Will older models get extended range as 2022 models?

Mac Madsen

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone know if the extended range on 2022 models just announced will come to 2020/2021 models as SW updates?

Just came home from a Denmark-Spain and return 2 x 3.200 km road-trip, where the extra 100 km range would have made a huge difference;)
Sponsored

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Does anyone know if the extended range on 2022 models just announced will come to 2020/2021 models as SW updates?

Just came home from a Denmark-Spain and return 2 x 3.200 km road-trip, where the extra 100 km range would have made a huge difference;)

Can you provide a link to the announcement of the extended range on '22 models?

thank you

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

I would guess that the smaller fraction of the extra range might be due to improved battery management software etc. but that the bigger fraction has been there all along since 2020 and only materializes now administratively because Porsche finally provides a claimed range which is closer to the real-world one.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
Some information floating around seems to suggest the improvements apply to all models, however it's the GTS that has first gone through the required EPA and WLTP testing.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I would imaging all cars will get tweaks when next in the dealers. I doubt it will be OTA nor a recall but be carried out as part of routine service.

Take the new numbers with a pinch of salt and as mentioned above all need to be re-calibrated and therefore expect the differences to be marginal.

What we want is new battery tech (solid state / other) to move this game along rather than software optimisations (not a core Porsche strength at the moment as we all can bear witness to).

Tim123

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Quote>>>
Technological enhancements: more range in practice

The new Taycan model year will not be homologated separately, so there will not be any new WLTP range values. However, the real-world range of the latest versions will be greater in day-to-day use. Extensive technological developments have been implemented to achieve this increase. In Normal and Range modes, the front electric motor is almost completely decoupled and de-energised in the partial load range in the all-wheel drive models. Furthermore, no drive is transmitted to either axle when the car is coasting or at a standstill. This electric freewheel function reduces drag losses. The motors are switched on again within milliseconds only when the driver requests more power or changes the driving mode.

The thermal management and charging functions have also been further improved. With the Turbo Charging Planner, the high-voltage battery can now be heated to a slightly higher temperature than before. This means that fast charging is possible earlier and at a higher charge level. In addition, the waste heat from the electrical components is used to an even greater extent for battery temperature regulation.
<<<Quote

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Quote>>>

The new Taycan model year will not be homologated separately, so there will not be any new WLTP range values. However, the real-world range of the latest versions will be greater in day-to-day use. Extensive technological developments have been implemented to achieve this increase. In Normal and Range modes, the front electric motor is almost completely decoupled and de-energised in the partial load range in the all-wheel drive models. Furthermore, no drive is transmitted to either axle when the car is coasting or at a standstill. This electric freewheel function reduces drag losses. The motors are switched on again within milliseconds only when the driver requests more power or changes the driving mode.

The thermal management and charging functions have also been further improved. With the Turbo Charging Planner, the high-voltage battery can now be heated to a slightly higher temperature than before. This means that fast charging is possible earlier and at a higher charge level. In addition, the waste heat from the electrical components is used to an even greater extent for battery temperature regulation.
<<<Quote
Would that mean that new/future Taycans would no longer creep forward when standing still in Drive? Personally, I would like that but many people are used to this auto-creep...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
What we want is new battery tech (solid state / other) to move this game along rather than software optimisations (not a core Porsche strength at the moment as we all can bear witness to).
Currently it's not about new battery chemistry, but simply using improved engineering for the whole battery pack with more active material within the same weight and dimensions. This already happened in China, but not with Porsche.

In a few years we then can see optimized or new battery chemistry.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Would that mean that new/future Taycans would no longer creep forward when standing still in Drive? Personally, I would like that but many people are used to this auto-creep...
Sounds like. I don't mind the creep, I just hit the break pedal a bit harder and get the car in hold. Hit the gas pedal and the car drives. Couldn't be easier, could it?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Quote>>>

<<<Quote
Interesting that the front motor will now be decoupled?

I thought the Range mode meant that only the front motor was active before and the rear was decoupled. Has this changed now or did I get this wrong from the beginning?

Interesting as well about a Turbo Charging Planner. That surely is SW and could easily be rolled out across all cars. Could improve the charging stops even further

Bill4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo ; CT4S ordered
Country flag
My dealer did some update to my CT4s (2022) a week ago. Strangely and may be it’s just me but I feel the car is more efficient in coasting. No real change on estimated range so far however.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Interesting that the front motor will now be decoupled?

I thought the Range mode meant that only the front motor was active before and the rear was decoupled. Has this changed now or did I get this wrong from the beginning?
No, you are correct that the rear motor mechanically decouples due to the two speed transmission and the front motor stays connected at all times.

I don’t think what they are referring to here in these changes is a mechanical decoupling for the front motor. There’s no real detail there, but they refer to it as “electric freewheel”. For that reason, I think they only mean the motor is not active.

I think this is likely achieved mostly through software, although it’s possible they had to modify the inverter electrics some as well. I’m not sure.

It’s also possible they added an elecro-mechanical contactor to fully open the wires, but I think that’s unlikely as it became another moving part and I think it can be handled well enough without it.

They also say “almost completely decoupled and de-energised”. Maybe I’m reading too much into it now, but to me that suggests a solid-state solution (i.e. what I said about the inverter and not a contactor or mechanical decoupling).

I think the rear motor could be handled the same way, but likely fully mechanically decouples because the hardware is already there for other reasons.

I’ve had some other posts about it in the the thread below (although, I wasn’t aware of the “electric freewheel” update at the time):

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ansmission-a-good-idea.6598/page-3#post-94709
Sponsored