Why are the Taycan wheel options so limited (and mediocre for 19" and 20"IMO) compared to other models

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
For example, for the Panamera ST, I count 25 different wheel choices. For the Taycan and Taycan CT, depending on the model we only have about 8. :(
Sponsored

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
Aerodynamics?

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yeah, I didn't like any of the 19" or 20" options to be honest (just went with the cheapest 20" ones to replace later). The good news is there are a lot of after-market options at this point. And with the release of the Taycan CT, they added some CT-specific ones that will probably fit the regular Taycan.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
To be fair, a lot of those are the same wheels in different colors. The Taycan has color options in a separate drop down. 911 is this way also. Just the separate wheel designs are shown with color options separate.

That said, I would agree that it’s not the best selection (and still fewer overall).

On other models, there are less bad choices.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I think the fundamental problem for Porsche for the Taycan is range. If Porsche makes available less aerodynamic wheels, then owners who experience reductions in range will complain. This isn't an issue for the ICE Porsches, as people don't really care if their MPG drops because of their wheel choices. The problem is less pronounced in the larger wheels, basically because the large wheels themselves already impose a range penalty (supposedly ~10%) that is not easy to overcome with wheel aerodynamics. But the drop off in a 20" or 19" wheel is likely to be noticeable (supposedly ~3%).

Thus, if you're Porsche, you're not keen on making available wheels that impose this penalty. Better to let people buy third party and live with whatever range impacts they have assumed.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I like the 20" turbo aero and mission-e wheels. If it wasn't for the mandatory $7800 (w/PSCB brakes) I would have spec'd the mission-e on my '21 RWD.
Sponsored