Wifi reception doesn’t extend to charger area

PorscheGG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Macan GTS, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is there any reason I need the PMCC to be connected to wifi? My car port is at the back of the house and router/modem is set up about 100 ft from that area so the charger is not connecting to the internet. I have only charged 3-4 times so far, as I’ve only had the vehicle for a couple weeks. Is there any reason I need the charger to be connected to the internet? Am I missing out on anything?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Is there any reason I need the PMCC to be connected to wifi? My car port is at the back of the house and router/modem is set up about 100 ft from that area so the charger is not connecting to the internet. I have only charged 3-4 times so far, as I’ve only had the vehicle for a couple weeks. Is there any reason I need the charger to be connected to the internet? Am I missing out on anything?
No you don't need to. Worthwhile to do it once to ensure you have the latest update installed but other than that it's for convenience only.

There is a hotspot function on it so you can connect your mobile device directly to it if needed.

Charging details (if that's important) are available at My Porsche Home Charging Service which stores your charging history. I suspect though, if your PMCC is not on WiFi it may not transmit any history (worth checking as I can't remember 100% if it is the car which does this or is it the PMCC - hopefully the former).

Note: PMCC supports PLC connections - via your wired electrical supply - if that's of interest, read the manual to set it up.

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You paid a premium for the "connect" charger - why not look into a wifi range extender for your router?

OP
OP
PorscheGG

PorscheGG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Macan GTS, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
No you don't need to. Worthwhile to do it once to ensure you have the latest update installed but other than that it's for convenience only.

There is a hotspot function on it so you can connect your mobile device directly to it if needed.

Charging details (if that's important) are available at My Porsche Home Charging Service which stores your charging history. I suspect though, if your PMCC is not on WiFi it may not transmit any history (worth checking as I can't remember 100% if it is the car which does this or is it the PMCC - hopefully the former).

Note: PMCC supports PLC connections - via your wired electrical supply - if that's of interest, read the manual to set it up.
Thanks.

You paid a premium for the "connect" charger - why not look into a wifi range extender for your router?
For sure. I didn’t spec the car myself and bought it directly from a dealer. Just don’t see the point in setting up range extender if there’s nothing revolutionary the internet connection will provide. Thanks though.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks.

For sure. I didn’t spec the car myself and bought it directly from a dealer. Just don’t see the point in setting up range extender if there’s nothing revolutionary the internet connection will provide. Thanks though.
Definitely get yourself a wifi extender, something like an Eero (https://eero.com). The main reason: the Taycan itself connects to your wifi network when the car is parked in your garage and it can receive its OTA updates via that protocol. If the car can't log into your wifi network Its updates will occur when the car is connected to the cellular network as you travel about and those downloads will take appreciably longer.

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Definitely get yourself a wifi extender, something like an Eero (https://eero.com). The main reason: the Taycan itself connects to your wifi network when the car is parked in your garage and it can receive its OTA updates via that protocol. If the car can't log into your wifi network Its updates will occur when the car is connected to the cellular network as you travel about and those downloads will take appreciably longer.
I heard there was an update recently provided OTA for the charger as well. If you have the charger connect, why not take advantage of those capabilities?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
That is not correct. The car cannot connect to any external hotspot (except in Russia) nor does it require to do so.

The car has its own LTE connection for OTA.

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you familiar with the recent firmware update to the charger connect? Was that specific to the "connect" version or do those that are not wifi enabled have to go in periodically to be updated by the dealership?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No dealership update required (at least in UK). One update to PMCC since last November so not really something that needs updating on a regular basis.

I think the PMCC in US needed some form of dealer update following the recent major WMA updates although that was never clear.

The standard charger has an ethernet connection and can be connected to your router if needed (it may not be practical to do so however).

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Are you familiar with the recent firmware update to the charger connect? Was that specific to the "connect" version or do those that are not wifi enabled have to go in periodically to be updated by the dealership?
I just read this forum, and when an PMCC update is available, I connect my PMCC to my WiFi hotspot on my phone to get the update.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I just read this forum, and when an PMCC update is available, I connect my PMCC to my WiFi hotspot on my phone to get the update.
Yep that would work just fine but you don't know when there's an update so a bit of trial and error needed.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
I am debating adding the mobile charger connect ($1,120 cost, but I do get 25ft cable too) to my build. If I decide against it, does the regular charger connect to my home wifi too? If the regular charger does not connect to the wifi, does the car connect directly to my wifi?

I have a strong wifi signal (thinks Orbi) at home.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Standard charger has a wired PLC ethernet connection only and the car does not connect to WiFi.

It's not often you need to connect to the 'charger' directly but I guess that depends on your use case?

Download the manual PMC+
Sponsored

Last edited: