First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
I don't feel so bad now.
At the end of November I chopped in my 4S for a new CT 4S. Both with 20” wheels.
I was getting 250-260 miles constantly with the 4S.
For the last 10 days we have not seen a day with temperatures above freezing and having parked the CT outside all night in -5 degrees, got only 155 miles showing.
Also, after driving for 90 minutes, the battery pack had only got to 12 degrees!
Other initial differences are how much quieter the car is , but how much better the Pilot Sport 4S tyres were than the Pilot Sport 4 I have on the CT.
Love gravel mode though!

Porsche Taycan Winter And Cold Temperature Weather EV Range Loss - % loss in popular models (chart) 70669D5C-5BA4-4F1C-8BED-49FE10C4D7F8

Porsche Taycan Winter And Cold Temperature Weather EV Range Loss - % loss in popular models (chart) 240E7635-6C46-42E8-9838-0C3955C86F83

Runestone

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I can also confirm the windscreen washing system isn't good enough to defrost itself at -6. How do they cope in proper cold climates! :)
you use a mix of water and alcohol (1:2 or 1:4 dependent on the temperature). It also helps cleaning away the nasty mix of wet snow, salt and dirt that you get sprayed with. You will find loads of wind screen washing fluid at every gas station in Scandinavia.

-17 C here today and the washing system is working.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
I don't feel so bad now.
At the end of November I chopped in my 4S for a new CT 4S. Both with 20” wheels.
I was getting 250-260 miles constantly with the 4S.
For the last 10 days we have not seen a day with temperatures above freezing and having parked the CT outside all night in -5 degrees, got only 155 miles showing.
Also, after driving for 90 minutes, the battery pack had only got to 12 degrees!
Other initial differences are how much quieter the car is , but how much better the Pilot Sport 4S tyres were than the Pilot Sport 4 I have on the CT.
Love gravel mode though!

70669D5C-5BA4-4F1C-8BED-49FE10C4D7F8.jpeg

240E7635-6C46-42E8-9838-0C3955C86F83.jpeg
Edit: just searched PS4 and see they can be all seasons. Do you have AS or summer version?

Original post:
How are those summer tires in freezing weather? Had PS4 on F10 (RWD) M5 and I avoided driving that car below 40*F/5*C because the tires turned into gripless stones.

The rest of the year they were 🔥.

It’s crossed my mind multiple times to switch from All Seasons to PS4….

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Country flag
Am I missing something obvious, Chevy Bolt and VW ID.4 have more range than every Tesla? 🤨

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT MY22
Country flag
As mentioned in another thread. I am amazed at numbers like 250 miles in winter being achievable. I’m in U.K. with a CT 21” wheeled Turbo. Today in rain, 5 degrees C, ac in eco plus and in range mode I got 175 miles with 5 miles to empty. From a start on a IONITY charger all warmed up and battery showing 90pct. I drove like a monk at 65-70 the whole way. I guess my wheels are the difference but 2.1-2.2mi per kwh seems way lower than others get.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
As mentioned in another thread. I am amazed at numbers like 250 miles in winter being achievable. I’m in U.K. with a CT 21” wheeled Turbo. Today in rain, 5 degrees C, ac in eco plus and in range mode I got 175 miles with 5 miles to empty. From a start on a IONITY charger all warmed up and battery showing 90pct. I drove like a monk at 65-70 the whole way. I guess my wheels are the difference but 2.1-2.2mi per kwh seems way lower than others get.
I don’t think those 250 miles are on highway. I am around 200 miles on a full charge on highway. Ten degrees and 20 inch wheels and no rain. The rain also has a negative effect on range. Driving on b roads I get around 220-230 miles now.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The tyre pumping losses driving in rain are surprisingly high.

My experience of the various influences stem from the fuel consumption rules first introduced in F1 in 1986 (iirc).
Getting the best lap time for the least fuel burned was the objective then, of course, but a lot of the data crosses over.

Usually fuel consumed gets less as lap time gets worse but fuel consumption in wet racing is higher than anticipated, I thought it may be aerodynamic but it turned out to be the work done by the tyre pumping the water out of its way. It is particularly bad in streaming wet conditions, obviously.

The effect is the same in IC engined cars of course but people seem not to notice!
Sponsored