Winter Storage and the 12V Battery. Trickle charger necessary?

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Do I need to use a trickle charger if I'm going to store the car for an extended period of time? if so, where do I connect the charger?
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Look in the Good to Know App under 12 volt battery. There is all the info you will need.
Porsche Taycan Winter Storage and the 12V Battery. Trickle charger necessary? 93C407DB-0F75-430F-9170-BF5488007F26

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
Do I need to use a trickle charger if I'm going to store the car for an extended period of time? if so, where do I connect the charger?
Porsche issued a Bulletin in October that should be helpful. It appears they are not recommending trickle chargers. Assuming everything is working properly the HV battery should charge and maintain the 12V battery. They specifically recommend not connecting via the app as well.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10182251-0001.pdf

First Name
Xenophon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (MY21)
Country flag
Look in the Good to Know App under 12 volt battery. There is all the info you will need.
93C407DB-0F75-430F-9170-BF5488007F26.png
Interesting that the Text in the phot under the heading "Information" no longer appears in the good to know App. In fact there is a Porsche "Advanced Technical Information" (Bulletin #:2003) that recommends not using trickle chargers but leaving the car plugged in for charging the main battery!!!

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting that the Text in the phot under the heading "Information" no longer appears in the good to know App. In fact there is a Porsche "Advanced Technical Information" (Bulletin #:2003) that recommends not using trickle chargers but leaving the car plugged in for charging the main battery!!!
Inferesting! And another example of why relying on the printed manual is not the best idea. I wonder if Porsche will have to send out paper errata sheets for everyone to post to their paper manuals.

Evpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022, Bolt 2020
Country flag
I have always left my Chevy Bolt plugged in since day one for this very reason. Yes the 12v battery is a lead acid. When the charge light comes on and stays on for some time I know the car is trickle charging. It is designed to do that. I could not understand Taycan owners that would not leave their car plugged in and believe the 12v battery would only charge when they were driving. Also in the hot summer months the A/C for the batteries will sometimes run a couple of times a day to cool the main battery. I expect this for my Taycan regardless of what I keep reading on this forum.
Sponsored