Who has experience going from Taycan Sedan to Taycan Cross Turismo?

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I have a '21 Taycan 4S Sedan. I love the car, but find its utility limiting with regard to the rear seat comfort for driving with friends (e.g., taking two adult friends who are both about 6' tall on trips to dinner or road trips) and for luggage space/hauling capacity. This means the car often sits in the garage in favor of taking our BMW X5 or riding with friends instead. I understand the advantages of the CT with regard to rear seat head room as well as the benefits of the hatchback design for loading and carrying larger items. I am considering changing from the 4S sedan to either a CT4 or CT4S. I understand the CT4 will be less powerful and slower on 0-60+ times, but other than for an occasional blast of fun (usually to impress friends), I probably don't use anywhere near the full power of the 4S sedan. in fact, I have never (in 21 months of ownership) done a launch control start and probably have never really "floored" the car on acceleration. So, the CT4 is probably more than adequate for my needs.

I'm seeking feedback/experience from anyone who has made this transition - Taycan sedan to CT. I am not including the ST in this comparison since it is only available in the US as the GTS trim level and I don't want to spend that much money, and as noted above, I don't need/want that level of performance.

So, how much more useable is the car as a CT? Any adverse impact on handling, range, etc?

Looking forward to feedback. I have already made inquiries about allocations for a CT4 and CT4S. I am mostly leaning toward a CT4 in hopes I can effect the swap without the need for a lot of extra cash for the transaction (i.e., private sell the 4S for enough to buy the new CT4).
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have a '21 Taycan 4S Sedan. I love the car, but find its utility limiting with regard to the rear seat comfort for driving with friends (e.g., taking two adult friends who are both about 6' tall on trips to dinner or road trips) and for luggage space/hauling capacity. This means the car often sits in the garage in favor of taking our BMW X5 or riding with friends instead. I understand the advantages of the CT with regard to rear seat head room as well as the benefits of the hatchback design for loading and carrying larger items. I am considering changing from the 4S sedan to either a CT4 or CT4S. I understand the CT4 will be less powerful and slower on 0-60+ times, but other than for an occasional blast of fun (usually to impress friends), I probably don't use anywhere near the full power of the 4S sedan. in fact, I have never (in 21 months of ownership) done a launch control start and probably have never really "floored" the car on acceleration. So, the CT4 is probably more than adequate for my needs.

I'm seeking feedback/experience from anyone who has made this transition - Taycan sedan to CT. I am not including the ST in this comparison since it is only available in the US as the GTS trim level and I don't want to spend that much money, and as noted above, I don't need/want that level of performance.

So, how much more useable is the car as a CT? Any adverse impact on handling, range, etc?

Looking forward to feedback. I have already made inquiries about allocations for a CT4 and CT4S. I am mostly leaning toward a CT4 in hopes I can effect the swap without the need for a lot of extra cash for the transaction (i.e., private sell the 4S for enough to buy the new CT4).
The cars will be identical in almost all respects so no need to overthink this.

CT / ST is more practical for loading (obvious) and rear headroom greater due to higher roofline.

Range etc will be similar as will performance and handling on equivalent models.

Why not test drive rather than rely on other input.

I have the sedan and waiting on my GTS ST. I would never have purchased the sedan had the ST / CT variants been available from Taycan launch.

Reactions: OJC

tomtom901

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD ST
Country flag
I can't directly comment, but besides me and partner, I have 2 friends who are quite tall (6,3 foot). I picked one of them up in a Taycan 4S Sedan while I was test driving it, and he sat in the backseat with his head directly in the panoramic roof and not very comfortable. Now, with my ST, he can easily sit in the back seat for longer journeys with a bit of headroom to spare.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I went from a G05 X5 to a 4S CT. I test drove a GTS Saloon but decided that going from a BMW "van" to the saloon was a step too far. Having had the 4S CT for 3 weeks, I'm struggling to remember how it compares with the saloon now. I am delighted with the handling of the CT ....my wife who loved the saloon also says it is like driving on rails. My guess is that after a few weeks in a CT, you'll forget about any difference from the saloon.
We have just had a week away with our 2 grown-up kids, one 6'1" the other 5'9" and both were happy in the back for 3 hours at a time.
Luggage space is also pretty good. We took 3 standard size suitcases and 2 cabin sized cases plus plied a few bags in as well. I thought I would have to buy a roof box but we managed fine.

Porsche Taycan Who has experience going from Taycan Sedan to Taycan Cross Turismo? 20221227_114010

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The cars will be identical in almost all respects so no need to overthink this.

CT / ST is more practical for loading (obvious) and rear headroom greater due to higher roofline.

Range etc will be similar as will performance and handling on equivalent models.

Why not test drive rather than rely on other input.

I have the sedan and waiting on my GTS ST. I would never have purchased the sedan had the ST / CT variants been available from Taycan launch.
Agree on test drive, but CTs (new or used) are hard to find in stock at local dealers.

When my 4S sedan arrived in April 2021 the CT has just been announced in the US. It seemed to make a lot more sense for an everyday useable car and I almost refused my ordered 4S to place an order for a CT. I did not make the switch at the time, but hindsight is often 20/20.

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can't directly comment, but besides me and partner, I have 2 friends who are quite tall (6,3 foot). I picked one of them up in a Taycan 4S Sedan while I was test driving it, and he sat in the backseat with his head directly in the panoramic roof and not very comfortable. Now, with my ST, he can easily sit in the back seat for longer journeys with a bit of headroom to spare.
We have two friends who are both 6'+. They rode with us on a day trip into the countryside for lunch recently. They did not complain, but headroom was seriously compromised and I felt a bit guilty on asking them to ride in back of the sedan.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
I went from a 2020 Taycan 4S sedan to 2021 Taycan CT4.

CT is quite a bit more usable, rear seat headroom and ingress/egress is quite a bit better, with a toddler it's so much easier. Trunk is a lot more usable for large items (costco runs), the sedan trunk was really unusable due to the angle at the back.

I went from 20" to 21" wheels so I think that's the main factor in range difference, but the CT isn't much worse. They drive almost identical, I guess you can feel the slight increase in ride height but it doesn't translate to much real world difference on public roads. FWIW I pulled a higher max G # on the same offramp in the CT4, probably because of the 305 PZeros vs 285 PS4S, so I don't think the handling argument holds water.

CT4 is down on power vs 4S, but I rarely miss it. From a roll the're not much different, it's really 0-30 where the 4S seems a lot stronger.

Otherwise the car is amazing just like the sedan, but gets way more looks and compliments. And you'll hadly ever see another on the road, vs sedans which can be popular depending on your locale.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I have 6.4 and i can sit on rear seat (in my CT4) without any problems.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag

I have had a Loaner Taycan RWD sedan for several weeks while my CT4S has been off the road... No way would I want a Sedan and definitely not RWD. As for 4 or 4S the 4 is decidedly less fun than the 4S.

GileP

First Name
Giles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I went from a 2020 Taycan 4S sedan to 2021 Taycan CT4.

CT is quite a bit more usable, rear seat headroom and ingress/egress is quite a bit better, with a toddler it's so much easier. Trunk is a lot more usable for large items (costco runs), the sedan trunk was really unusable due to the angle at the back.

I went from 20" to 21" wheels so I think that's the main factor in range difference, but the CT isn't much worse. They drive almost identical, I guess you can feel the slight increase in ride height but it doesn't translate to much real world difference on public roads. FWIW I pulled a higher max G # on the same offramp in the CT4, probably because of the 305 PZeros vs 285 PS4S, so I don't think the handling argument holds water.

CT4 is down on power vs 4S, but I rarely miss it. From a roll the're not much different, it's really 0-30 where the 4S seems a lot stronger.

Otherwise the car is amazing just like the sedan, but gets way more looks and compliments. And you'll hadly ever see another on the road, vs sedans which can be popular depending on your locale.

I have just changed from a 4S sedan to the 4sSports Turismo. drives the same as my sedan but with better loading etc. I too went from 20 to 21" wheels. Have you noticed any difference in the ride quality on the bigger wheels. To me the 20" wheels delivered a magic carpet ride along with great handling. The 21" wheels seem to be harsher and more jittery. Is it just me or have you experience the same?

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
I have just changed from a 4S sedan to the 4sSports Turismo. drives the same as my sedan but with better loading etc. I too went from 20 to 21" wheels. Have you noticed any difference in the ride quality on the bigger wheels. To me the 20" wheels delivered a magic carpet ride along with great handling. The 21" wheels seem to be harsher and more jittery. Is it just me or have you experience the same?
21's are a little stiffer, but the ride is still extremely comfortable IMO.

Reactions: B61

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I had a '20 sedan 4s. Got sick of the color so got a '21 black sedan 4s. However, I wanted something super unique, so ordered a loaded '22 Ice Grey CT4s.

I don't drive like a maniac, nor have I tracked any of my Taycan's, so I can't tell any difference of how the sedan or the sedan handle while driving in town, or on the highway. They both drive incredibly well. In my part of the country there are Electrify America chargers every 150 miles apart for where I like to go, so any small range difference between the sedan and the CT is not noticeable, at least to me.

The key thing is a more accessible rear storage area. I tend to hit the road a week or two a month to break up the monotony, so I like to put a computer monitor, clothes, bike stuff, and other stuff in the rear storage area. It is a lot easier to do that in a Cross Turismo. Also, putting the bike rack into the rear mounting bracket is a big benefit as well. I attached a couple of pictures to show the difference in carrying bikes.

I can't comment on putting tall people in the back seat, but I am almost 6'4 myself. It is not comfortable for anyone to sit behind me while I drive.

In 1980, my parents bought a Caprice Classic station wagon that had backwards facing seats. My brother and I used to sit back there and make faces at the people behind us. I like to think that my CT4s is more of a station wagon than it actually is so I can relive my childhood!

Porsche Taycan Who has experience going from Taycan Sedan to Taycan Cross Turismo? tempImageix4kbJ

Porsche Taycan Who has experience going from Taycan Sedan to Taycan Cross Turismo? IMG_3314.heic

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
This is your third, haha?

Yup. My first was the Frozen blue color. I was able to get my hands on it in April, 2020, just after COVID began. Loved the car, but the color got old very fast. In June 2021, a black 4s customer order arrived, but the customer had an issue in closing the deal, so I bought it instead.

I ordered the Ice Grey CT4s in the end of January, 2021 and it arrived in the beginning of June, 2022. I will be keeping this vehicle for a while!

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I think it's down to taste.

Personally I love the sedan look. Seller had a couple of unclaimed CTs for sale but I didn't even want to look at them. The design doesn't appeal to me.

During the test drive in a 4S sedan, I purposefully sat wife, kids and myself in the back several times to make sure nobody would bump their heads (I don't like the pan roof either as it's unpractical in my country during high summer).

Personally, I would keep the sedan and get shorter friends.

My two cents.
Sponsored