Why is my leg wet?!?? …and an AWD fault…

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I went to pick up breakfast this morning, was on my way home, Launch Control from a stoplight, and I suddenly felt a liquid either drip or spray on my right leg from above.

Looking back, I don’t think it was a spray, but at the time it felt like more than a drip, especially as it caught me off guard.

I wasn’t a bunch of liquid. It didn’t get anywhere else. When I pulled over to check it, it didn’t have a smell or color. Maybe water.

But, at the exact same time, I got an all-wheel-drive fault and the car had limited power. I could only go about 20mph.

I pulled over, tried turning the car off and back on. It didn’t change anything. Fortunately, I was close to home and could cut through some subdivisions at my reduced speed.

When home, I left the car off and locked for about 5 minutes while I was inside.

Then I took it on a quick test drive and everything was back to normal. No issues.

I’m guessing there was water pooled somewhere and it came out when I launched (I was also on a slight uphill grade) and that it’s unrelated to the AWD fault.

I took a pic, which I now realize doesn’t actually show the all wheel drive error message, just the performance limited message, but the AWD diagnostic light is on in the lower left.
Porsche Taycan Why is my leg wet?!?? …and an AWD fault… 21B2A376-E50C-40D7-9684-6E17291D78F2

Porsche Taycan Why is my leg wet?!?? …and an AWD fault… 5F46F4A9-E947-4F19-812D-B6D0337E9240

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I’ve noticed the taycan pools a large amount of water under the vehicle when cooling/charging and I always assumed it was either the drains for the vehicle or the AC condenser. But it is a ton of water. I’ve also noticed that the windshield spray collects on the driver door window frame and if you had the window slightly open the angle of the top frame will drop water directly onto your leg.

AWD error is no joke tho.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve noticed the taycan pools a large amount of water under the vehicle when cooling/charging and I always assumed it was either the drains for the vehicle or the AC condenser. But it is a ton of water. I’ve also noticed that the windshield spray collects on the driver door window frame and if you had the window slightly open the angle of the top frame will drop water directly onto your leg.
This source of the water was from somewhere under the dash. I did look under there and saw one vent hole. So maybe there. But it didn’t feel wet when I checked it (which was as soon as I got home, maybe 5 min after the incident).

I’ve noticed lots of water on the floor in our garage at various times also. My wife asked why the car is peeing on our floor.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
A few years ago the AC in my 718 was doubling as an ice maker, or more correctly an ice catapult. Turns out there was a service campaign that involved parts & some other adjustments to address the issue. Was your AC on at the time/recently?

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A few years ago the AC in my 718 was doubling as an ice maker, or more correctly an ice catapult. Turns out there was a service campaign that involved parts & some other adjustments to address the issue. Was your AC on at the time/recently?
Yes. Some other notes: it was hotter yesterday, then the car charged overnight in a hot garage, and then it was much cooler out today, especially this morning, but I did still have the AC on. I’m pretty sure it was water out of the vent, and then the LC along with the uphill grade made it come out. I’m guessing something went wrong with the LC to trigger the AWD drive fault also. So, maybe same cause, but otherwise unrelated symptoms.

But it scared me when it happened at the same time a fault popped up and the car went into limp mode.

I thought maybe the LC made the car sick and it threw up on me. ?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There is a service bulletin for some cars that were built with an interior condensate drain hose improperly attached. Maybe that applied to your vehicle...

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a service bulletin for some cars that were built with an interior condensate drain hose improperly attached. Maybe that applied to your vehicle...
Thanks.

I’m going to call the dealer on Monday about both issues and get their thoughts.

My wife’s afraid to drive it now. However, caring husband that I am, I’ve offered to continue driving and testing the car for her all weekend. ?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Thanks.

I’m going to call the dealer on Monday about both issues and get their thoughts.

My wife’s afraid to drive it now. However, caring husband that I am, I’ve offered to continue driving and testing the car for her all weekend. ?
Made it all up to have your wife hand over the car for good?;)

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have good news for you. If you tell your dealer that your car lost power (even though not completely) they will probably apply the DME and PE software patch and you don't have to wait for the recall.
I know at least two cases they applied the patch as a solution to turtle mode (even thought it probably isn't).

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had another AWD fault today. Again after a launch control. The car gets up to around 60 or so when this happens though, so…could be something with the gear change?

I pulled over, turned the car off, open and closed the door (to get the car to turn “all the way” off), sat there until the doors locked on their own (less than a minute), and then turned the car back on. All was okay.

I was getting onto a highway at the time, so the turtle mode wasn’t gonna cut it. I had to coast on my momentum until I hit a large enough shoulder to pull over.
Sponsored