First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Country flag
Dear forum,

I have been very impressed and happy with my 4s, taken delivery 18 July just outside Oslo, Norway. While driving home from work today, I lost all power, however all instruments were powered on.

The following error message appeared, which translates into: The electrical system of the vehicle is defect. Park the vehicle safely." I tried turning it on and off several times, including several minutes between attempts to try to make the car go to deep sleep. No change. Had to be towed away to the dealer. I know there have been some complaints related to the 12v battery, however this incident happened during driving.

The car had 71% charge, was charged at 1.9 kw for about 8 hours at work just prior to driving, about 16 km (10 miles) when this happened.

Depending on the dealers findings and interventions, I am now very sceptical to drive the car. Any experiences/advice?
Porsche Taycan While driving along, sudden stop and "Electrical fault" IMG_3935-5
Sponsored

Last edited:

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Sorry to hear about this. Was your air conditioning working OK at the time of failure? I've heard that the car will become inoperable if the AC isn't working since it helps to cool the battery, motors & power electronics. Please let us know what the dealer did to solve the fault.

OP
OP
leftang

leftang

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Country flag
There was no error message from the AC, however I didnt specifically check as the outside temp was about 20 degrees C and no particular need for AC.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Understood

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your experience. Please let us know when the problem is located, and what solution or fix Porsche Center came up with. Thanx!

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Sounds really bad, hopefully just a loose cable or a software glitch that they can fix quickly. I have not heard of any massive battery failures so crossing my fingers for you!

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The following error message appeared, which translates into: The electrical system of the vehicle is defect. Park the vehicle safely." I tried turning it on and off several times, including several minutes between attempts to try to make the car go to deep sleep. No change. Had to be towed away to the dealer. I know there have been some complaints related to the 12v battery, however this incident happened during driving.
Did you try @louv's solution in this thread? https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/is-this-the-dreaded-12v-battery-issue.1971/

OP
OP
leftang

leftang

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Country flag
The dealer have been quite service minded. On friday they told me the German HQ wants to replace the main battery. 2 weeks for the battery to arrive, then 2 d labour. Unfortunately no detailed info, as I spoke to a rep, not a technician.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Excuse my scepticism, bit that seems like a lot of work and a VERY big expense just for the sake of temperature sensor!
Thrilled yougot your car back though. I hope your travels are un eventful in the future.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
by main battery you are referring to the 93 kWh big big big battery?

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Excuse my scepticism, bit that seems like a lot of work and a VERY big expense just for the sake of temperature sensor!
Thrilled yougot your car back though. I hope your travels are un eventful in the future.
It's less work than you might expect but it is mega-expensive. I'm not surprised given that this the first year of production. Rather than have a very unhappy customer with an issue they can't resolve quickly, they'd rather get the pack back to Germany & analyze the issue in the lab to make sure it's not something that's going to affect a bunch of other cars.

GileP

First Name
Giles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had exactly the same problem this morning in my 4s (batt +). Been driving for about 5 miles. Battery was at 84%. it just cut out and the same message (in english as I'm in the UK). I stopped, got out, locked the car, unlocked it and everything was fine again. Will report it to the dealer if it happens again. Not good though.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had exactly the same problem this morning in my 4s (batt +). Been driving for about 5 miles. Battery was at 84%. it just cut out and the same message (in english as I'm in the UK). I stopped, got out, locked the car, unlocked it and everything was fine again. Will report it to the dealer if it happens again. Not good though.
Report it via email straight away would be my advice
Sponsored