riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Edinburgh has to be one of my favorite cities on earth, and Scotland one of my favorite places. Beautiful scenery, incredible hospitality, great locally made ales and spirits, and friendly locals. Tough to ask for more on a holiday.

Really loving this trip report. I did a similar Scotland road trip in 2015 for my 30th birthday, but I sadly wasn't doing it in as much style as you. Our rental was a Jetta Wagon where I had to navigate driving on left hand side of the road while also shifting gears. Thank god Scottish drivers are friendly and their backroads are sparsely driven and easy to navigate.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_6279.PNG

Shell Recharge has a neat statistic where it estimates the amount of CO2 saved by charging an EV vs driving an ICE vehicle. More mobility providers (i.e. Porsche Charging Service) should do this.

The app has this note on how they calculate this figure.

CO, savings are calculated as following:

Fuel mix:
50% petrol, 50% diesel
Usage: 1 kWh = 5 km
Average CO2 emission of diesel: 160 g/km
Average CO2, emission of gasoline: 173 g/km

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 4: Inverness (Scotland) -> Kinloch Rannoch (Scotland)

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland Day 4 Route Ma

Checked out of Ness Walk at 11am with a full DC-provided destination charge.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_6295

You can't stay in Inverness without checking out the beautiful Loch Ness and its infamous monster. The length of the lake surprised me – at 37 kilometres - it really is very impressive, especially as it is not particularly wide. My co-driver and I spent a solid minute and a half looking for the monster – to no avail.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4049

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4055

To no surprise the legend of the monster is utilised to the maximum for tourism. Reminding us a little of the now deceased Fungie the Dolphin closer to home.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4062

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4063

We enjoyed the winter-scape as we meandered our way towards Fort William.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4143

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4148

Crossing between the mountain ranges via Glen Coe on the A82. This area reminded us a lot of the West of Ireland – maybe a little more brown – but similar feeling.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4208

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4211

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4217

We stopped for a bite to eat TJ's diner in Tyndrum – as unlikely a place as any to find an American themed restaurant – with The Real Food Cafe next door also looking appealing.

We thought we'd get an opportunistic charge here – but alas the charger's were broken – an all too frequent occurrence in some parts of the highlands. Thankfully, we weren't relying on it at all – and I noticed it was marked as broken in Zap Map and Plugshare.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_6296

Instead our plan of continuing to meander along this route – had us continue to follow the A85 alongside the twisty road alongside Loch Earn as dusk approached, with the sun setting quickly.

As we were passing by Perth and we weren't sure about the situation with destination charging at our hotel tonight, we decided to grab a charge at the IONITY station again.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_6580

Doesn't the Neptune Blue look great in the glow of the IONITY charger light?

I spoke to a chap visiting from Northern Ireland/Belfast who had an ID.4 – this was his first time using IONITY or any rapid charger and he was disappointed to only be receiving 44kW and rather envious of us comfortably pulling 240kW. It was only then I realised that the ID.4 drivers have no way of telling the exact battery charge or temperature – something we take for granted on the Taycan.

After quickly consuming more than enough energy, we headed back along the A9 Inverness towards our hotel for the night – Dunalastair Hotel Suites at Kinlock Rannoch – near Pitlochry – our home for the next two nights.

Even though there is a public 50kW charger right outside the hotel, we took advantage of the free 22kW destination charger available to hotel guests.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_6590

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
IONITY Perth27%88%55.99GBP£ 16.8028 mins1135DC 350kWIONITY
Dunalastair Hotel Suites64%100%30.05Free1 hour 36 minutes10.530AC 22kWTesla Destination Chargercal

Today we did 348 km over 5:59 hours, with an average speed of 60km/h, consuming 24.5 kWh/100km.

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Good stuff - thx for sharing! Familiar with all your routes so far including the boat trip (have family living Scotland) but almost all our past visits have been during summer months - couple of rare trips in winter when I lived in the UK for a coupe years many moons ago :)

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
Day 4: Inverness (Scotland) -> Kinloch Rannoch (Scotland)

Day 4 Route Map.png

Checked out of Ness Walk at 11am with a full DC-provided destination charge.

IMG_6295.jpeg

You can't stay in Inverness without checking out the beautiful Loch Ness and its infamous monster. The length of the lake surprised me – at 37 kilometres - it really is very impressive, especially as it is not particularly wide. My co-driver and I spent a solid minute and a half looking for the monster – to no avail.

IMG_4049.jpeg

IMG_4055.jpeg

To no surprise the legend of the monster is utilised to the maximum for tourism. Reminding us a little of the now deceased Fungie the Dolphin closer to home.

IMG_4062.jpeg

IMG_4063.jpeg

We enjoyed the winter-scape as we meandered our way towards Fort William.

IMG_4143.jpeg

IMG_4148.jpeg

Crossing between the mountain ranges on the A82. This area reminded us a lot of the West of Ireland – maybe a little more brown – but similar feeling.

IMG_4208.jpeg

IMG_4211.jpeg

IMG_4217.jpeg

We stopped for a bite to eat TJ's diner in Tyndrum – as unlikely a place as any to find an American themed restaurant – with The Real Food Cafe next door also looking appealing.

We thought we'd get an opportunistic charge here – but alas the charger's were broken – an all too frequent occurrence in some parts of the highlands. Thankfully, we weren't relying on it at all – and I noticed it was marked as broken in Zap Map and Plugshare.

IMG_6296.jpeg

Instead our plan of continuing to meander along this route – had us continue to follow the A85 alongside the twisty road alongside Loch Earn as dusk approached, with the sun setting quickly.

(4K version still processing by YouTube)

As we were passing by Perth and we weren't sure about the situation with destination charging at our hotel tonight, we decided to grab a charge at the IONITY station again.

IMG_6580.jpeg

Doesn't the Neptune Blue look great in the glow of the IONITY charger light?

I spoke to a chap visiting from Northern Ireland/Belfast who had an ID.4 – this was his first time using IONITY or any rapid charger and he was disappointed to only be receiving 44kW and rather envious of us comfortably pulling 240kW. It was only then I realised that the ID.4 drivers have no way of telling the exact battery charge or temperature – something we take for granted on the Taycan.

After quickly consuming more than enough energy, we headed back along the A9 Inverness towards our hotel for the night – Dunalastair Hotel Suites at Kinlock Rannoch – near Pitlochry – our home for the next two nights.

Even though there is a public 50kW charger right outside the hotel, we took advantage of the free 22kW destination charger available to hotel guests.

IMG_6590.jpeg

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
IONITY Perth27%84%55.99GBP£ 16.8028 mins1135DC 350kWIONITY
Dunalastair Hotel Suites64%100%30.05Free1 hour 36 minutes10.530AC 22kWTesla Destination Chargercal

Today we did 343km over 6:20 hours, with an average speed of 59km/h, consuming 23.4 kWh/100km.
One of the most beautiful drives ever is through Glencoe...whether that be in rain or sun. Stunning

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 5: Exploring Cairngorms National Park (Scotland)

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland Day 5 Route

The plan today was for a simple drive around the nearby Cairngorms National Park – the largest in the United Kingdom.

We left with a full battery from the destination charger at our hotel – first heading into the tourist town of Pitlochry to buy some gifts and pick up some Rapid lateral flow coronavirus (COVID-19) tests. Always nice to see that some towns still have free short-term on-street parking.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_6611

Afterwards, we headed for Blairgowrie, stopping off at a Tesco to get some supplies before shops closed for New Year's Eve/Hogmanay.

We stumbled upon four charges built into an advertising board in the car park and plugged in for a free top-up. It was only 7kW so we only ended up adding about 2% to our battery.

It seems like supermarkets really need much faster charging to be practical. Tesco in Ireland all have 22kW chargers – though they are not free to use. Still every watt helps!

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_6618

After our chores, we pushed on to Balmoral Castle – we knew it would be closed for winter season – so only stopped as it was on our route.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4454

Continuing on towards Tomintoul we pass over Gairnshiel Bridge – which comes upon you as a surprise – as the Taycan points skywards as you drive over it!

Driving through a few Ski Centre's with little to no snow!

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4547

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4550

Arriving into Grantown-on-Spey in the late afternoon where we grabbed a quick bite and a charge. I don't have a ChargePlace Scotland RFID tag and the on-line payment service refused to co-operate.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_6637.PNG

Fortunately the helpdesk were able to get a charge going remotely on second attempt and we started pulling 46kW immediately. No charge has yet appeared on my account.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_6625

After food, it was almost dark – with an eerie mist for added atmosphere.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_6638

Time for us to unplug and head back to our hotel again – via Aviemore – with the mist and rain descending from the hills.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4575

Arriving back at the hotel we plug into the available destination charger for an overnight topup to 100%.

The days charging stats:

Tesco88%90%2.52Free31 mins924AC 7kWPodPoint
Grantown-on-Spey34%70%30.24Free (maybe)45 mins1032DC 50kWChargePlace Scotland
Dunalastair Hotel Suites45%100%46.2Free2 hours 35 mins8.530AC 22kWTesla Destination Charger

Today we did 328 km over 5:54 hours, with an average speed of 57km/h, consuming 25.5 kWh/100km.

Last edited:

TaycanRe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Audi Q4 50
Country flag
Great trip! Thanks for sharing :)
Btw, in what mode are you driving? I feel the consumption a bit high?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Great trip! Thanks for sharing :)
Btw, in what mode are you driving? I feel the consumption a bit high?
Normal mode 90% of the time – Sport mode on some twisty bits.

I've noticed consumption up by around 2-3kWh/100km since I put winter tyres on and temps dropped to 10 degrees (celsius) or under compared to summer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you and your Co-pilot should have concentrated a bit harder on your monster watch.
? ?

If you look carefully, there is something in the water.

It might just be a shadow though.......!?!?

IMG_4055.jpeg
One for the home office wall!

Though that pixel under our Taycan makes me think maybe Nessie would prefer it in Shark Blue ?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 6: Kinloch Rannoch (Scotland) -> Glasgow (Scotland)

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland Route Ma

This morning we check out of our hotel and start the journey home to Dublin by heading south to Glasgow. We take advantage of our location to take the scenic route via Tyndrum and Inveraray.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_6927

Today – though it is unseasonably warm – it is one of those beautiful winter days where it will never get very bright.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4596

We stop at Tummel Bridge power staton – one of the many hydro schemes in the Scottish Highlands – and very likely where we are getting our power to charge our Taycan these past few days.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4602

Many of the roads on this route are rather narrow but very drivable.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4615

We stopped off (again) at Tyndrum for some lunch and a comfort break, where we browsed the Internet on an impressive Vodafone GPRS connection – I didn't think cell switches fell back to that anymore!

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland Screenshot 2022-01-01 at 16.06.00

Passed more hydro stations.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4699

Where we soon picked up Loch Lomond on our left-hand side.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4705

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4714

There was a steady stream of traffic, so we let adaptive cruise control do most of the work and took the opportunity and inspiration of this trip to listen to some of Linn Records catalogue on Apple Music – rendered in lossless playback on our Burmester.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland Screenshot 2022-01-01 at 15.43.57

We crossed over the River Clyde on the Erskine Bridge and down into centre of Glasgow – where unexpectedly – some of the hills rival San Francisco (slight exaggeration!)

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_4737

Quickly reaching our hotel – Kimpton Blythswood Square Hotel – for our overnight stay.

There was an AC public charger right outside the door, so we plugged into that before check-in. This time the webpay worked flawlessly and we pulled the full amount of power that our 22kW charger provides.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_6968

We settle into our room with a nice view over the public garden.

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_6984

Porsche Taycan Winter 2021 road trip to Scotland IMG_7153

The days charging stats:

Kimpton Blythswood Square, Glasgow49%100%48.5 kWhGBP £7.762 hours 10 mins12.522AC 22kWChargePlace Scotland

Today we did 183 km over 3:16 hours, with an average speed of 57km/h, consuming 22.3 kWh/100km.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Nice report again, and some very nice pictures. Wonderful to see the landscape. Reports like yours will help and encourage a lot of new EV drivers to dare to take some trips. Very much appreciated!
Sponsored