Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Anyone who's owned a Porsche knows this. I stopped driving my Panamera on the low setting on the highway and the hood chips reduced significantly.
Our Panamera was awful for rock chips. Hood especially. There was no way I was letting that happen to our beautiful green Taycan.
Sponsored

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi @Skilly, Which installer do you use? I'm in Palo Alto - Turbo S due in Jan. Happy to hear your recommendation.
Congrats on the new ride!!

I have used a few, but by far the best I have seen is Elite Auto Concepts - https://www.eliteautoconcepts.com/

its a division of Elite Motor Cars - very well connected in the car community and a very good reputation.

SECRET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
That video needs to be contrasted with one that explains the incredible benefits of PPF.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks! I'll check them out.
Any of your experiences with Mum Sports?

I interviewed Auto Pro Detailing and Mum, which I preferred. They do a custom-cut over-wrap to ensure no visible edges.
Custom cut makes all the difference - if they use a template and try to hide the edges they will stretch/warp the material. The next is check to see the product that they use. Xpel is thinner so it's easier to work with and typically customers have to apply ceramic coating to get a full hydrophobic product. I'm assuming during the interviews you are inspecting their work - feel free to drop by Elite to do the same they always have several cars in flight; and they are high end cars with perfection a must.

I did my R8 in Stek Stealth (it's on their opening page). Im dropping my Taycan off there on Wednesday for a complete PPF. very good stuff!! Happy to meet you and let you see it; it's almost a year old and not a single spot lifting or showing edges.

Porsche Taycan "Why Paint Protection Film (PPF) Sucks - Watch this before you buy" - video Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 7.21.49 AM

SECRET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Thanks! I'll check them out.
Any of your experiences with Mum Sports?

I interviewed Auto Pro Detailing and Mum, which I preferred. They do a custom-cut over-wrap to ensure no visible edges.
I highly suggest Premier Protective Films in Fremont. Their schedule is booked out a ways, but their results are second to none.

New Porsche Taycan Turbo S - A Closer Look at our Custom PPF Installations
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S: Chalk Grey - PPF / Tinted / Detailed
2020 Porsche Taycan / ClearGuard Alpha + Walk Around
2020 Porsche Taycan | Which Panels Need PPF? | A Closer Look

Nmoranda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Y’all made me super nervous with this thread. I was on the fence earlier about getting PPF after all the back and forth. I’ve put 20k miles on my Panamera and went out to see what the front looks like up close. It’s bad, I have 6 rock chips in the hood alone. Although they are little and hardly noticeable from far, I’ve decided to go ahead with the film on my Taycan arriving in a week or so.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Until I joined this forum I didn't realise one could get ppf added to a car. My 500E which has done 125000 very high speed miles (I drove it a lot on the continent 20+ years ago) has quite a few dents from stones and debris plus replacement headlights and windscreens. The car I have driven around in the UK for the last 3 ½ years doesn't have any dings at all, I just looked, though I don't do the high speed long trips any more.
I am still in 2 minds about it since it costs more than a set of winter wheels and tyres...

Nmoranda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
The car I have driven around in the UK for the last 3 ½ years doesn't have any dings at all, I just looked, though I don't do the high speed long trips any more...
There’s a lot to be said about where the car is driven. I’m in CA where traffic is heinous all the time. I think rocks are kicked up from other cars, causing the damage.

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
Until I joined this forum I didn't realise one could get ppf added to a car. My 500E which has done 125000 very high speed miles (I drove it a lot on the continent 20+ years ago) has quite a few dents from stones and debris plus replacement headlights and windscreens. The car I have driven around in the UK for the last 3 ½ years doesn't have any dings at all, I just looked, though I don't do the high speed long trips any more.
I am still in 2 minds about it since it costs more than a set of winter wheels and tyres...
Apparently our lease company doesn’t permit winter tyres, not insured for their use apparently …. How crazy is that?!

So it does mean that I i will probably get PPF done to the front now, as all my miles are motorway miles and I’m fed up of stone chips!

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Apparently our lease company doesn’t permit winter tyres, not insured for their use apparently …. How crazy is that?!
It is downright stupid of the lease company. I would try to find a person with some common sense to have them allow it! Or have a lawyer send them a letter warning of their liability in case of accident. Will they allow at least all-weather tires ?

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
It is downright stupid of the lease company. I would try to find a person with some common sense to have them allow it! Or have a lawyer send them a letter warning of their liability in case of accident. Will they allow at least all-weather tires.
I find it impossible to believe, but other colleagues have asked specifically, i have been told.

I believe UK insurers have to accept winter tyres and not charge any administration fees when swapping from summers to winters and vice versa, so I’m not sure where this stance is coming from.

Anyway, it frees up budget for PPF which I’m sure will stop me from skidding through a junction ?
Sponsored