Will you test drive the Mercedes EQS?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Recently there was a long range test drive of the Mercedes EQS with the large battery. The guy drove from Munich to Berlin. It was 638km (396mi) without recharging. He arrived with 48km (30mi) range left. Total 686km (426mi). Average speed 104 km/h (64.6 mph) consumption 15.8 kWh. (25.4kWh/100mi).

Plug&charge on Ionity working.
Charging rate over 200kW adding 300km in 15 min. (almost as good as Taycan?)
From 6% to 79% SoC average 163 kW.
It was the most quiet EV he has ever driven.
Extremely efficient highway driving with 15-16kWh/100km (24.1-25.7kWh/100mi) driving 130km/h (80.8 mph).

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de...t-mercedes-eqs-450plus-elektroauto-reichweite
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
those are impressive stats - I’m looking forward to more and more competition in this space - 254 wh/mile is impressive consumption for a vehicle that large - Lucid Air may have a fight on it’s hands.

I’ll test drive it cause I like test driving things - but I’m not in the market for a non-sports sedan.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
If I wouldn't already paid a deposit for Taycan CT, I'd go for EQS.
In case that they are going to reschedule me one more time, I'll cancel the contract and wait for EQS (in January).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I will absolutely have a test drive in the EQS. Long range suits my use case very well, but the Achilles heel is the Ionity charging network.
I like the range and consumption but am very hesitant about the looks, colour scheme and size. It looks like a boat and the two tone colours are not my taste at all.

I am also hesitant about the whole entertainment system and that large scree. My Taycan is smaller screen but absolutely useless. Slow, very limited traffic information and crashes continuously on Apple CarPlay. Taycan has to go one way or other, too much issues with PCM and systems.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I will absolutely have a test drive in the EQS. Long range suits my use case very well, but the Achilles heel is the Ionity charging network.
I like the range and consumption but am very hesitant about the looks, colour scheme and size. It looks like a boat and the two tone colours are not my taste at all.
Hi said in the video, that he just could not get the consumption over 16kWh/100km on highway speed. I cannot get that low with my Taycan over here...

Looks I cannot judge, need to see the actual car. Gray exterior, black interior and most strange features disappear...;)

Isn't the Ionity network growing in your place?

I am worried about the length. 5.30m - that's a bit of a boat.:oops:

Reactions: B61

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
@feye yes Ionity network is rolling out quite well, but not enough to really be able to go from the Italian border to Bordeaux or Calais in the best way. They are nearing their target of 400 places soon, but there are a lot of gaps unfortunately. At least for the routes that I am travelling. I have seen that Germany, of course, has a lot of HPC, both Ionity and someother brands. Not so here in France as yet. Netherlands and Belgium are also very well positioned from what I have seen..

I guess he achieved such a low consumption since the car is perhaps underpowered for the weight. 330 bhp is not much in a car weighing 2.5 tonnes?? Guess a lot is down to the aerodynamic features,?
But absolutely well worth a good test drive.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
yes Ionity network is rolling out quite well, but not enough to really be able to go from the Italian border to Bordeaux or Calais in the best way.
Porsche Taycan Will you test drive the Mercedes EQS? 1627005244316

True, not quite dense enough to be super easy... You are missing something like ENBW, a large grid operator installing DC chargers...

I guess he achieved such a low consumption since the car is perhaps underpowered for the weight
It's certainly not a sports car, but 0-100 km/h in 6.2s is also not a slouch. Time will tell and we see, if the faster model has similar efficiency and range...

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
those are impressive stats - I’m looking forward to more and more competition in this space - 254 wh/mile is impressive consumption for a vehicle that large - Lucid Air may have a fight on it’s hands.

I’ll test drive it cause I like test driving things - but I’m not in the market for a non-sports sedan.
I'll drive it - mainly because my mother may be interested. It does look cool and has a glorious interior with sweet lighting (if what I saw was final production)

Jury is out for me on Lucid.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
After I take delivery of my Taycan, I may do a test drive of the EQS just for fun once they start hitting showroom floors, but I have no genuine interest in a vehicle the size of an S Class at this time in my life.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Will you test drive the Mercedes EQS? 1628675041397

I configured one to see what I can get for how much money. The base price of the longest range model EQS 450+ is exactly the same as my 4S. But I spent quite a bit more on options for my Porsche, then what I would for the Mercedes.

Porsche Taycan Will you test drive the Mercedes EQS? 1628675237325

Porsche Taycan Will you test drive the Mercedes EQS? 1628675369846

Well, the only problem now is I cannot buy one over here!

Gentleman Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ride-on Honda Mower
Country flag
I was ready with the cash to buy an EQS from Bath, UK.
I asked the dealership multiple times about a test drive overnight and they never returned my calls or emails.
Last communication I had was the sales guy was going to ask his manager….. that was that.
So gave up and ordered a Porsche.
On reflection glad they chose to ignore a serious purchaser, their loss!

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@Gentleman Blue Is EQS already available in UK?
We'll get first "samples" somewhere in November.

@feye : only 120k€ for EQS? My Taycan 4 configuration was 147k€.
I was playing with EQC, made over 110k€, while EQS configuration is not available in my country.

Otherwise, my thoughts about EQS: too long, more or less boring outside, excellent interiror.
EQC: boring outside and inside.... while Taycan is a beauty!

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I was ready with the cash to buy an EQS from Bath, UK.
I asked the dealership multiple times about a test drive overnight and they never returned my calls or emails.
Last communication I had was the sales guy was going to ask his manager….. that was that.
So gave up and ordered a Porsche.
On reflection glad they chose to ignore a serious purchaser, their loss!
Buying a Taycan is never a mistake! ;)
Sponsored

Reactions: B61