"Why Paint Protection Film (PPF) Sucks - Watch this before you buy" - video

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I got to say, I think the video is a load of rubbish. The Urus has done 36k miles with PPF on it!! And as the video says, the film has likely protected the paint. Good as new. Isnt that the idea? Did anyone say PPF is meant to look good at 36K miles? Without it, the car would likely need more than a quick touch-up. Possibly paintwork needed that would outweigh the PPF value. And are re-sprayed panels ever as good as factory paint?
The guy in the video did say that PPF will protect the paint from a large percentage of chips, and if you're willing for spend thousands every time you get a stone ship which didn't make it through to the paint, PPF is in fact for you. His point was that most people don't want spend this kind of money, so they drive with damage to the PPF which looks same or worse than no PPF, and with paint you can cheaply touch it up so the chips are almost invisible. So as he said, PPF protects the paint for the subsequent owner, who might appreciate it, but won't pay any extra for it.

Looking at my case. If I had my dealer do PPF on my car, I would have had to redo it 9 days into ownership due to a couple of stone chips I picked up roadtripping, which instead I just touched up and buffed out, you'd have to look with a flashlight to find them. I'm definitely not one to spend many hundreds or even thousand or more of dollars per month to keep my car shiny.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I always wondered why manufacturers don't offer PPF except in very limited spots (almost like an afterthought, like door corners on a Toyota Corolla, which by the way suffer from the issue the first video mentioned).

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
If I had my dealer do PPF on my car, I would have had to redo it 9 days into ownership due to a couple of stone chips I picked up roadtripping,
That’s assuming it would have damaged the PPF. I don’t see PPF damage at the same rate I see chips on non-PPF cars.

I picked up an M3 from Ohio once and drove it home through a snow storm. The front bumper looked awful. I had it resprayed, put PPF on the front bumper, and it drove it 2 years (year round), about 50k miles and didn’t have any damage.

Thats also assuming you redo the PPF after any little hit. I did get a hit to the Taycan and waited almost a year to replace it. I think damaged PPF looks better than rock chips. And that’s the only damage the Taycan has seen in 30k miles.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s assuming it would have damaged the PPF. I don’t see PPF damage at the same rate I see chips on non-PPF cars.
Fair point. I have no experience with what PPF would not penetrate. On the few PPF I did have however (all partial, came with the car) I really did hate it after a couple of years, suffering from all the issues mentioned in that video (edges, bugs, stone chips, and discoloration compared to unprotected paint). All were white cars btw.

Out of curiosity, how often do you redo your PPF, at what initial vs. replacement costs?

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Out of curiosity, how often do you redo your PPF, at what initial vs. replacement costs?
The BMW was just the front bumper and I never replaced it. Initial cost was rolled into the respray, so I don’t know the PPF cost was by itself. I think I paid $1000 or $1200 for everything.

The front bumper on the Taycan was replaced after 1 year. The hood and mirrors are original. I think it was $2500 for the full front and $500 to redo the bumper.

The 911 is full and was $8k. Haven’t replaced anything on it other than the front bumper, but only because the bumper was replaced from other damage. Something fell off of a flatbed trailer in front of me and took out my bumper, condenser, and radiator on one side. Insurance included the PPF replacement, but I think it was $700 to replace if out of pocket.

I had PPF on a lotus once also. I didn’t have to replace that during my ownership either and it was on the car when I bought it new from dealer in 2005. I don’t know what the cost was and it probably wouldn’t be relevant anyway since it was so long ago.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
PPF is peace of mind. After 41,000 miles of not worrying about driving through construction zones and behind gravel trucks, I have no damage that I can see without my reading glasses. I also have windshield protection film and am on the original glass with no chips or cracks. The wheels on the other hand . . . I had to have those stripped and re-powder coated due to all the gravel damage.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I have full front in PPF and then some. This includes the lower front spoiler, hood, headlights, side mirrors (I have the carbon caps), and all four doors. I guess I went cheap by not doing the whole car lol. Well, and what do you know....I somehow got a scratch on the rear fender. Having them on the doors saved me a few times when people were unaware of what they were carrying hit or swiped my car.

At the very, very least, I would get PPF on the headlights. Those plastic lenses can look pretty beat up after a few years.

My thoughts on PPF? I never thought it was worth it until I got it--if that makes any sense.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
The guy that did the original video in this thread did a great job. He made some excellent and logical points. I will still PPF my car with perfect clarity that it is actually doing me very little good…..
Sponsored