Will you test drive the Mercedes EQS?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
My dealer is still waiting for their first EQS. I must say that the dark color exterior is growing on me.... I find it very irritating that they are now trying to sell them over MSRP, and that MB did not organize a waitlist - like Porsche did with the Taycan launch. This makes it very unpredictable as to when you can get a production slot.
some dealerships did establish lists or pre orders. apparently yours didn't.

I passed on getting onto a list because I still have a couple of years on my taycan. in two years I'll assess what my options are there more than likely will be newer latest and greatest available and then I would consider an EQ if it makes sense versus the other options that should be available.

Reactions: B61

RaidenTsao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY20 E-tron 55. Taycan Cross Turismo 4 ordered
Country flag
Tested one. The consumption is very impressive in cold weather (-15 during test) given the car is actually heavier than fat e-tron. It is a true luxury car in every single aspect. Ride was extremely comfortable and quiet. However, the car drives like a boat (even worse than fat e-tron) and is humongous.
Price tags for my configurations of Taycan 4CT and EQS450 are about the same in Finland. I voted for driving experience :D

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Tested one. The consumption is very impressive in cold weather (-15 during test) given the car is actually heavier than fat e-tron. It is a true luxury car in every single aspect. Ride was extremely comfortable and quiet. However, the car drives like a boat (even worse than fat e-tron) and is humongous.
Price tags for my configurations of Taycan 4CT and EQS450 are about the same in Finland. I voted for driving experience :D
I was afraid of the boat thing, that's the reason I never got an S-class... Back to waiting for the AMG EQE. My lease unfortunately expires before the anticipated Taycan facelift in 2024, so I am looking at alternatives. Will see how the Macan electric presents itself, although I always hated the high position SUV feel

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
My dealer is still waiting for their first EQS. I must say that the dark color exterior is growing on me...
Yes. Besides, the focus would be on interior, comfort and functionality, if it ever was released here...

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I was afraid of the boat thing, that's the reason I never got an S-class... Back to waiting for the AMG EQE. My lease unfortunately expires before the anticipated Taycan facelift in 2024, so I am looking at alternatives. Will see how the Macan electric presents itself, although I always hated the high position SUV feel
Porsche Taycan Will you test drive the Mercedes EQS? 1639131469414

The 2023 Audi A6 with 700km range could be promising?

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
At a minimum it would help to know the battery sizes (and useable capacity) to make sense of this table!
True, but their tests make the cars much more comparable, after checking out the price...

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Is it fair to say that it drives like a boat?? I mean you need to compare it to a ICE S-class, and not to a Taycan or Audi. The target market for the EQS surely is the same that would like to have a S-class. And that also drives like a boat?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Is it fair to say that it drives like a boat?? I mean you need to compare it to a ICE S-class, and not to a Taycan or Audi. The target market for the EQS surely is the same that would like to have a S-class. And that also drives like a boat?
A little, but there is nothing wrong with that if you like it.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
A little, but there is nothing wrong with that if you like it.
No if you feel like you want to drive a limousine or being driven in one, the car is fantastic. But then I guess your driver will be driving so you are very comfortable. And it is super quiet! Probably one of the best and safest cars to be driven (driving) in.

There is a reason why the S-class is used so much for these type of duties. And I love it för that duty.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
to put it into pre EV perspective, would you ever consider comparing a S Class to a 911?
I would think not, they are both fine cars but serve different needs.

RaidenTsao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY20 E-tron 55. Taycan Cross Turismo 4 ordered
Country flag
Good point. This is my perspective bases on my situation. I have a fat etron which is super quiet and comfy. I am looking for a second car because the car doesn’t give me excitement :). EQS is perfect as a limo or long distance cruiser (quiet comfortable luxury interior and materials), but I won’t take it to a track or rally course for fun. Also I can’t replace etron with EQS as I still need to transport my wife two kids and two big dogs for roadtrips. So, EQS is a great car, but not for me for now

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Finally the EQS made it to Minnesota. I briefly drove a 580 today. Here are my impressions:
The good parts:
1. Excellent fit and finish
2. Easier to get in the front seat than the Taycan
3. Enough power
4. Image quality on the hyperscreen is top notch. Fonts are very easy to read, must be a high pixel density screen.

The surprising parts
1. Despite being huge on the outside, the cockpit size interior feels similar to the Taycan. In the driver seat definitely no significant difference.
2. Entry into the back seat is iffy, make sure you do not bang your head on the frame. I am only 5'10", still almost hitting the roof.
3. Position in the back seat is really weird. I thought the foot garages were unusual in the Taycan, but at least you can tuck your feet under the front seat. No such thing in the EQS. Furthermore, it felt like the floor surface is not horizontal, but a little down-sloping. Definitely not a very comfy seat. I would not cram 3 people in the back either - despite the huge outside dimensions.

Overall I feel less good about it. I was prepared to put a deposit, but now I have second thoughts. Why would I get such a huge car if space is similar? Will wait for more options (Macan EV, i4 M50). Lucid is another option.

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Panamera 4S EH, 2022 Cayenne
Country flag
I saw the Mercedes at a dealership and was not impressed. IMO, it is not a very good-looking car. NOW, the Audi looks good. I almost waited to get my Taycan until the Audi was released. If it looks like the pictures, plus the range, it would have been a difficult choice for me. I decided to move forward with the Taycan because usually, concept mockups are different than the actual car. Plus, I'm leasing the Taycan. The Audi can be my next car... :)

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Finally the EQS made it to Minnesota. I briefly drove a 580 today. Here are my impressions:
The good parts:
1. Excellent fit and finish
2. Easier to get in the front seat than the Taycan
3. Enough power
4. Image quality on the hyperscreen is top notch. Fonts are very easy to read, must be a high pixel density screen.

The surprising parts
1. Despite being huge on the outside, the cockpit size interior feels similar to the Taycan. In the driver seat definitely no significant difference.
2. Entry into the back seat is iffy, make sure you do not bang your head on the frame. I am only 5'10", still almost hitting the roof.
3. Position in the back seat is really weird. I thought the foot garages were unusual in the Taycan, but at least you can tuck your feet under the front seat. No such thing in the EQS. Furthermore, it felt like the floor surface is not horizontal, but a little down-sloping. Definitely not a very comfy seat. I would not cram 3 people in the back either - despite the huge outside dimensions.

Overall I feel less good about it. I was prepared to put a deposit, but now I have second thoughts. Why would I get such a huge car if space is similar? Will wait for more options (Macan EV, i4 M50). Lucid is another option.
I think the best option for a luxury, well build EV would be the new Range Rover in 2024.
The build, materials put most every car to shame. Having sat in 3 different variants, I was beyond impressed by it.

The EQS feels like a skateboard with seats and a few other bits slapped on it.
The alcantara is a thin swim suite material, the seats are comfortable, but not the same leather from previous S Class Napa leather.
Completely different with the Range Rover.

Imo The focal point shouldn't be the screen, but the design and materials.

Porsche Taycan Will you test drive the Mercedes EQS? rr5_026

Porsche Taycan Will you test drive the Mercedes EQS? 79-land-rover-range-rover-2021-official-reveal-images-sv-seats

Last edited: