Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Recently there was a long range test drive of the Mercedes EQS with the large battery. The guy drove from Munich to Berlin. It was 638km (396mi) without recharging. He arrived with 48km (30mi) range left. Total 686km (426mi). Average speed 104 km/h (64.6 mph) consumption 15.8 kWh. (25.4kWh/100mi).

Plug&charge on Ionity working.
Charging rate over 200kW adding 300km in 15 min. (almost as good as Taycan?)
From 6% to 79% SoC average 163 kW.
It was the most quiet EV he has ever driven.
Extremely efficient highway driving with 15-16kWh/100km (24.1-25.7kWh/100mi) driving 130km/h (80.8 mph).

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de...t-mercedes-eqs-450plus-elektroauto-reichweite
Id buy one if I was 65+

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Id buy one if I was 65+
I am 72 and have no use whatsoever for a huge car with a vast rear cabin which will be used very infrequently ferrying small grandchidren The Taycan rear is ideal.

As a Merc owner for the last 35 years I was interested by the EQE after reading about the EQS but it doesn't have a tailgate and removable parcel shelf so I can take my dog in it, so that "look" didn't last 5 minutes.

The Taycan CT rides better than most cars anyway and has sporting suspension settings available too. It is pretty quiet, though IME here in the UK the cabin noise of the cars I have driven is more dependant on the road surface than the car. There are stretches of motorway here with really loud surface noise, made all the more obvious going over repairs which aren't noisy!
Having enough soft bushings in the suspension and subframes to prevent this noise getting into the cabin would remove the possibility of sharp responses in handling.

I am still gobsmacked by the continuing banging on about range. I don't remember any road tests in the past devoting 25% of the writing to fuel tank size. It is important to me 3 or 4 times a year and I am prepared to (though not delighted to) put up with an extra stop. Of much greater concern for me is the absence of charging stops on the cross country routes I much prefer to motorways :(

I won't sell my plug in hybrid because getting up to the north of Scotland legally will be faster, though less comfortable, in our plug-in Prius than a Taycan. I haven't decided whether that is a critical factor until I do it in the Taycan.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The Taycan CT rides better than most cars anyway and has sporting suspension settings available too. It is pretty quiet, though IME here in the UK the cabin noise of the cars I have driven is more dependant on the road surface than the car. There are stretches of motorway here with really loud surface noise, made all the more obvious going over repairs which aren't noisy!
When I test drove the EQS it was both on French motorway surface but also on some more local roads with a rougher road surface and imperfections. On the motorway the difference in noise level was noted but marginal. But on the rougher surface the EQS was noticeable quieter. Music playing could be heard clearly and very little road noise to disturb. Drawback of course the EQS feels like a boat and is very soft going around corners.
Coming from motorways up to Calais and then going out on the M20 from Folkestone, you wonder if the car has developed faults or has punctures all around, in the Taycan. And the M25 south of London is so noisy you may as well switch off the radio.
Road surface noise on the E6 up to Oslo through Sweden is so noisy and also uses 10% more energy at same speed to other roads. And any discussion about the difference between the stndard rafio, Bose or Burmester is purely academic. You will not hear any of it anyway!

I am still gobsmacked by the continuing banging on about range. I don't remember any road tests in the past devoting 25% of the writing to fuel tank size. It is important to me 3 or 4 times a year and I am prepared to (though not delighted to) put up with an extra stop. Of much greater concern for me is the absence of charging stops on the cross country routes I much prefer to motorways
Agree that there is a lot of discussion about range, but I would personally welcome some 25% extra range, efficiency. Maybe that also could help on the cross country roads for you? We do about 6 to 8 long distance ( >1500 miles one way) drives per year. And on motorway speeds it means about a stop every two hours to charge. Or about every 160-170 mile. Would be nice if that could be in the low to mid 200 mile range in my case. Then we probably need a biological break anyhow.

But as with a lot of things in life there always are different factors to weigh up. Comfort, range vs driving pleasure, roadholding, brakes etc. The Taycan is very much in the sweet spot for that, but still wishing I could squeeze out a bit more range. Maybe next generation??

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Agree that there is a lot of discussion about range, but I would personally welcome some 25% extra range, efficiency. Maybe that also could help on the cross country roads for you?
It would but not enough to rule the car out!

I am sure narrower low rolling resistance tyres would help with range but would probably lose a lot of what I like about the car.

I have ordered the 21" CT wheels because I like them a lot more than all other Taycan wheels and am still debating on whether to get my winter tyres on 20" or the probably more appropriate 19" wheels I dislike the look of. I could even get a set of dry wheel/tyre on smaller rims for long journeys.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
It would but not enough to rule the car out!

I am sure narrower low rolling resistance tyres would help with range but would probably lose a lot of what I like about the car.

I have ordered the 21" CT wheels because I like them a lot more than all other Taycan wheels and am still debating on whether to get my winter tyres on 20" or the probably more appropriate 19" wheels I dislike the look of. I could even get a set of dry wheel/tyre on smaller rims for long journeys.
I have 20” wheels for the winter tyres and there is a difference in efficiency. The 21“ feel hard and noisy at lower temperatures. I would love to try out 20” tyres on my aftermarket wheels or even better on the aerodynamic Porsche wheels. But the looks….. ? of the Porsche aerodynamic wheels??

And overall the 21 inch GoodYears with some 18k miles have performed flawless. And still have some thread left for half a season at least.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I have both.

Porsche looks better on the outside, Mercedes looks better on the inside. But thats just my opinion.

Mercedes has a more limo like ride whereas the Porsche feels sportier. Sound insulation is better on the Mercedes.

Overall, the Mercedes feels more fully featured, but it just depends on what you like.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I have the same, 21"CT wheels and I took 20" for winter.
I've seen 19" in person, IMO, the look of Taycan would be ruined.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
This makes a great companion to the Taycan, the lines look better than the Sedan. Extremely smooth and a 7 seater.

20221001_123025.jpg
20221001_121435.jpg
20221001_115741.jpg
20221001_115721.jpg
Great, but too long, no need for a 7 seater.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I agree the gouging by dealers destroys the buying experience.
On a side note, there are many salesmen at this dealership that made over $1,000,000 selling cars last year. Let that sink in
Gosh, glad I sqeezed out a 2% cash discount on my little EQA 250+ I've ordered a week ago.

Overall, I am so glad, that there is so much more choice on EVs now!

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Saw my first EQS in the flesh today. Oh my. They should have called it the EOUS, as in HIDEOUS. I hope there is some kinda function following that form, because the form is simply awful.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Saw my first EQS in the flesh today. Oh my. They should have called it the EOUS, as in HIDEOUS. I hope there is some kinda function following that form, because the form is simply awful.
once you get past your objections to the looks of the sedan the car appears to be very well done. the tech is top notch and it has very good range.
FWIW: I spotted an EQS SUV and that car looks pretty good to me.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I agree its too big and no need for 7 seats. Im starting to really like the ID Buzz though
ID Buzz is also too big. My neighbor got an all black BMW iX7. Big SUV but just way to ugly on the front. My money on the next EV is either on the EQE SUV or Audi new Q8 etron. Need to see both and test drive.

There is more choice now and therefore no automatic purchase like in 2019 with the Taycan.
Sponsored