Docjonday

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve posted here in the UK forum as hotspot configurations seem to vary regionally in tens of what is and what isn’t possible from country to country.

I’m keen to be able to connect to my car’s hotspot from my phone on account that when the OTA module enters a low power configuration around 6 hours after use, I often lose connectivity between the car and the Porsche server (I’ve been told that local cell signal strength can impinge heavily on the server successfully pinging the car and communicating with it once the OTA module goes into low power mode).

When I first took delivery of the car, I was able to see the vehicle hotspot on my phone’s Wi-fi list. Now into my second month of ownership, despite checking that Wi-fi hotspot in the car is enabled, I fail to see the car’s Wi-fi hotspot in iOS.

I’ve tried to route around this by calling up a QR code for hotspot connection between the car and iOS via attempting to connect the car to my phone’s calendar. However, when I scan the QR code on the PCM, this is recognised by iOS but I receive an error message on screen stating ‘connection error’.

Am I correct in thinking the car’s data package at £19 pm doesn’t need to be enabled for the hotspot to function? Or, is the fact the hotspot is not longer visible owing to 30 days complimentary access to data now having expired? If not the latter, I worry my MY2021 Taycan has a OTA module fault.
Sponsored

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I’ve posted here in the UK forum as hotspot configurations seem to vary regionally in tens of what is and what isn’t possible from country to country.

I’m keen to be able to connect to my car’s hotspot from my phone on account that when the OTA module enters a low power configuration around 6 hours after use, I often lose connectivity between the car and the Porsche server (I’ve been told that local cell signal strength can impinge heavily on the server successfully pinging the car and communicating with it once the OTA module goes into low power mode).

When I first took delivery of the car, I was able to see the vehicle hotspot on my phone’s Wi-fi list. Now into my second month of ownership, despite checking that Wi-fi hotspot in the car is enabled, I fail to see the car’s Wi-fi hotspot in iOS.

I’ve tried to route around this by calling up a QR code for hotspot connection between the car and iOS via attempting to connect the car to my phone’s calendar. However, when I scan the QR code on the PCM, this is recognised by iOS but I receive an error message on screen stating ‘connection error’.

Am I correct in thinking the car’s data package at £19 pm doesn’t need to be enabled for the hotspot to function? Or, is the fact the hotspot is not longer visible owing to 30 days complimentary access to data now having expired? If not the latter, I worry my MY2021 Taycan has a OTA module fault.
Your phone uses the hotspot in your car to make Apple CarPlay work. However, the hotspot shuts down when you switch the car off so it will not help you.

If you have bad mobile (Vodafone) signal, then the only solution is getting your car to connect via WiFi. Unfortunately, that is not functional on UK cars yet.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Your phone uses the hotspot in your car to make Apple CarPlay work. However, the hotspot shuts down when you switch the car off so it will not help you.
If you have bad mobile (Vodafone) signal, then the only solution is getting your car to connect via WiFi. Unfortunately, that is not functional on UK cars yet.
The hotspot is always available if activated but only of limited use / value if there is no data package active alongside. You can use it for a peer-to-peer connection from phone to PCM for syncing your calendar (for example) and is not dependent on a data package / connection for this purpose. What you won't have then will be an internet connection from the car (should that be important to you).

Wireless CarPlay I think is available for MY21 build cars rather than MY20 (which may be addressed via a software update which is coming next month). Depending on the MY of your vehicle you may be restricted to using a USB C cable or Bluetooth for connecting your phone (for CarPlay) to the PCM.

The other use of the hotspot is to share an internet connection with other non-phone devices but this requires the monthly data package to make it work. More practical to use an existing phone (with data) and activate the hotspot on that for other devices to use whilst in the car.
Sponsored