"Why Paint Protection Film (PPF) Sucks - Watch this before you buy" - video

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
update: I've put several thousand miles on my ct4 already, including camping trips up gravel roads, and still don't see any need for me to waste my money on PPF.
Get the flashlight/paint light out.....
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
My comment was that there is no damage to protect from.

update: I've put several thousand miles on my ct4 already, including camping trips up gravel roads, and still don't see any need for me to waste my money on PPF.
Most off-roading I've done it was unavoidable to get small paint chips and scratches. You don't see too many pristine trail rigs out there. Maybe you just don't look very close because you're not concerned about it.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
My comment was that there is no damage to protect from.

You clearly have not experienced the roads around my area in Houston where there seem to be endless road (and other) construction projects where large pickup trucks and other vehicles invariably spray road detritus onto your car - my last uncovered car, now many years ago (E46), was literally pebble dashed across the width it's front bumper - obviously depends on where you live etc and as they say, YMMV.

Foreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i8 roadster
Country flag
PPF complete! Elite Motors did a spectacular job. I love the depth and luster that was introduced to the red by the STEK. (original post here). Here is a shot of the final result:

IMG_0241.jpeg

IMG_0243.jpeg

IMG_0242.jpeg
Did the stek make the color look a lot different? I’m planning on getting stek on my mamba but kinda worried how it might affect that color

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
PPF complete! Elite Motors did a spectacular job. I love the depth and luster that was introduced to the red by the STEK. (original post here). Here is a shot of the final result:

IMG_0241.jpeg

IMG_0243.jpeg

IMG_0242.jpeg
i know that place! Congrats on the car and great work(I dropped by while the work was underway) - glad to see you ended up getting Sean and team to do the job!!

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
For anyone interested in STEK and its hydrophobic properties (so it does not need an additional layer of ceramic coating), this is what "drying" the car looks like after a wash :D (using a leaf blower...)

Last edited:

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
I've DIY-ed my PPF on my front clip and I'm waiting for the rest of my PPF to come in to do the rest of the car. I got a rock chip on my tail gate as I'm waiting for the rest of the ppf to come in. What's the chances of getting rocks flying at you from behind... I hope each of you who only do the front clip have better luck than I do with rocks. :)

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
My car is full PPF and I take it as an extra layer of protection, though it's not going to make the car impervious. Heck, I still got a rock chip on my hood with the film in place :)(). I still appreciate it. Less overall damage to point from smaller debris, bird poo, and much easier to keep clean overall.

Overall, like many people mentioned, it's about the install, material used, and most importantly reasonable expectations.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I've DIY-ed my PPF on my front clip and I'm waiting for the rest of my PPF to come in to do the rest of the car. I got a rock chip on my tail gate as I'm waiting for the rest of the ppf to come in. What's the chances of getting rocks flying at you from behind... I hope each of you who only do the front clip have better luck than I do with rocks. :)
How much does a diy kit cost and how long will it take you?

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
My kit will run me about 2k to cover the entirety of the car. It took me 1.5 days to do the front clip. It was also my first time and I went a bit overboard w/ the paint correction. There's no need to get very little thing out, as I left a few small micro scratches to see if I'd notice (I did not notice).

This is not an endeavor for everybody. As some would say, a labor of love. It's a therapy for me much like how gardening is to others. I estimate I still have about 4 days of work after I get the rest of the kit.

My intent is also to replace panels as life happens. I expect that there will be marks that I won't be able to get out of the PPF, so I'll need to replace the panel. That'll be "maintenance".

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
My kit will run me about 2k to cover the entirety of the car. It took me 1.5 days to do the front clip. It was also my first time and I went a bit overboard w/ the paint correction. There's no need to get very little thing out, as I left a few small micro scratches to see if I'd notice (I did not notice).

This is not an endeavor for everybody. As some would say, a labor of love. It's a therapy for me much like how gardening is to others. I estimate I still have about 4 days of work after I get the rest of the kit.

My intent is also to replace panels as life happens. I expect that there will be marks that I won't be able to get out of the PPF, so I'll need to replace the panel. That'll be "maintenance".
Good luck with it. I know I would royally f*** it up after about 10 minutes!

Austintin

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2014
Country flag
Full Paint protection film has been a lifesaver for my car. It's not perfect, but it's definitely reduced overall paint damage and made maintenance a breeze. I'm happy to have that extra layer of protection, even if it doesn't stop every single rock chip.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Of course that situation sucks. The installer is to blame on that one. It's all about the installer. (Bulk install is key) NO WAY any of my expensive cars will be driven without PPF. Not worth the damage that will happen. It's fantastic especially when ceramic coated.
RS PPF (2).jpg
PPF & ceramic.jpg
How old is that GT3 and how many miles on it? PPF probably works for show cars which drive which spend most their lives in the garage driving in nice weather or being shipped in closed trailers. Daily drivers or road tripping cars probably suffer from issue as mentioned in the video no matter?

I had a few cars with either factory or dealer applied PPF on specific panels/places only (hood, door edges, etc), and the issues shown in the video were all there. I also remember being annoyed I cannot just use touch up pain on rock chips in PPF protected areas.

I never wanted PPF for my cars. At one point I even remember asking a dealer to remove the PPF they applied to leading edges of the hood because I knew from prior experience it would look dirty after a while on a white car and I was worried if I remove it later the paint under the PPF will look a different than the paint without PPF. The dealer pre-applied the PPF on the car then tried to make me pay for it, then offered it for free, but I just wanted it gone.

I never thought of all these things together, but the guy in the video summarized it very well. He's also right about resale values. YouTube suggested another detailer who talks about PPF pros and cons. He also talks about incompetent install jobs.

He comes to a similar conclusion.

Last edited: