Will you test drive the Mercedes EQS?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
once you get past your objections to the looks of the sedan the car appears to be very well done. the tech is top notch and it has very good range.
FWIW: I spotted an EQS SUV and that car looks pretty good to me.
I could never get past the looks of it. The shape is just clownish. It looks like an egg with wheels. And the interior was ridiculously garish and overdone.
Sponsored

guess2098

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan GTS, 23 EQS580 SUV
Country flag
just took delivery of EQS580 SUV last night. I like it. handling is bad, style is bad, interior is too colorful. Other than those it is a good car just like Porsche.

mallupappi

First Name
Sunil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
nothing interesting... yet
Country flag
I could never get past the looks of it. The shape is just clownish. It looks like an egg with wheels. And the interior was ridiculously garish and overdone.
This infuriates me! It's like, on the inside they said, "We want to focus on technology and luxury" (which they do in spades) but then on the outside some dumbass said, "You know what goes great with luxury and tech? An uninspired, but randomly aerodynamic, body shape!"

For me the Taycan exterior matched the interior... it's like someone just said, "Let's make a badass, luxurious, electric car." And then they did.

That and the merc SA was a dick from the jump. It shouldn't matter but, I was already leaning Porsche and this was the nail in my not picking the EQS.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
An uninspired, but randomly aerodynamic, body shape!
"The best or nothing."

I suspect Mercedes was focused on achieving best-in-class aerodynamics for the EQS sedan, which they did: 0.20. The Taycan sedan is 0.22.

Porsche got the looks. Mercedes got the blob.

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
If the EQS was just an EV S Class, it would be a much harder decision. I sat in the EQS and looked at the Taycan (co-located dealerships) and it didn’t take long to go with the Taycan. The EQS SUV exterior styling is more palatable, though.

mallupappi

First Name
Sunil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
nothing interesting... yet
Country flag
If the EQS was just an EV S Class, it would be a much harder decision. I sat in the EQS and looked at the Taycan (co-located dealerships) and it didn’t take long to go with the Taycan. The EQS SUV exterior styling is more palatable, though.
This 100%! I've got 3 kids and a larger backseat was almost a dealbreaker. In the end I was reminded (by my wife of all people!) that I'd likely only ever be driving the kids around without her (she has an SUV) or taking her out on date nights. Only very rarely do we expect to take all 5 of us in the Porsche (got the 2+1).

If the exterior styling looked like a more traditional S class, it'd have been a tougher choice.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
One word (regarding exterior): boring!
Actually three words: Boring as hell :angel:

guess2098

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan GTS, 23 EQS580 SUV
Country flag
This 100%! I've got 3 kids and a larger backseat was almost a dealbreaker. In the end I was reminded (by my wife of all people!) that I'd likely only ever be driving the kids around without her (she has an SUV) or taking her out on date nights. Only very rarely do we expect to take all 5 of us in the Porsche (got the 2+1).

If the exterior styling looked like a more traditional S class, it'd have been a tougher choice.
EQS SUV will be a good choice for you. my kids love it because they have bigger space in 2nd row. they used to love my Taycan and fully modify m3 and m4, unfortunately they once sit on a Cayenne loaner and they are telling me to keep that Cayenne.....

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Country flag
I was not too impressed with my test drive of the EQS sedan. It had a level of quietness that is initially impressive, but overall it lacked the cosseting feeling of an S-Class. It felt more like a tech product than an ultra luxury experience.

The EQ brand will be dropped by 2024 (C&D), so it seems that they took customer complaints seriously.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I was not too impressed with my test drive of the EQS sedan. It had a level of quietness that is initially impressive, but overall it lacked the cosseting feeling of an S-Class. It felt more like a tech product than an ultra luxury experience.

The EQ brand will be dropped by 2024 (C&D), so it seems that they took customer complaints seriously.
Daimler is spending a lot time and money to figure out why the EQS isn't as successful as they thought it would be

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
EQS design is the sole reason I went from E class hybrid to Taycan. I did not see a path forward with the current EQ line-up.
it’s no longer “my Mercedes”
- thin plating
- ugly plastic
- low quality ”lightweight” interior
- ugly iPads
- mediocre performance
- at the wrong pricepoint

the current line-up should compete with 50K chinese cars. No way you want to spend 100-150k on a decent specced one.
they had their opportunity with AMG coming with a 600hp 4 GT coupe FEV, for 125k€, but missed the boat.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Daimler is spending a lot time and money to figure out why the EQS isn't as successful as they thought it would be
I think it is difficult for "car people" engineers to understand, or maybe accept, what the general public want.
It seems what they definitely don't want is big change, even when the technical reasons are compelling, after all most people have either no interest in or aptitude for things technical.

Just like the BMW i3 was a technically logical design of EV it was too different to what the general car market was used to, and the market did not understand why the difference was logical so were unconvinced. BMW were surprised and just now make ordinary cars with electric motors, which is not as good technically but what the general car buying public wanted.

If I had any need of an EV with a huge amount of space in the back seat I would consider the EQS way before an SUV, if only because it has less drag, but the most fashionable car is an SUV at the moment.
We have to live with it.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
EQS design is the sole reason I went from E class hybrid to Taycan. I did not see a path forward with the current EQ line-up.
it’s no longer “my Mercedes”
- thin plating
- ugly plastic
- low quality ”lightweight” interior
- ugly iPads
- mediocre performance
- at the wrong pricepoint

the current line-up should compete with 50K chinese cars. No way you want to spend 100-150k on a decent specced one.
they had their opportunity with AMG coming with a 600hp 4 GT coupe FEV, for 125k€, but missed the boat.
In China Mercedes with EQs had massive price drops. Hard for them to compete with the Chinese brands, who understand the Chinese consumer much better. The software and other tech they offer in the car is so behind now...

In China we went from 5% to 30% of EVs on the road in the past 5 years. The growth is massive, but it is almost all local brands. Recently in a big city I saw a large gas station closed and newly build electric charging park right next to it open.

Back in central Europe, still very little EVs on the road, the air still very bad, still almost no public chargers. The difference in speed of transformation is staggering. Western car manufactures just cannot get their s*** together. Look at the Porsche guy, now boss at VW, traveling to Chile to open a e-fuel plant. This excessive backward thinking is not only a total waste of time, but damaging to the planet and destructive to the competitiveness of their companies.

When you look at the EQ lineup, it's the same thing. They focus on the wrong tech and give up good car design for it. So at the end they get nothing for all the work, because customers don't care if they get 400km or 430km for a battery charge, but need to drive an ugly car. The success of the Taycan shows it! Why they cannot analyze and learn from it (including the new VW boss), is beyond me.

AutobahnGTS

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Model S 100D, Model 3P
Country flag
Just my two cents on the EQS, its‘ styling, what it does well, and what it lacks.
I have now gathered a lot of experience with 3 of the probably 4 best luxury BEVs on sale.
Taycan (GTS ST), Tesla Model S (100D and Raven Performance), and EQS 450+ (with the Lucid Air missing).
The EQS is a great car (as are the others). Its‘ biggest strength is long distance travel, partularly on the German Autobahn. Compared to the Tesla, it is a lot LESS EFFICIENT when driving around town and even at 100kph on the rural roads. Its‘ strength of being super aerodynamic comes into play when going fast. At 140 to 160kph, I‘d say it is the sweetspot for this car. Here the EQS is around 15% more efficient than my MS, significantly quieter, its‘ driving assistance features are second to none, and its‘ range is still larger than the capacity of my bladder. Also, it charges fast (not Taycan fast, but fast nevertheless) and does so at various SoCs. Therefore, you can take your breaks when you want, not when it‘s most “convenient for the car“. One more little thing: the digital light is THE BEST front lighting system I have ever experienced and I hope the new HD lights for Porsche will match that. It is mega bright, makes a beautiful, even light, that makes detecting obstacles very easy, it gives good feedback when it actively adapts things, it is crazy precise at not blinding on coming trafic (it pixel perfect „cuts out“ the cars), and it projects useful information on the road ahead. It is a small thing, but that‘s the kind of stuff to get me hyped.
Same goes for the 10 degree AWS. It takes some getting used to, but once you have it figured out, you are driving a VW Polo in town. Crazy.

I must say, the design has really grown on me. It doesn‘t look anywhere near as good from the front as the other 3, and has a relatively ugly tail end (just like the Tesla and the Lucid). However, for me personally, owner of a construction business, the looks are rather advantageous when compared to a standard S-Class or something like the i7.
It’s still a huge, expensive car, don‘t get me wrong. However, the low and short front end, as well as the general proportions of the vehicle, make it look a lot smaller than it is. I find it looks „more modest“ than an S-Class and definitely than an i7. Many people hate that, but I use my car mainly to meet employees and customers, neither of which I want to flex my wealth on. When parked in the car park of my company, it doesn‘t look larger than an Audi A6 or BMW 6 Series).

Also, Mercedes knew full well when designing the car, that this would be a really divisive design, and a lot of S-Class customers would hate the car. They still went with the most sensibel exterior design. Mega aerodynamic, which makes it super efficient at high speeds and oh so quite. And also more compact than a normal S-Class, for the same internal dimensions, with a more useable trunk.

The updated version (not facelift) arriving in Q4 2023 (production beginning August/September), will have a few key improvements (all of which the Taycan already has). It finally gets the heating pump, which it absolutely needs (it is so much more inefficient at heating the car atm), it will get a DCU on the front motor, so finally less of a penalty for going AWD, and it might also get the active roll stabilization that the EQE SUV has.

What I dislike most about the car, or rather the Mercedes configurator, is that you cannot freely mix and match options. You want small wheels for efficiency sake? Then you will get low spec everywhere else, too. You want leather-free seats? No venting for front row, no comfort seats for the rear, sorry! There are just too many options that are bundled together with other options, for seemingly no reason at all. I don‘t want a low spec car for choosing one option “lower spec“. The Taycan was so much better at that. The only reason you couldn‘t choose smaller rims was, because the brakes are too large. Not because that wouldn‘t fit the more luxury car.

Two things that Mercedes really needs to get fixed is the braking and the frunk situation.
The brakes work well, but the feeling of them is the worst I’ve ever had to experience. It’s the polar opposite of that of the Taycan. The pedal moves automatically, with the pressure point moving as well. Really imprecise and uncanny at times.
Also, why exactly does the car not have a frunk? Because of the Hepa Filter? Yeah, right. On the EQS they at least put a plastic cover over the emptiness. The EQE (that can be ordered with a HEPA filter, too) reveals the true potential that has been missed here:
Porsche Taycan Will you test drive the Mercedes EQS? DA7385AE-E6E3-4220-9A87-20961DC0E22E

In conclusion, the EQS is not a perfect car. It drives nowhere near as well as a Taycan, nor does it look nearly as good. Also, there are definitely things to improve, that should‘ve been there in the first place.
However, it is a mile-munching comfort machine, that has the best driving assistance, light, and high-speed road trip capabilities, I have ever exeprience in any EV. Probably not what you want when driving up to Passo dello Stelvio, but rather when driving long Autobahn trips for work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
However, it is a mile-munching comfort machine, that has the best driving assistance, light, and high-speed road trip capabilities, I have ever exeprience in any EV.
Very good sum up. I hope the EQE SUV will be even better.
Sponsored