ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I honestly don't know - I didn't ask.
I do think I am both overly sensitive to changes in my view, and impatient.

It is possible that more time would have smoothed it out, but I'm really not sure - when I removed the film it was very thick and very rigid. It seemed like it wasn't changing at all no matter how much time and sunlight it got.

I'll probably regret removing it when I get my first rock chip :)

I went into it as an experiment, reasoning I could remove it if I was unhappy with alterations to the view, so I've got no bad feelings about any of it.
Curious as to what make of film you used - I have Stek's latest product and it is near perfect re calrity/visibilty BUT I too had a wavy pattern on the first install attempt that albeit somewhat subtle, was still unacceptable to me (would drive me nuts after a while) - so went straight back to the installer (my local custom shop) and they saw the waviness and immediately removed and performed a re-application with their top/most experienced guy - night and day result - not even comparable, so suspect with yours and other dodgy install results here it may well be down to the expertise and experience of the installer.

The Taycan's windshield is enormous and very curved so getting it planted just right is no mean task. I've had mine for months now and has held up perfectly but also has worked very effectively as I have had at least 4 hits since summer that I am entirely confident would have seriously pitted but more probably would have cracked the windshield.
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
The shop I got all of my work done advised me that they don’t do windshield film for this very reason. He said that the wipers tend to destroy them pretty rapidly….especially in winter.
Many many torrential rain events here in Houston over the last 8 months and zero effect on my Stek install - possible perhaps that more extreme temp fluctuations (i.e. cold to hot) might cause the 'tackiness' of the product to vary enough to trap dirt or something similar if your shop's statement is true - have not seen this at all myself so far and fairly sure that Stek would have tested this extensively, but who knows!

Dave777

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1982 911SC, 997C4S, Cayenne, 2022 CT4
Country flag
We have had STEK on our windshield for nearly a year now. Our experience with it has been much like Ciaranob’s. Our installer was very meticulous, and we had no decernable waviness. He followed up with a ceramic coat to alleviate wiper chatter..and that has worked nicely. It’s very important to make sure the windshield is wet before you use the wipers and also keep it very clean. I wash it on a nearly daily basis with a weak Ph neutral water and soap and a window microfibre. Don’t use windshield cleaning sprays, and make sure your washer fluid is Ph neutral. Just takes a bit of extra care to keep it looking and lasting.
Like Ciaranob, we’ve had a few hits that left a small “pit” in the surface. It would have significantly done some damage to the windshield if not there.
Depending on your driving and exposure it will eventually show wear and tear…here in British Columbia its wet, winter, and salty so it gets quite a lot thrown at it…and it seems to be holding up. We’ll possibly replace by the fall as it wears more.

Rob********

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
I had a windscreen replaced on a volvo some years back here in UK. Car had all the sensors and cameras for traffic sign recognition, lane keeping, etc, and the windscreen was replaced on my drive in an hour or so. No issues whatsoever. Insurance paid.

In the UK, would the Taycan screen be covered by insurance?

OP
OP

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Insurance paid.

The point is that we all pay the insurance premiums. These payouts from the insurance company are paid by us in either current or future premiums. These sort of excessive costs are not right. Think about it - $3,500 on a car with $87k base price. That is beyond outrageous, it is a mugging sans the mugger. Charging 4% of the vehicle base price to replace a windscreen is simply wrong.
Porsche needs to get their $hit together or this will be my last.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had a windscreen replaced on a volvo some years back here in UK. Car had all the sensors and cameras for traffic sign recognition, lane keeping, etc, and the windscreen was replaced on my drive in an hour or so. No issues whatsoever. Insurance paid.
I'm guessing that either,
  1. the servicer did not bother to align the windshield-mounted sensors, and the design of the car was such that you didn't notice, or
  2. the servicer properly aligned the windshield-mounted sensors at a huge discount vs. the dealership.
Is there a third choice?

Rob********

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Perhaps i didn't notice any change in functionality. But it could also be the case that the design was such that it allowed for simple windscreen replacement because the manufacturer knew windscreens need replacing from time to time.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Of course it would assuming you are covered for that. An excess may be payable.

Cars with HUD and insulated glass will cost much more than a standard screen to replace and all will require camera calibration for sure.

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Resurrecting this thread. I just had a chance encounter with an unknown object that not only chipped my windshield in 5(!) different places but left behind a dark brown residue behind each chip that wont come off with alcohol or acetone. Pretty sure whatever it is is inside the crack...looks like a huge bug exploded in 3 parts.

Anyways I was looking on Safelite and a new windshield would only set me back $455. That doesn't even look right as I just had my 996's windshield replaced for $1,200....someone fact check me here.

OP
OP

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
My windshield was replaced a few months ago for $3,500+. Perhaps, Safelight is now capable to repair/replace, they would not touch it when mine was damaged. Please keep us posted.
Sponsored