Why go for the Performance Battery Plus?

Chris_S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I realise this might set people off but serious questions...

If range is not important (I only need a range of 150 miles) and re-sales value is not important (its on a lease deal) why would I pay almost £5k for the Performance Battery Plus especially when the performance numbers are very similar to the smaller standard battery?

Surely to lower weight will help with efficiency / handling as reported for the RWD version.

Keen to know thoughts /practical experiences?

TIA
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag

If range is not important (I only need a range of 150 miles) and re-sales value is not important (its on a lease deal) why would I pay almost £5k for the Performance Battery Plus especially when the performance numbers are very similar to the smaller standard battery?

Surely to lower weight will help with efficiency / handling as reported for the RWD version.

TIA
You may want some margin in the battery for less than ideal scenarios:

Bitter cold
Forgot to charge
Unplanned extra trip/route
Battery degradation over time
Easier to sell later

If none of these is important, you don’t need it for your use case.

DennisVR

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 997s
Country flag
0-60 is same with or without Performance Plus battery but beyond that Performance Plus battery is faster.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag

TIA
I have the smaller battery. Why? Cheaper, less weight (and all the attendant advantages therein). I get 250 miles of range - which is fine for me....to each his own

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
If you don’t need the range and resale doesn’t bother you then fill your boots. I have a PB 4S on Missions and can’t get near 250 miles range.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I am happy with the small battery.
(and small is relative. 79kwh is still a big battery compared to the average on the market)

In perfect conditions (warm weather, not too much highway, slow speeds ±100km/u) I get 400km.
In worst case real travel conditions ( freezing cold, car full of luggage, going uphill, faster highway speeds ±130km/u) I get 300km.
Typical average long distance range is around 340km.

Time between charging stops is 2.5 to 3.5 hours of driving. (because you do not always charge to 100%)

Getting more range than that was not worth the extra weight and cost for me.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

TIA
More performance (if that's important to you) from the Performance Plus (PB+) battery (clue is in the name). On the base Taycan (for example) more horses available - 326 PS (PB) & 380 PS (PB+)

Higher charging performance - 225kW (PB) vs 270kW (PB+).

Given you are leasing and range is not a concern then if you don't need more power then don't spend the money.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
It’s not a huge gain in performance or range either way and if you are fine with the smaller battery meeting your needs, no need to upgrade. I have the larger battery for the extra range as I do road trip and will take every mile I can get and I do on occasion like to show off performance, so I’ll take what I can get there too. I wouldn’t blame anyone for not optioning it tho.

OP
OP
Chris_S

Chris_S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Super useful comments, thanks everyone!

When placing my order I was torn between RWD and PB+ vs 4S with PB. The cost difference once you factor in air suspension is not actually that big per month but the performance boost looks significant.

Anyway that was my logic but with that mind set you end up moving up through the model range very quickly and spending an absolute fortune!

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Super useful comments, thanks everyone!

When placing my order I was torn between RWD and PB+ vs 4S with PB. The cost difference once you factor in air suspension is not actually that big per month but the performance boost looks significant.

Anyway that was my logic but with that mind set you end up moving up through the model range very quickly and spending an absolute fortune!
If it's the decision you've posited above - higher end model with smaller batter vs lower end model with bigger battery, it comes down to whether you value performance over range... and if you value performance more than range, it isn't a tough call.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
You convinced yourself. If the regular battery suits your needs, go for it. 200 miles i feel like is still a lot, and more than most people drive in a day.

Plus you can use the money you saved to get some silly but nice option you would've passed on due to cost, like deviated stitching or whatnot.
Sponsored