Windshied replacement in Bay Area?

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,
Got a crack in my windshield from a rock. It isn't awful and it is closer to the A pillar than in direct line of sight, so I could live with it, unless it spreads and gets a lot worse.
But wanted to see my options.
I do have windshield replacement with StateFarm, but wanted to check if anyone went through this in the Bay Area and with which companies for the repair. Safelite doesn't list the car on their site, and even Statefarm's group that processes the claim for windshields doesn't have in their system.

Thanks
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
i did my 911 GT3 w/dealership service - insurance paid for it with glass deductible - that way you get OEM part no question

you’ll have to take it to dealership after install for calibration of all the driving aid sensors anyways - camera etc look through the windshield

non-porsche service can’t calibrate the driving sensors

dealership will do it all - one service visit

i hate to admit this on a public forum but dealership wins on this one - like warranty work

Last edited:
OP
OP

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
i did my 911 GT3 w/dealership service - insurance paid for it with glass deductible - that way you get OEM part no question

you’ll have to take it to dealership after install for calibration of all the driving aid sensors anyways - camera etc look through the windshield

non-porsche service can’t calibrate the driving sensors

dealership will do it all
Thanks. Seems I need to work with insurance on that to convince them that others can't calibrate the sensors. the phone person said Safelite and others have the equipment to do that (in general, not specifically for Porsche). Obviously I want Porsche to do that. Porsche mentioned today that the calibration is expensive. Also, occurred to me that since I have the dual pane glass, I doubt non-OEM vendors would have that yet.

Thanks again.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
just get a service invoice for all the work from dealership and ask for claims approval - it’s what i did with GT3

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I just went through this for a side window cracked from a rock (thermal glass). My local dealership ( Stevens creek in SJ) recommended Golden State Auto glass and tint. Small shop but parked exclusively with Porsches when I visited. Safelite had no issue wherever I wanted to get the work done even if it was the dealership which quoted double. Ended up paying less than my deductible with Golden State and was very happy with the work.

If the crack hasn’t spread I would much prefer repairing than replacing the windshield if I were you.

OP
OP

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just went through this for a side window cracked from a rock (thermal glass). My local dealership ( Stevens creek in SJ) recommended Golden State Auto glass and tint. Small shop but parked exclusively with Porsches when I visited. Safelite had no issue wherever I wanted to get the work done even if it was the dealership which quoted double. Ended up paying less than my deductible with Golden State and was very happy with the work.

If the crack hasn’t spread I would much prefer repairing than replacing the windshield if I were you.
thanks. did you mean State Farm when you said Safelite had no issues?

i assume Golden State got the thermal glass?

Last edited:

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Yes, the thermal glass came from Porsche Germany. Quoted 5 weeks back order but ended up getting it in a bit less than 3 weeks.

I had initially inquired through Progessive and Safelite serves their glass insurance. Ended not going through insurance but they did confirm the dealership quote was also covered.
Sponsored