Pros of a 2020 Turbo:
  • quicker
  • More/better options
  • flatter depreciation curve moving forward?
Pros of a 2022 4S:
  • lower mileage
  • under warranty for longer
  • better tech and fewer issues?
Obviously these are based on average and will depend on the specific cars.

Wondering what people think!
Sponsored

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
The software update closes the gap on the tech issues I suppose.

My take is that if both cars are not new off the lot, then you may as well go for the Turbo

Reactions: B61

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Other key difference is 2020 doesn't have plug & charge. I think you can get plug & charge now if you retrofit the onboard charger to the 22kW charger. There's also the steering column adjustment as well. Porsche had to stop putting it in 2021 and 2022 because of part shortage. Those that don't have the electronic steering column adjustment won't be getting a retrofit. I like having it since it does make getting in out of the car easier since the Taycan will move the steering wheel up and in automatically when you are getting out.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I‘d take something that’s closer to what I wanted (colour, options), but 2 years are quite a lot, so my vote goes to 2022 4s.

Visceral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 Turbo S. Spyder and CT4S on the way
Country flag
I'd focus on the other options. The performance options on a 4S make for better driving car than a base Turbo. Get the car with the right seats for you and the right color. I've spent a lot of time wiht a 2020 and a 2022 and there was very very little difference after the uPdate.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Other key difference is 2020 doesn't have plug & charge. I think you can get plug & charge now if you retrofit the onboard charger to the 22kW charger. There's also the steering column adjustment as well. Porsche had to stop putting it in 2021 and 2022 because of part shortage. Those that don't have the electronic steering column adjustment won't be getting a retrofit. I like having it since it does make getting in out of the car easier since the Taycan will move the steering wheel up and in automatically when you are getting out.
Lack of Plug N Charge is less relevant now given that the used 2020 Turbo has already lost 2 of its 3 years of free EA fast charging, so in another year that feature will be largely irrelevant I think.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
just get a CPO 2020 turbo, I got the 3 years of free charging and my warranty is good until 2026.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
For me, I would want to see the option list for each before deciding.. But newer is always better with Porsche.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
P&G is only good for E.A. chargers and takes a while to get started. Have run into E.A. chargers that will not P&C. I carry a handful of RFID cards for the various other vendors. RFID cards are fast and work when other methods do not. Get the car that has the oprions set you like the best. The 4S is way faster than is necessary for general traffic conditions. After you quickly wear out a set of tires and your main squeez tells you to constantly slow down the Turbo may seem like not the best choice.

Quest786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Tesla Model X
Country flag
I went for a well-optioned Turbo S 2020 rather than a well-optioned 2022 4S. Coming from a Panamera Turbo, Taycan 4S seemed like a bit of a downgrade. Same shape, and now with the same software it is/was a no-brainer for me.

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
I have Turbo and think it is too fast, little tap on accelator pedal and you are over speed limits, hold it for few seconds and you are in prison.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have Turbo and think it is too fast, little tap on accelator pedal and you are over speed limits, hold it for few seconds and you are in prison.
just don't do that then lol
Sponsored