AutobahnGTS

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Model S 100D, Model 3P
Country flag
The EQE SUV will certainly be a fantastic car to drive. However, it doesn’t match the mile munching capabilities of the EQS. Its‘ higher Form factor and shorter tail mean a larger frontal area and a larger drag coefficient.
Although this will not be as much of an issue in countries where the speed limit is 110/70mph.
Also, the smaller battery pack (90.6 kWh v 107.8 kWh, so 84%) and slower charging ability (208kW max v 175kW max, 173kW average v 142kW average for 10-80% SoC), will have you at the charging station more frequently.
None of this is bad, just not quite EQS level.

In that regard, the upcoming Macan EV/ Q6 E-Tron might actually be on par or even better than the EQS Sedan, which would be amazing.
Sponsored

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
The lease deals in the US for the EQS are give aways right now.
Tons of incentives from MB

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Reactions: B61

AutobahnGTS

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really don’t think the Polestar 3 is going to perform that great, especially on the Autobahn.
It has a Cd of 0.29, which really is not great.
Its‘ CdA is quoted to be 0,78, which means a frontal area of 2.69 sqm. That’s big!

A Q8 E-Tron, really not a particularly efficient car, has a 2.65sqm frontal area and Cd of 0.24 to 0.26 (Sportback) and 0.26 to 0.28 (SUV).

So even the rather inefficient Q8 has better aerodynamic efficiency than the polestar, and I think the battery has a very similar size (Polestar 111kWh net, 107 useable. Q8 114 kWh net, 106 useable).

i don’t know if the charging curve data by EV-Database for the Polestar 3 is accurate, we‘ll probably have to wait for the first tests. 250kW max and 150kW average from 10-80% is fine, but not particularly great (the official 10-80% time is given at 30 minutes, which would be 150kW).

In conclusion, not a lot of data to currently suggest the Polestar 3 could sniff the EQS‘ long range abilities. It will definitely have shorter range, especially at high speed, and I am not convinced it’ll charge as fast. As for the Q6/ Macan. These are likely considerably more aerodynamic than the Polestar and will definitely charge significantly faster.
None of this means the Polestar 3 is a bad car, just that a big battery alone doesn’t make a great long distance travel car.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I really don’t think the Polestar 3 is going to perform that great, especially on the Autobahn.
It has a Cd of 0.29, which really is not great.
Its‘ CdA is quoted to be 0,78, which means a frontal area of 2.69 sqm. That’s big!

A Q8 E-Tron, really not a particularly efficient car, has a 2.65sqm frontal area and Cd of 0.24 to 0.26 (Sportback) and 0.26 to 0.28 (SUV).

So even the rather inefficient Q8 has better aerodynamic efficiency than the polestar, and I think the battery has a very similar size (Polestar 111kWh net, 107 useable. Q8 114 kWh net, 106 useable).

i don’t know if the charging curve data by EV-Database for the Polestar 3 is accurate, we‘ll probably have to wait for the first tests. 250kW max and 150kW average from 10-80% is fine, but not particularly great (the official 10-80% time is given at 30 minutes, which would be 150kW).

In conclusion, not a lot of data to currently suggest the Polestar 3 could sniff the EQS‘ long range abilities. It will definitely have shorter range, especially at high speed, and I am not convinced it’ll charge as fast. As for the Q6/ Macan. These are likely considerably more aerodynamic than the Polestar and will definitely charge significantly faster.
None of this means the Polestar 3 is a bad car, just that a big battery alone doesn’t make a great long distance travel car.
However, as one YT said, the efficiency of the EQS comes in when you drive above 140 at the Autobahn. It's also strange how much more energy it sucks from the charger...

Efficiency is not only based on Cd values...

If the Zeekr 001 with 140kWh battery and 0.23 Cd, sold now in China, comes to Germany...

AutobahnGTS

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, higher speeds are definitely the very strong point of the EQS. However, car Maniac has a 580, which is the AWD version. Until the change in production in August 2023, all AWD EQS, EQS SUV and EQE lack the DCU on the front axle, meaning AWD models suffer drag losses from the front motor, especially at low power, where the motors isn’t needed. In my experience the 450+ is significantly more efficient at lower speeds.
Also, the car will finally get a heating pump in Augusg 2023. That is sorely needed, with the car‘s heating being very inefficient.
Those are just two factors contributing to rather bad low speed efficiency, that are due to be resolved soon.

Regarding the much higher amount charged:
That really surprised me. It would mean a significant amount of charging losses, which usually shouldn’t happen in a 400V system. Idk what’s going on and I have not experienced it myself. However if one would really need to charge >5% more due to charging losses, that’d be very close to a KO for me for the car.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Regarding the much higher amount charged:
That really surprised me. It would mean a significant amount of charging losses, which usually shouldn’t happen in a 400V system.
Still, it's a lot different to the new Q8. Considering, that the consumption actually is, what I pay at the charger, not what the car reports (like T junk fake), I wonder how efficient the EQS really is?

AutobahnGTS

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Still, it's a lot different to the new Q8. Considering, that the consumption actually is, what I pay at the charger, not what the car reports (like T junk fake), I wonder how efficient the EQS really is?
I beg to differ, but there is a difference between charging and driving efficiency. I can drive the EQS with around 26kWh/100 for a 1000km round trip, going as fast as the Autobahn allows me to, and 160kmh when ever allowed. It’s pretty clear that that is the actual consumption, as the 107.8kWh battery has been confirmed several times, and I get close to 400km of real range.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I beg to differ, but there is a difference between charging and driving efficiency. I can drive the EQS with around 26kWh/100 for a 1000km round trip, going as fast as the Autobahn allows me to, and 160kmh when ever allowed. It’s pretty clear that that is the actual consumption, as the 107.8kWh battery has been confirmed several times, and I get close to 400km of real range.
From a consumer point of view, I found the argument what I pay at the charger is the real efficiency most appealing, because that also makes EVs very comparable. I think Mercedes has work to do.

AutobahnGTS

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree they have work todo. While that is definitely neither good for the bank account nor for the environment, the car actually has the range in accordance of the consumption the car reports and the net battery capacity reported.
So charging losses seem to be the issue.
However, I have never experienced anything as extreme as Car Maniac with the EQS.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
However, I have never experienced anything as extreme as Car Maniac with the EQS.
Different model, weather, battery problem in his car, power electronics problem in his car, cooling issues in his car? So strange...
Sponsored