Which options improve range?

Tiekhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Cayenne Diesel
Country flag
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a three years now... I had put a deposit down years ago, but never proceeded to order a Taycan because I wanted all the early production issues to be solved, and I wanted some options that are only now being made available.

Range is important to me since I make 2-3 long trips every year, and the charging infrastructure seems... flakey... at best. I'm kind of used to having the range and peace of mind that my Panamera GTS gives me, so going to a much more range limited car is discomforting to say the least!

With range in mind, what options should I throw in or out? For example, is the range of the 4s much more than the Turbo? 19" vs 20" vs 21" wheels, panoramic vs bubble roof, etc.? Would love some advice!
Sponsored

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
4s with big battery and 19” wheels should give the best range. If range really is a major issue 19” wheels will give you the biggest extra I think.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
4s, 19'' wheels, RWD, do not tick any performance options (PDCC, rear wheel-drive, electric sound) because they add weight.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
The Range calculator on the Porsche website indicates that the 20" Turbo Aero wheels give a slightly better range than the 19" wheels.

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
The Range calculator on the Porsche website indicates that the 20" Turbo Aero wheels give a slightly better range than the 19" wheels.
Strange. Have seen youtube reviews stating range advantage for the 19", especially seeing the narrower tires which decrease drag.

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a three years now... I had put a deposit down years ago, but never proceeded to order a Taycan because I wanted all the early production issues to be solved, and I wanted some options that are only now being made available.

Range is important to me since I make 2-3 long trips every year, and the charging infrastructure seems... flakey... at best. I'm kind of used to having the range and peace of mind that my Panamera GTS gives me, so going to a much more range limited car is discomforting to say the least!

With range in mind, what options should I throw in or out? For example, is the range of the 4s much more than the Turbo? 19" vs 20" vs 21" wheels, panoramic vs bubble roof, etc.? Would love some advice!
If range is very important to you, I don't think what you leave off will be that big of a help. If in doubt, wait for a longer range model. Porsche builds sports cars and range is second. I don't think you will see 400 plus range from Porsche for a long time. If it matters, move to another model or see what the Macan Electric offers in 2022.

OP
OP

Tiekhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Makes me wonder how accurate the calculator really is...

OP
OP

Tiekhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If range is very important to you, I don't think what you leave off will be that big of a help. If in doubt, wait for a longer range model. Porsche builds sports cars and range is second. I don't think you will see 400 plus range from Porsche for a long time. If it matters, move to another model or see what the Macan Electric offers in 2022.
I'm primarily interested in 4s vs Turbo range... right now, the purchasing sweet spot appears to be the 4s. I'm thinking that the future GTS is really where I want to be, but it isn't out yet.

Sub-300 mile real world range when the charging infrastructure isn't extensive or reliable is a problem if I'm away from the interstates. Right now for the 2-3 times a year when I drive away from home, I need to go 350 miles each way. My Panamera is my DD, and any Taycan I get would become my DD, hence the range anxiety.

OP
OP

Tiekhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
4s, 19'' wheels, RWD, do not tick any performance options (PDCC, rear wheel-drive, electric sound) because they add weight.
I was going to go for all these options since they affect handling otherwise why buy a Taycan right? :)

I do need things like AWD to get up my steep, occasionally snow/ice covered driveway.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I would get heated (and possibly ventilated) seats and steering wheel. In hot or cold weather these can help reduce the load on the air conditioning. It uses a lot less energy to heat the seat and steering wheel versus heating all the air in the cabin. Comes in handy if you are trying to eek out a few extra miles on a road trip and don't mind turning down/off the air conditioning.

Thermal and noise insulated glass might be another option to consider for the same reasons.

Make sure to get the 150kW/400V charger. Many of the chargers on the road are 400V, so this will improve charging times for those chargers.

Last is the intelligent range manager. Others will need to chime in on this, but I believe it helps by pre-heating the battery if a high speed DC charger is selected as your destination. This helps improve charging times.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Performance+ battery, 19 or 20" wheels, 150/400 charger. That's it, everything else is negligible gain or loss of range.

If you were to min/max EVERYTHING else you'd maybe gain 5 or 10 miles. Get the car you want.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I was going to go for all these options since they affect handling otherwise why buy a Taycan right? :)

I do need things like AWD to get up my steep, occasionally snow/ice covered driveway.
The extra handling options (RAS, PTV+, PDCC) have little effect on highway efficiency - they have a small effect on acceleration efficiency, but probably less than the extra weight of the Panorama roof.
Also, the 20” Aeroblade larger wheel blades and stiffer tire sidewalls may make more improvement than the drag of wider tires.

a63strat

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ll let others weigh in on options, but your personal preferences should have a lot to do with it. On your long trips, do you want to arrive as fast as possible? The “range” choice on my Taycan limits speed to 70 mph. (That might be a setting that I haven’t found yet.) If you don’t mind a charging break every 3+ hours (sometimes away from freeways), depending on where you live, long trips shouldn’t be a problem. Also, the “anxiety” factor might be considered: the fear that you’ll run out of battery someplace (I felt that traveling to NYC).
Sponsored