Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That is nucking futs. My car will be for sale the next day if they were to charge me $3,400 to replace a windshield.

The windshield on my Golf R cost about $750 all in a few years back.
Sponsored

OP
OP

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
That is nucking futs. My car will be for sale the next day if they were to charge me $3,400 to replace a windshield.

The windshield on my Golf R cost about $750 all in a few years back.
Until it happens, then what? Sell the car? I am most unhappy.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Related: my RWD needed a windshield when I traded it in. Lots of pockmarks, which is consistent with every Porsche I've ever owned.

For the GTS I had them apply exterior windshield protection film in the hopes of having a tear-off sacrificial layer.

It's only been 48 hours - so far it's very wavy and the distortion is bugging me, but hoping that will pass as it dries and settles in.

I will report back with my experience.
I went to our local paint protection shop and they said they tried using several brands of windshield protection products and all of them had major issues resulting in 90% failure due to distortion and peeling. They do not offer that service any more.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Related: my RWD needed a windshield when I traded it in. Lots of pockmarks, which is consistent with every Porsche I've ever owned.

For the GTS I had them apply exterior windshield protection film in the hopes of having a tear-off sacrificial layer.

It's only been 48 hours - so far it's very wavy and the distortion is bugging me, but hoping that will pass as it dries and settles in.

I will report back with my experience.
I'm very sensitive to anything in the windshield. I learned to look through the distortion and now I don't even see it unless I look for it.
At first I couldn't drive because of it.

The distortion is on the curved parts of the windshield.

I couldn't imagine driving without it now

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Until it happens, then what? Sell the car? I am most unhappy.
If Porsche can’t put a new windshield in one of their cars for less than $3400, I have no interest in another Porsche. When I had a Cayman windshield replaced at the dealer about five years ago the total bill was about $1,500. $1,200 just to recalibrate the camera on a Taycan is ridiculous. Pure abuse of the customer.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm very sensitive to anything in the windshield. I learned to look through the distortion and now I don't even see it unless I look for it.
At first I couldn't drive because of it.

The distortion is on the curved parts of the windshield.

I couldn't imagine driving without it now
Strangely the driver's side looks pretty clear but the passenger side is wavy as hell.

It needs time in the sunshine.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
If Porsche can’t put a new windshield in one of their cars for less than $3400, I have no interest in another Porsche. When I had a Cayman windshield replaced at the dealer about five years ago the total bill was about $1,500. $1,200 just to recalibrate the camera on a Taycan is ridiculous. Pure abuse of the customer.
I had 2020 Cayenne windshield replaced and calibration of the cameras was $600. However, I do not have any special camera options on the Cayenne besides a standard feature of Warn/Break Assist. Taycan calibration may be more involved if it includes Traffic Sign recognition and other camera features that need calibration so it may be $600 per feature to be calibrated.

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Here is the break down of the replacement cost totaling $3,358.03:
Camera Calibration 1,200.00
Well, that is one way to protect your future business now that the EV's are needing less maintenance than ICE cars .. :p

(Feels eerily similar to the wheel alignment that needs a bumper removal and also expensive sensor calibration..)

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Agreed. Quotes like these make me think I can part out my new Taycan for 3x MSRP.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Well, that is one way to protect your future business now that the EV's are needing less maintenance than ICE cars .. :p

(Feels eerily similar to the wheel alignment that needs a bumper removal and also expensive sensor calibration..)
Agreed.
I think we are starting to see a 'Taycan Tax' on repairs to fund the low servicing costs.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My insurance company uses Safelight as do many others. Safelight won't touch the Taycan. The dealer has their own subcontractor and they do the rest. The sub was fair at $550.
Safelite replaced my broken windshield and recalibrated everything on my 2020 TTurbo a few months ago. Done perfectly and no cost to me.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Update on the windshield film - I couldn't live with it and removed it.

It fortunately came off in one piece and left no glue residue.

I don't fault my shop for this at all, their work was stellar, I just think I am too picky for something between me and the view of the road.

Last edited:
OP
OP

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Safelite replaced my broken windshield and recalibrated everything on my 2020 TTurbo a few months ago. Done perfectly and no cost to me.
I spoke with Safelite, they told me they cannot replace the windshield. They can repair but cannot replace. Maybe I was given wrong information, however they refused to do it.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It took about a month for Safelite to get the windshield from Porsche and did the install in a few hours. This was on Long Island, NY. No issues, no problems.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Update on the windshield film - I couldn't live with it and removed it.

It fortunately came off in one piece and left no glue residue.

I don't fault my shop for this at all, their work was stellar, I just think I am too picky for something between me and the view of the road.
Was it Stek?
I was going to remove mine too after 3 days because it's almost dangerous
Sponsored