Why the new PCM sucks

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Why the new PCM sucks 483913F1-7EF8-465D-9AEF-89806EE72F38

I know everyone is eager for the update, but I seem to be the only one who doesn’t care for it. For the sole reason that it looks like a fckng Christmas tree now. The original system was grayed out and had only the things in color that needed to be [such as the climate elements.] I like my technology to be subtle. Anything else takes your attention off the road. And it’s well known now that colorful screens spike dopamine levels and are addictive; the last thing you need while driving. Like cell-phones, Porsche needs to offer a grayscale option so the user can turn off, or limit the amount of color on screen.
Sponsored

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That's fair, but I think most people want it because the assumption is it will be faster, smoother, more snappy, more stable and less buggy. In addition, it brings wireless Android Auto and also brings native Spotify. The earlier versions of PCM 6.0 are a full train wreck. Now if this one is as well, then that's less exciting (although personally I'd really love Spotify, especially since I've now somehow lost Apple Podcasts, along with many other 2020 owners!)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
483913F1-7EF8-465D-9AEF-89806EE72F38.jpeg

I know everyone is eager for the update, but I seem to be the only one who doesn’t care for it. For the sole reason that it looks like a fckng Christmas tree now. The original system was grayed out and had only the things in color that needed to be [such as the climate elements.] I like my technology to be subtle. Anything else takes your attention off the road. And it’s well known now that colorful screens spike dopamine levels and are addictive; the last thing you need while driving. Like cell-phones, Porsche needs to offer a grayscale option so the user can turn off, or limit the amount of color on screen.
So would you advocate a monochrome implementation of everything the PCM has to offer including maps and media - I'm guessing probably not for most people?

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
It looks fine to me.
I like the smaller right side row of icons, which I thought took up too much space. You now have 6 main icons across instead of 4, so there’s less scrolling to get to the bottom.
The colors don’t bother me though of course I haven’t seen them live.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I hate the look of the colored icons in the pictures but in real life they are absolutely fine. The infotainment is generally pretty snappy now and the car is all the better for it in my opinion
I agree on this. Doesn’t bother me at all. I didn’t have any experience with the old black and white version. And I never drive around with the main screen on. It is in map for 99% of the time anyway.

And judging the reactions on the old version, I am really happy how everything works. It’s reactive and didn’t have any real issues yet.

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
Anyone got updated recently to the new colorful version PCM already? When it will be official available for us to upgrade?

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
Having come from the original PCM in the 2020 Taycan, there is a big difference between the two in terms of responsiveness and stability. Coloured icons don’t bother me.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
For the sole reason that it looks like a fckng Christmas tree now.
could not agree more!! 👍

I am on a kind of borderline relationship with that PCM as it's so damn unreliable
BUT!!

the design of the displays, content and cockpit interiour is superb. You recognize the nature and simplicity of PD.

this (as a negative example) is showing an Audi cockpit, which is truly a christmas tree.

Porsche Taycan Why the new PCM sucks 1653458696982

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
For the sole reason that it looks like a fckng Christmas tree now.
Maybe there can be a compromise and Porsche can add an option to only enable the colors on Christmas.

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
So would you advocate a monochrome implementation of everything the PCM has to offer including maps and media - I'm guessing probably not for most people?
Yes. Keep the updates but limit the colour.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
483913F1-7EF8-465D-9AEF-89806EE72F38.jpeg

Why not just give people the option... color or monochrome. It's like a handful of lines of code, I'd bet.

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I hate the look of the colored icons in the pictures but in real life they are absolutely fine. The infotainment is generally pretty snappy now and the car is all the better for it in my opinion
Thank you for the real world input.

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I never drive around with the main screen on.
Reduced mode on the instruments and the ability to turn off the center screen is the best thing about this convoluted cockpit.
Sponsored