Who is finding the Spotify integration actually works well?

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Well after 4 months I finally got the Spotify integration working. But is it really? I am not sure it was worth the effort.

ALL I WANTED was to be able to say "Hey Porsche, play Spotify" so that I would not have to (1) hit Apple Car Play, then (2) Spotify, then (3) Play Liked Songs, then (4) Shuffle Play. I actually don't even want songs to shuffle because the Spotify algorithm seems to play the same songs over and over.

When I say "Hey Porsche," most of the time she says "Spot-EE-fy" and nothing happens.

If something does happen, it will be either:

(1) She says the program is not registered or something about Sirius radio not being installed
(2) The application launches but does not play
(3) The application plays for a split second, then the screen blinks, and it stops playing

Even if I decide to hit Play and then to remove Shuffle, it will ALWAYS default back to shuffle when I exit and return to the application.

So I guess I am stuck pushing more buttons, maybe more than before, its hard to tell.

Can anyone share their experience? Does it work for you?
Sponsored

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Well after 4 months I finally got the Spotify integration working. But is it really? I am not sure it was worth the effort.

ALL I WANTED was to be able to say "Hey Porsche, play Spotify" so that I would not have to (1) hit Apple Car Play, then (2) Spotify, then (3) Play Liked Songs, then (4) Shuffle Play. I actually don't even want songs to shuffle because the Spotify algorithm seems to play the same songs over and over.

When I say "Hey Porsche," most of the time she says "Spot-EE-fy" and nothing happens.

If something does happen, it will be either:

(1) She says the program is not registered or something about Sirius radio not being installed
(2) The application launches but does not play
(3) The application plays for a split second, then the screen blinks, and it stops playing

Even if I decide to hit Play and then to remove Shuffle, it will ALWAYS default back to shuffle when I exit and return to the application.

So I guess I am stuck pushing more buttons, maybe more than before, its hard to tell.

Can anyone share their experience? Does it work for you?
It is nowhere near as good as the BMW native Spotify integration
Seems very reliant on a strong LTE signal.
I have the two programmable buttons set to next source and next track. Using the next source button can be a good way to get Spotify started.
I have the shuffle issue but not sure it is all the time... I will check.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is nowhere near as good as the BMW native Spotify integration
Seems very reliant on a strong LTE signal.
I have the two programmable buttons set to next source and next track. Using the next source button can be a good way to get Spotify started.
I have the shuffle issue but not sure it is all the time... I will check.
Hmm, interesting use of the programmable button. I have one set to "next track" and the other controls my garage door since the HomeLink function is itself a pain in the rear. Need more programmable buttons!

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Yes, I added next source as the car always reverts to the last source played or Android Auto or Car Play hijack it ... so scrolling through sources is a nice easy way to get to the radio after setting off and realising Spotify is playing saves looking at the display while in traffic

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Checked mine today and switched between radio and Spotify several times and di not have the shuffle problem. Interestingly when I first selected Spotify it asked me to log in again... I'm not sure if it had received an update? I did re order the sources at weekend so that I don't have to tap the 3 dots and scroll down to see Spotify.... it has taken me 5 weeks of ownership to work out you can do that.... 🙈 Spotify now always shows next to Radio and Favourites as soon as I select Music icon

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Checked mine today and switched between radio and Spotify several times and di not have the shuffle problem. Interestingly when I first selected Spotify it asked me to log in again... I'm not sure if it had received an update? I did re order the sources at weekend so that I don't have to tap the 3 dots and scroll down to see Spotify.... it has taken me 5 weeks of ownership to work out you can do that.... 🙈 Spotify now always shows next to Radio and Favourites as soon as I select Music icon
are you still using the programmable button to switch radio vs Spotify? I have that on my list to try

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Yes, button on steering wheel for next track, button on dash to switch source

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Speuk, Simon, I am about halfway through implementing your recommendation. I am honestly doubtful, but hopeful. I re-programmed the programmable button on the dash to "source." Now it cycles through radio, Sirius XM, Apple Podcasts, maybe something else, and Spotify. I only want to cycle from radio (set to news) and Spotify. When it hit Spotify, it did not play immediately and I think it defaulted to pause. More importantly, how do I delete the other options?

I also need to figure how to reprogram HomeLink to open my garage. The original setting is still there but I need it to pop up as I approach the garage door.

On an unrelated matter, I received my British passport today. Help me figure this and I'll buy you a pint at a pub in London when I there in the next year. Otherwise I'll just revert back to CarPlay, and stop complaining.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
@Speuk, Simon, I am about halfway through implementing your recommendation. I am honestly doubtful, but hopeful. I re-programmed the programmable button on the dash to "source." Now it cycles through radio, Sirius XM, Apple Podcasts, maybe something else, and Spotify. I only want to cycle from radio (set to news) and Spotify. When it hit Spotify, it did not play immediately and I think it defaulted to pause. More importantly, how do I delete the other options?

I also need to figure how to reprogram HomeLink to open my garage. The original setting is still there but I need it to pop up as I approach the garage door.

On an unrelated matter, I received my British passport today. Help me figure this and I'll buy you a pint at a pub in London when I there in the next year. Otherwise I'll just revert back to CarPlay, and stop complaining.
Sadly you have to cycle through all sources. I've moved Spotify so it is next to Radio on the central display but I haven't checked if this changes the order they cycle through

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So cycling through each radio source is not an option for me, and at this point I've concluded that at least in my case there is no benefit to the integration that makes it perform better than Apple CarPlay. I noticed that there are indeed a few options within the integration that AppleCarPlay doesnt offer (like access to my playlists), but the glitchy behavior of it is aggravating. When manually activating it, it doesn't play automatically and locks up continuously. When I try to go to FM manually from it, it enters a cycle of death. When I try to access via "Hey Porsche" it rarely works. Its just not worth the effort to me. I am going back to accessing Spotify from Apple Car Play.

Thanks for listening (to me, not necessarily Spotify).

martino

First Name
Tino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
All - your stories about poor functionality are making me jealous! You're fortunate to have spotify working in your cars. I had the software upgrade on my Taycan September 2022 and have still not been able to get Spotify to work and am still getting the QR code cannot be retrieved errors!

Despite countless calls to the service team and lots of tickets to Germany, getting Spotify to work in their cars still seems to be beyond the team at Porsche. I only wish they'd spend more time observing how the other brands got Spotify to work out of the box on day 1 for all there customers.

I look forward to being able to contribute to this thread when Porsche finally get Spotify working.

Andy0565

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IPace
Country flag
OMG. You are all so much more patient than I am.

I tried the Spotify integration (briefly) couldn’t get past ‘login’ and headed to CarPlay.

My big annoyance is that CarPlay keeps butting in when I’m listening to the radio. Any ideas how I stop that?

The other downside of CarPlay is having to use the Porsche navigation so that I get directions on the dash. I actually think that the Porsche navigation is fine, I just get confused when I try and switch between the systems.

Maybe I’ll try the Spotify integration again.

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
The biggest issue with CarPlay, or at least Android Auto, v the native Spotify is the sound quality is just noticeably poorer.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OMG. You are all so much more patient than I am.

I tried the Spotify integration (briefly) couldn’t get past ‘login’ and headed to CarPlay.

My big annoyance is that CarPlay keeps butting in when I’m listening to the radio. Any ideas how I stop that?

The other downside of CarPlay is having to use the Porsche navigation so that I get directions on the dash. I actually think that the Porsche navigation is fine, I just get confused when I try and switch between the systems.

Maybe I’ll try the Spotify integration again.
Really the integration IMO is not worth it if you can access it via CarPlay. CarPlay doesn't seem to have too many fans on this site but it seems clear that Apple understands this tech better than Porsche and I see value in being able to look at the PCM to see when texts come in. I can also access Waze and other useful functions.

I have no problems accessing Spotify from CarPlay - I was just curious to see if the integration is better. Its not. Someone mentioned a difference in sound quality but I haven't seen that in my vehicle. I have the Bose system and it sounds good via either route.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All - your stories about poor functionality are making me jealous! You're fortunate to have spotify working in your cars. I had the software upgrade on my Taycan September 2022 and have still not been able to get Spotify to work and am still getting the QR code cannot be retrieved errors!

Despite countless calls to the service team and lots of tickets to Germany, getting Spotify to work in their cars still seems to be beyond the team at Porsche. I only wish they'd spend more time observing how the other brands got Spotify to work out of the box on day 1 for all there customers.

I look forward to being able to contribute to this thread when Porsche finally get Spotify working.
Are you an Android or iPhone customer? You shouldn't have any issue with CarPlay.
Sponsored