Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Am I the only one who sings this thread title to “Can you feel the love tonight?” every time they see it?

You too? Good, just checking.

I have a whole chorus at this point, if it helps you.
Will my car charge tonight?​
When I plug it in​
It’s enough for this wide-eyed wanderer​
To increase my SoC​
Will my car charge tonight?​
It’s at 5 percent​
Even if it gets to 100​
The 12v might be dead​

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Ok, so just to update setting a timer hasn’t worked. All I want to do is charge the car between 12:30 -0430 regardless of charge % as I have been for 4 months. Electric costs 5p an hour over these hours compared to 15p outside so I charge at a 1/3 of normal cost.

Thought something wasn’t right when I came and cost on electric meter double what I’d expect. Waited for electric smart reading to update to see why has happened. I set the car to charge for 2 hours between 0100 and 0300 knowing this would take me just below 100%.

Looking at the smart meter data it looks like the timer has overriden the profile time and it’s charged but it looks like it’s done it to get to the 7am that I set as a departure time. As a reminder I don’t have a set start time hence why I’ve been using just a profile for 4 months.

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? 3-BBA92-FC-AB0-E-4-DDB-9-F00-145182-D8-E8-A1

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? 3-BDF4-FFC-7-C9-D-498-B-BEC5-FF93-F917-D731

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? 4-ADBE180-0-A3-A-45-DA-9186-CF06847-A6512

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? 8-F78209-B-C1-D2-4-CBA-BF1-D-940-C4-CE93-A78

Any suggestions what I do know?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
This is what I had set. I just checked and can’t delete the departure time?

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? 58-FE54-BF-7681-4880-B227-EF06-E828-B264

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? B3-A69-CF4-6240-4316-BC8-F-AACB4860279-F

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? DA87-D808-B1-B2-4-AE6-8-C92-AFB5-F0-C3-AD18

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? E4497-ADA-5-B6-B-4083-A4-BF-23-FEDDFC33-A5

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Ok, so just to update setting a timer hasn’t worked. All I want to do is charge the car between 12:30 -0430 regardless of charge % as I have been for 4 months. Electric costs 5p an hour over these hours compared to 15p outside so I charge at a 1/3 of normal cost.

Thought something wasn’t right when I came and cost on electric meter double what I’d expect. Waited for electric smart reading to update to see why has happened. I set the car to charge for 2 hours between 0100 and 0300 knowing this would take me just below 100%.

Looking at the smart meter data it looks like the timer has overriden the profile time and it’s charged but it looks like it’s done it to get to the 7am that I set as a departure time. As a reminder I don’t have a set start time hence why I’ve been using just a profile for 4 months.

3-BBA92-FC-AB0-E-4-DDB-9-F00-145182-D8-E8-A1.png

3-BDF4-FFC-7-C9-D-498-B-BEC5-FF93-F917-D731.png

4-ADBE180-0-A3-A-45-DA-9186-CF06847-A6512.png

8-F78209-B-C1-D2-4-CBA-BF1-D-940-C4-CE93-A78.png

Any suggestions what I do know?
Do not muddle timers from the vehicle (or Porsche Connect App or My Porsche) with timers on a 3rd party charger - one or the other.

Please disable all timer and profile settings from the vehicle and re-try your test.

Proper way to do this is to let the vehicle control the charging and ideally with a compatible charger (PMC+, PMCC and some others) in line.

Repeat the exercise with your Porsche charger (even a basic test on a 3 pin 13A connection if that makes it easier) and re-establish your Profile and Timer (you need both as I keep advising).

Report back after that...

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hi, 4 hours does about 30% battery, and been doing this for 4 months, just topping up, sometimes over a couple of nights if not going too far. Charging between 1230-0430 costs me a 1/3 of the usual cost so worth doing.
Hi Nick, looking at your times and your smart meter displays, it seems you only charge at 3.5 kW. Is that all you normally would get. Guess that is about 16 amp on a single phase.

If the above is all power available, you will only get about 14 kWh during the times you have set 00.30 to 04.30. That can not get you even close to 30% battery capacity. Or have you other things at play here?

I think one way to find out is to leave out your profile settings altogether and just set your departure time and desired charge level at 80%, ( or rather the time when charging should be completed to 04.30). When you plug in the car with these settings and assuming you have say 50% charge, the car should be charged to 80% at 04.30, but will likely have started charging well before 00.30. 30% charge for the larger battery is about 26 kWh. If you only have 3.5 kW available it would take something like 7.5 hours to charge 30%!

With the above information I can Not understand how you have been able to charge your car as stated, unless the car started charging shortly after you plugged it in.

I also have no idea how the car will react to have a target charge set, and it realises that there is no way to achieve this in the timeframe given??

I have no experience of how it works when you set charging timers on an external charger.

mangobay

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST 2023. Cayman GT4 (981); BMW X5 40i
Country flag
Hi there. I’m on the same Octopus tariff too.

Not sure if this helps but I have just settled on using the timer built into the charger software and switched all timers off on the car. As others have said sticking to one or the other.

I do use a profile on the car to ensure it doesn’t charge above 85pc but then leave the car well alone.

Two reasons for doing it this way really.
- The software with my charger is actually really good and I also need to flick between using nighttime charging from grid and daytime charging from solar so this is easier on the charger software than on the car
- the concerns raised about the 12v issue and too much remote messing with timers and profiles through the Connect app.

It works a treat for me. It would be nice to only have to use the car and Connect app but it’s just not as slick for me at least.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi there. I’m on the same Octopus tariff too.

Not sure if this helps but I have just settled on using the timer built into the charger software and switched all timers off on the car. As others have said sticking to one or the other.

I do use a profile on the car to ensure it doesn’t charge above 85pc but then leave the car well alone.

Two reasons for doing it this way really.
- The software with my charger is actually really good and I also need to flick between using nighttime charging from grid and daytime charging from solar so this is easier on the charger software than on the car
- the concerns raised about the 12v issue and too much remote messing with timers and profiles through the Connect app.

It works a treat for me. It would be nice to only have to use the car and Connect app but it’s just not as slick for me at least.
I'm curious, how exactly do you control the max charge to 85% with simply a profile? It is not possible as the control available is the minimum SOC which means that the car will charge to 85% immediately upon connecting the charger (assuming it is already < 85%) and then pause (not the other way around). The only way to do is with a timer and profile working in tandem.

I've used 1 profile (to control my off peak period 00:00 - 07:00, free EV electric) and 1 timer (to control my target charge of 85%) since day 1 with no issue. The complaints around the app leading to problems are without basis and no different to setting the same profile and timer within the PCM itself - they are one and the same thing.

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? 1618937367933

It feels like this is a right old muddle and folk aren't really reading the advice given.

Last edited:

mangobay

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST 2023. Cayman GT4 (981); BMW X5 40i
Country flag
I'm curious, how exactly do you control the max charge to 85% with simply a profile? It is not possible as the control available is the minimum SOC which means that the car will charge to 85% immediately upon connecting the charger (assuming it is already < 85%) and then pause (not the other way around). The only way to do is with a timer and profile working in tandem.

I've used 1 profile (to control my off peak period 00:00 - 07:00, free EV electric) and 1 timer (to control my target charge of 85%) since day 1 with no issue. The complaints around the app leading to problems are without basis and no different to setting the same profile and timer within the PCM itself - they are one and the same thing.

1618937367933.png

It feels like this is a right old muddle and folk aren't really reading the advice given.
Well, all I can tell you is that using the simple 85pc minimum SOC profile absolutely works for me. IF I didn’t have the timer on the charger in play, it would start charging immediately and stop at 85pc. If I use it in conjunction with the charger-timer then it will not start charging until 0030 and then charge either until it reaches 0430 or it reaches 85pc whichever happens first. It’s then stops.

So it’s working fine for me as a mixture of the car profile plus charger timer.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Well, all I can tell you is that using the simple 85pc minimum SOC profile absolutely works for me. IF I didn’t have the timer on the charger in play, it would start charging immediately and stop at 85pc. If I use it in conjunction with the charger-timer then it will not start charging until 0030 and then charge either until it reaches 0430 or it reaches 85pc whichever happens first. It’s then stops.

So it’s working fine for me as a mixture of the car profile plus charger timer.
Ok so this is confused - you are now saying you are using a timer too?

You are lucky that your window to charge is short as if it were longer you would regularly end up with > 85% charge at the end of the session.

If you chose not to use the tools as designed then entirely up to you but honestly I think you are missing out on the features of the Porsche charging eco-system when used correctly.

Whatever works I guess.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Do not muddle timers from the vehicle (or Porsche Connect App or My Porsche) with timers on a 3rd party charger - one or the other.

Please disable all timer and profile settings from the vehicle and re-try your test.

Proper way to do this is to let the vehicle control the charging and ideally with a compatible charger (PMC+, PMCC and some others) in line.

Repeat the exercise with your Porsche charger (even a basic test on a 3 pin 13A connection if that makes it easier) and re-establish your Profile and Timer (you need both as I keep advising).

Report back after that...
Hi, I think you’ve muddled up my posts. The pics posted are my house electric smart meter readings. Completely separate to the car or any charging apparatus. I posted the pics to show my electric usage and when it was drawn.
My last attempt at charging was using only Porsche profile and timers (my pod point timers all disabled, as you advised) and I used a profile and a timer ( as you advised) and the car didn’t charge between 1230-0430 as I wanted it to.

I’ve not used the Porsche charger since I’ve had the car, and to be honest wouldn’t even know how to set it up, so why do you think this will solve my issue?

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Hi Nick, looking at your times and your smart meter displays, it seems you only charge at 3.5 kW. Is that all you normally would get. Guess that is about 16 amp on a single phase.

If the above is all power available, you will only get about 14 kWh during the times you have set 00.30 to 04.30. That can not get you even close to 30% battery capacity. Or have you other things at play here?

I think one way to find out is to leave out your profile settings altogether and just set your departure time and desired charge level at 80%, ( or rather the time when charging should be completed to 04.30). When you plug in the car with these settings and assuming you have say 50% charge, the car should be charged to 80% at 04.30, but will likely have started charging well before 00.30. 30% charge for the larger battery is about 26 kWh. If you only have 3.5 kW available it would take something like 7.5 hours to charge 30%!

With the above information I can Not understand how you have been able to charge your car as stated, unless the car started charging shortly after you plugged it in.

I also have no idea how the car will react to have a target charge set, and it realises that there is no way to achieve this in the timeframe given??

I have no experience of how it works when you set charging timers on an external charger.
Hi, pics posted are half hour slots so 3.5kw per 30 mins is 7kw per hour draw and this is the norm in the uk for this sort of charger ( single phase) . 7x 4 is 28kw and works out to be around 30% as I have the small battery.

Thank you have your suggestion above but if I left out the profile it would negate my attempt to charge only between the 4 hours, so no good ( the profile has the timing slot that allows charging between specified hours)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

1618937367933.png

Actually I think that works. If you only have set a Profile to 85% and no timer in the car, it will start charging once it gets power. And the tprimer for the power is controlled by the EVSE. That will only switch on at 00.30, car starts charging and charges as much as it can until 04.30 if it does not reach 85%. If it reaches 85% charge the car will switch off and does not have any further instructions. If not reaching 85% the EVSE will switch off the power.
try it!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi, pics posted are half hour slots so 3.5kw per 30 mins is 7kw per hour draw and this is the norm in the uk for this sort of charger ( single phase)
Ah ok I see now what you mean. It is kWh per half hour. Then the 30% makes sense. Sorry.
Sponsored