Why is the glass roof required in the US?

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I asked this in the other Taycan forum and nobody knew. Anyone here know why Porsche is requiring us to get the glass roof in the US? I think I would have picked it anyway, but didn’t give it much thought since it’s required. But it’s strange that it’s required in the US but not elsewhere. Some kind of EPA thing?
Sponsored

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The aluminum roof is available in Europe AND will be available to order starting with June production for the US.
I'm actually waiting for this as I don't like the feel of the sun coming thru a glass roof or the impact of this in the summer.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hard to say. The EPA has been hassling Porsche big time and holding most of their new models, even with only minor modifications, at port for extended periods. That certainly could be part of it. More likely they just wanted to simplify the initial production run and most US customers spec a glass roof anyway.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The EPA has been hassling Porsche big time and holding most of their new models, even with only minor modifications, at port for extended periods.
Not questioning your statement, but could you provide a link to more information? I have a build slot for US delivery and this is concerning.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not questioning your statement, but could you provide a link to more information? I have a build slot for US delivery and this is concerning.
There have been delays in the past

https://www.autonews.com/article/20170911/RETAIL01/170919967/certification-delays-tie-up-porsches

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne...-coupes-delayed-until-spring-next-year-3.html (messages 31, 36)

I also asked a dealer if this is a common thing and he just sighed and said yes. If you look at your schedule it has 2 weeks in the US port - he said that can be 2 days, 2 weeks, or even longer.

No idea if this applies to the Taycan.

Jwhmwh875

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carmine Red Taycan 4S & Macan S
Country flag
I asked this in the other Taycan forum and nobody knew. Anyone here know why Porsche is requiring us to get the glass roof in the US? I think I would have picked it anyway, but didn’t give it much thought since it’s required. But it’s strange that it’s required in the US but not elsewhere. Some kind of EPA thing?
Most of the early orders wanted it and Glass roof = more $$$$ for Porsche. Wait till June 2020 if you want to opt. out.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
Most of the early orders wanted it and Glass roof = more $$$$ for Porsche. Wait till June 2020 if you want to opt. out.
Given the 6 week delays in the US, the non glass version will probably not be available to order until August with a December delivery....
Sponsored