PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So, I put down a waitlist deposit for a CT4 today with the intention of trading in my 4S. I thought it might be useful for anyone considering which version to get to hear my logic.

1) Money. IMHO you're getting a lot more value in a well speccd CT4 than you are in a moderately speccd 4S. Depreciation may disagree but I believe the changes + much lower starting price get you a lot. You're coming in at least $15k under a similarly speccd Sedan 4S.

2) Options. There are a few options I'd like to choose differently and I just don't want to dish out the money for a new 4S. Specifically I'll be changing the exterior color, adding leather, adding 18 ways, and adding insulated glass.

3) The hatch + added ground clearance. Honestly these two tweaks, especially the hatch and rear headroom, really make the car significantly more functional. The trunk as is just sucks because of the shape & tiny entrance. Everyone that has a Taycan knows the dreaded "BREEEEEEP" when the trunk fails to close even though there is almost nothing in it.

The ground clearance in Lift right now is juuuust enough for me to feel okay taking it through a shitty ski resort parking lot, the extra 30mm will really help.

4) The extra speed is cool once in a while but really the 4 will be plenty fast enough. In 95% of my driving I find myself only using 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the throttle even when driving aggressively. I know people are addicted to speed, and I was with the 4S for the first month or so, but going from an insanely fast car to a very fast car seems just fine to me. Honestly I'll be excited to actually floor it more often. ?

So really it comes down to wanting to respec my car and believing the CT4 represents much better value.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
3) The hatch
We use my wife’s Panamera for hauling large items because it has so much space in the back. It’s been a surprising useful (practical?) vehicle.

So, we were going to trade it in on a Taycan (put a deposit down back in summer of ‘18) and then almost didn’t buy because she wanted a 4 (not a 4S) and we were losing the hatchback. We finally broke down and got a separate SUV to solve the hatchback issue and shelled out the extra for a 4S (even though she doesn’t even know where the sport mode button is in her car).

I showed her the CT4 now as it kind of solves both issues (and it was before our order was locked) but she likes the sedan look better.

I think your logic is reasonable if you like the lines on the CT. I could go either way myself. Actually, every time I see the CT, I think to myself that I wish it looked just a little more like an SUV. Then I picture the Macan and think, “Yeah, like that.”

Mrmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT63s amg, Panamera GTS, s560, Range Rover
Country flag
So, I put down a waitlist deposit for a CT4 today with the intention of trading in my 4S. I thought it might be useful for anyone considering which version to get to hear my logic.

1) Money. IMHO you're getting a lot more value in a well speccd CT4 than you are in a moderately speccd 4S. Depreciation may disagree but I believe the changes + much lower starting price get you a lot. You're coming in at least $15k under a similarly speccd Sedan 4S.

2) Options. There are a few options I'd like to choose differently and I just don't want to dish out the money for a new 4S. Specifically I'll be changing the exterior color, adding leather, adding 18 ways, and adding insulated glass.

3) The hatch + added ground clearance. Honestly these two tweaks, especially the hatch and rear headroom, really make the car significantly more functional. The trunk as is just sucks because of the shape & tiny entrance. Everyone that has a Taycan knows the dreaded "BREEEEEEP" when the trunk fails to close even though there is almost nothing in it.

The ground clearance in Lift right now is juuuust enough for me to feel okay taking it through a shitty ski resort parking lot, the extra 30mm will really help.

4) The extra speed is cool once in a while but really the 4 will be plenty fast enough. In 95% of my driving I find myself only using 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the throttle even when driving aggressively. I know people are addicted to speed, and I was with the 4S for the first month or so, but going from an insanely fast car to a very fast car seems just fine to me. Honestly I'll be excited to actually floor it more often. ?

So really it comes down to wanting to respec my car and believing the CT4 represents much better value.
Ct4 is meh,,
Who cares about value and depreciation in a sports car anyways. I think thats the wrong reason for a change.
To each their own.

steen

First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E-class coupe
Country flag
Seems the ct4 is better value. If you compare the rwd with the ct4 the cost difference is 11000. For that money you get the larger battery, air suspension, 4 wheel drive and the larger car. Only downside is less hp, but what motors are on the basic ct4? maybe it’s the same 180kw motors as on the 4s, but limited in software?
if so, someone will come up with a tuning in software some day For even better value of the ct4.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
While the CT4 might be a better value, you're going to take a bath trading in a 4S to get one. Especially if you have to pay the full sales tax again (like we do in CA)

OP
OP
PanameraFrank

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
While the CT4 might be a better value, you're going to take a bath trading in a 4S to get one. Especially if you have to pay the full sales tax again (like we do in CA)
Thankfully we get sales tax credit here, one of the reasons I'm thinking about it. I actually got a surprisingly good trade-in quote so I'll end up coming out in good shape, especially with an additional $7,500 tax rebate for next year.

I would not do it if I didn't get the sales tax credit here, didn't realize you had to double dip in CA. That majorly sucks.

Last edited:

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
I'm with you, PanameraFrank... I think that the CT4 is the best Taycan value out there -- so much is standard in it, and it's more practical than a Taycan sedan, and I think it looks better than the sedan. I've always been waiting for the CT, and I'm pleasantly surprised that they're offering the 4 version instead of just the 4S version, which is really overkill for me. I never thought I might be able to get a Taycan CT4 for under $100k, and it's possible.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I went to an event to look at the Cross Turismo today (there was a no-photos clause) and while the hatch appealed to me, it's not enough to make me buy a new car after getting this one in November. Also, downgrading from a 4s to a 4 sounds unappealing and I want to sit flat as a pancake to the ground. I want less ground clearance, not more :D

OP
OP
PanameraFrank

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I went to an event to look at the Cross Turismo today (there was a no-photos clause) and while the hatch appealed to me, it's not enough to make me buy a new car after getting this one in November. Also, downgrading from a 4s to a 4 sounds unappealing and I want to sit flat as a pancake to the ground. I want less ground clearance, not more :D
Ooh, tell me more. How much more/less did you like it than the Sedan?

My understanding was the" low" setting was the same ground clearance with the CT as the Sedan and it is only "normal" and "lift" that are improved.

I will admit that I'm having some second thoughts about going from the 4S to a 4. Also trying to gather more accurate information on the Turismo before I commit.. some confusing over what hardware the 4 is using and how the new air suspension settings/clearance operate.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Ooh, tell me more. How much more/less did you like it than the Sedan?
The car was a mamba green Turbo S with a ski box on rails on top. It felt the same in the driver's seat as the sedan.

I like it enough that if I didn't have a Taycan, I would definitely have bought one but not enough to trade mine in. I still prefer the look of the sedan.

I got to see it in the highest position and it certainly was high. I prefer a lower sportier look so all this crossover stuff just doesn't appeal to me.

I don't think the acceleration would have been a problem for me. After my first testdrive in the 4s, my first reaction was "Love it but can I get a slower version?"

I would also have saved quite some cash on a 4 CT and my wife would have loved the more practical look but it's too late (or too early) now.

paxton

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thankfully we get sales tax credit here, one of the reasons I'm thinking about it. I actually got a surprisingly good trade-in quote so I'll end up coming out in good shape, especially with an additional $7,500 tax rebate for next year.

I would not do it if I didn't get the sales tax credit here, didn't realize you had to double dip in CA. That majorly sucks.
@PanameraFrank Do you mind sharing what kind of trade in numbers you received?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PanameraFrank

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@PanameraFrank Do you mind sharing what kind of trade in numbers you received?
Yes! I received an offer of $112k for my $129k MSRP 4S with about 10k miles. Of course with the tax rebate that's really more of $112k for a 122.5k MSRP, which isn't terrible for 1 year/10k miles.

A different dealership offered me 105, and another 100. 112 feels like a fair number.
Sponsored