OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I saw the Mercedes at a dealership and was not impressed. IMO, it is not a very good-looking car. NOW, the Audi looks good. I almost waited to get my Taycan until the Audi was released. If it looks like the pictures, plus the range, it would have been a difficult choice for me. I decided to move forward with the Taycan because usually, concept mockups are different than the actual car. Plus, I'm leasing the Taycan. The Audi can be my next car... :)
You are right, the Audi pic doesn't even have door handles... :)

I also think, buy/lease now, and then have much more time to really see what is coming up in the next few years and pick the perfect EV.
Sponsored

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Overall I feel less good about it. I was prepared to put a deposit, but now I have second thoughts. Why would I get such a huge car if space is similar? Will wait for more options (Macan EV, i4 M50). Lucid is another option.
Very interesting! I would not order it without a solid test drive.

Reactions: B61

JuTheKi

First Name
Jussi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 2022, RR P400e LWB 2018 "fully loaded"
Country flag
No, because I can not drive an ugly car, no matter how good it is.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I'd buy this in a nanosecond:

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Maybe a good thing that you did not put down a deposit. I spoke with a colleague today who loves my Taycan but needed more range due to his status as a road warrior. Upon my advice and counsel, he shot over to the local MB dealer to order an EQS. The schmucks at the local MB dealer took his $5K deposit but refused to negotiate a price. They told him they would discuss dollars only when the car arrived. In other words, they are setting him up for what I call a "Deutsch Auction" whereby one person configures, orders and puts a deposit on an already expensive german car only to have the dealer conduct a back-channel auction for the car when it arrives. Little wonder Tesla and its dealer-less sales model is so popular with consumers.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe a good thing that you did not put down a deposit. I spoke with a colleague today who loves my Taycan but needed more range due to his status as a road warrior. Upon my advice and counsel, he shot over to the local MB dealer to order an EQS. The schmucks at the local MB dealer took his $5K deposit but refused to negotiate a price. They told him they would discuss dollars only when the car arrived. In other words, they are setting him up for what I call a "Deutsch Auction" whereby one person configures, orders and puts a deposit on an already expensive german car only to have the dealer conduct a back-channel auction for the car when it arrives. Little wonder Tesla and its dealer-less sales model is so popular with consumers.
Amazing.

Fortunately, I'm very happy with my Taycan, so it's not like I need to find another car.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I'd buy this in a nanosecond:

Thanks for sharing. Impressive specs but the styling from the B-pillar backwards is not very convincing. I guess something needed to be sacrificed to get the aerodynamics right?

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Disgusting! As if a sales contract on paper is nothing worth!

I am curious to see, how the order process will work over here...

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. Impressive specs but the styling from the B-pillar backwards is not very convincing. I guess something needed to be sacrificed to get the aerodynamics right?
Just a concept car anyway. But import for Merc to see what can be done with their $100m wind channel.

I think once we see the 150kWh battery (600kg) become standard in the luxury segment, the styling swings back from air dynamic to eye pleasing... So I think even the EQS styling will not survive the first generation.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree. They must not have been aiming for a truly spacious 4-seat sedan when it came to the aft section.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I don't think you can negotiate a sales price when you make a deposit, only when you get a production slot and lock in your configuration. I did not have a price for the Taycan either when I made the deposit on the reveal day... I did put a deposit for an EQS 580 at 3 dealerships, all three are selling the custom orders at MSRP at this time.

Having gone through the wait list for the Model 3 and Taycan, my experience is that the rush is only for the first 6 months or so. A lot of reservation holders tend to not purchase so the queue is substantially shorter than what it seems originally. For example, I got my first Model 3 in February 2018 (first deliveries July 2017) despite being behind something like 130,000 people by the time I put the deposit (evening of the reveal). By the end of Q1 2018 Tesla had produced roughly 10,000 model 3s, so to the very least 120,000 reservation holders ahead of me declined the purchase...

I would therefore submit that your friend may actually be better off not signing for a price at the time of deposit. He may end up getting MSRP or below in few months only.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I don't think you can negotiate a sales price when you make a deposit, only when you get a production slot and lock in your configuration. I did not have a price for the Taycan either when I made the deposit on the reveal day... I did put a deposit for an EQS 580 at 3 dealerships, all three are selling the custom orders at MSRP at this time.

Having gone through the wait list for the Model 3 and Taycan, my experience is that the rush is only for the first 6 months or so. A lot of reservation holders tend to not purchase so the queue is substantially shorter than what it seems originally. For example, I got my first Model 3 in February 2018 (first deliveries July 2017) despite being behind something like 130,000 people by the time I put the deposit (evening of the reveal). By the end of Q1 2018 Tesla had produced roughly 10,000 model 3s, so to the very least 120,000 reservation holders ahead of me declined the purchase...

I would therefore submit that your friend may actually be better off not signing for a price at the time of deposit. He may end up getting MSRP or below in few months only.
You're correct with the 6 month rush.
RS E-Tron GT was $50k over in California for the first 6 months, now they want $10k over, which really means MSRP.
Only Mercedes that can possibly justify over MSRP are the low volume AMG variants, not a throw away mass production EV

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
You're correct with the 6 month rush.
RS E-Tron GT was $50k over in California for the first 6 months, now they want $10k over, which really means MSRP.
Only Mercedes that can possibly justify over MSRP are the low volume AMG variants, not a throw away mass production EV
Throw away? :)
Sponsored