Which PG&E rate plan are you on?

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
California Tycoon owners who are chained to PG&E: Which rate plan are you on? Currently I am on TOU-C and wondering whether EV-2A will save me money or not?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I'm on EV-A (not EV-2A) which is no longer offered - but I think it's saving me money cause I do all my charging "off peak" - most of the other usage is offset by Solar+Batteries - and I use the batteries to "defend" against "peak" rates…i.e. I don't use any power during peak rates via a combination of battery power and solar…

OP
OP

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
Nice! Makes a lot of sense as it gives you best of both worlds.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
PG&E prisoner... I'm on E-1. All my lights and appliances are high efficiency and I don't need to charge often enough to move up the cost tiers. My bill wouldn't be cheaper by switching plans looking at the rates offered right now.

Probably not helpful for you question! Boo PG&E.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I'm on EV-A (not EV-2A) which is no longer offered - but I think it's saving me money cause I do all my charging "off peak" - most of the other usage is offset by Solar+Batteries - and I use the batteries to "defend" against "peak" rates…i.e. I don't use any power during peak rates via a combination of battery power and solar…
Rather than be redundant, I'll just say "same here" pretty much across the board including the EV-A rate plan. We don't drive a lot of miles every day with our BEVs and I typically charge them before the SOC drops too far, so I usually have the solar capacity to top them up during the day, run the household, and charge our Powerwalls. I rarely use the grid even overnight so I basically have no PG&E electric costs other than the basic connection fee.

Last edited:

hmmwv79

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan base RWD
Country flag
Rather than be redundant, I'll just say "same here" pretty much across the board including the EV-A rate plan. We don't drive a lot of miles every day with our BEVs and I typically charge them before the SOC drops too far, so I usually have the solar capacity to top them up during the day, run the household, and charge our Powerwalls. I rarely use the grid even overnight so I basically have no PG&E electric costs other than the basic connection fee.
Hi. Like you I don't pay for much electricity since my solar will cover most of it. True up cost around $100 per year.

Based on my usage, does it make sense to change ev-a plan or stick to e1 plan?

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi. Like you I don't pay for much electricity since my solar will cover most of it. True up cost around $100 per year.

Based on my usage, does it make sense to change ev-a plan or stick to e1 plan?
My EV rate plan has been grandfathered and I'm not sure what the details are around the latest EV plan that is available. I will say that at true up time I actually get money back. Two years ago, it was almost $400 and last year it was around $150.

Since it doesn't cost anything to change rate plans it might be worth at least looking into the EV plan to see if there might be a benefit to you.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was on EVA but PGE migrated our house to the 2A plan unbenounced to me. Are you sure you are still on the original plan? They indicated that they migrated everyone off of the plan.

That said, 2A looks a little more manageable - lower costs overnight, but a much wider berth for that lower rate up through to the afternoon time frame.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was on EVA but PGE migrated our house to the 2A plan unbenounced to me. Are you sure you are still on the original plan? They indicated that they migrated everyone off of the plan.

That said, 2A looks a little more manageable - lower costs overnight, but a much wider berth for that lower rate up through to the afternoon time frame.
I'm as sure as I can be; just checked my account online and it still shows the EV-A rate plan and not EV2-A.

Quite a while back (maybe a year or so?) I received a letter from PG&E indicating that they would be switching me to the new EV2 plan unless I responded positively and told them that I wanted to stay on the old plan. I sent in the form they included and eventually received a reply confirming my continuing status on the grandfathered plan.

Maybe you missed seeing the letter or maybe they never sent you one?

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm as sure as I can be; just checked my account online and it still shows the EV-A rate plan and not EV2-A.

Quite a while back (maybe a year or so?) I received a letter from PG&E indicating that they would be switching me to the new EV2 plan unless I responded positively and told them that I wanted to stay on the old plan. I sent in the form they included and eventually received a reply confirming my continuing status on the grandfathered plan.

Maybe you missed seeing the letter or maybe they never sent you one?
and there it is...I missed the letter! Thanks for the explanation - it's been a mystery to me. That said, the wider birth for the lower tier has worked well.

I would have loved to have had created a second box with the EV-A rate to use for charging only.
Sponsored