Will different UK Porsche centres have different build dates?

captainlk

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I see US people saying that their dealerships have allocations and so wait times for new orders can vary. In this case it makes to call around when placing a new order.

Is it the same here or does it not matter where you place your order?
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
You can sometimes get an earlier build date by phoning around. Of course it might then slip back as time goes on. You can also place a deposit with more than 1 dealer and get the money back from one of them when the first one locks down.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I see US people saying that their dealerships have allocations and so wait times for new orders can vary. In this case it makes to call around when placing a new order.

Is it the same here or does it not matter where you place your order?
All Porsche dealerships have an allocation of cars normally determined by their size and scale of operation. Smaller dealerships will get less of an allocation (model and type) than larger ones. So bear this in mind when shopping around as this will influence lock down and delivery dates. A dealer may have a 4S allocation for Dec build (say) but no Turbo until Feb the following year (say) whereas another may have both. Dealers can and do trade slots with each other (in my experience).

As suggested you can place deposits at multiple dealers if needs be and then cancel when you have one confirmed for your preferred needs. You can also do this to hedge on models (new release e.g. GTS / Sport Turismo) and just nudge your window along until it matches what you're after.

Also, some dealers may get a 'free' allocation or a cancelled slot by a customer which may be immediately available and a short window to lock down the spec. You'd need to be on their contact list to take advantage of this.

Not quite a lottery but you can play the system. Given the demand for all variants and the ongoing supply issues, securing a slot and delivery within 12 months is a challenge in UK now....but you can get lucky.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I think you can currently get a turbo in 9-10 months but a 4S is closer to 18 months

OP
OP
captainlk

captainlk

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The dealer I’ve been talking to is saying end of 22 for a 4s and maybe 3 months earlier for the turbo. This is tempting me to get a turbo even though this will probably be wasted on me given driving style and where I live.

I didn’t realise I could get the deposit back if I got a better option elsewhere. Good to know.

I’ll phone around a little to get an idea of the variation between dealers if any.

Cheers everyone.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
My (limited) understanding is that there's a quarterly process that allocates build slots to dealerships, with a lead time of a lot less than 12 months, so assuming that all current allocations have been filled with customer orders, no-one can say for sure when any order in the queue will get a build slot. Obviously each dealership will have planning assumptions informed by history and experience, but the Taycan is subject to unprecedented demand (particularly from customers of other marques) in unprecedented times.
Sponsored