First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Model S Plaid, Model X LR
Country flag
Hola fellow Canadians,
I‘m picking up a used 2020 Taycan Turbo next week that has Mission E rims and the All Season Tire option.

Anyone else here run the all seasons during Canadian winter? I normally get a second set of winter rims/tires and swap. I’m thinking of just running the stock tires this year but I’m concerned it’s a heavy car and will need the stopping power of good winter tires.

Any advice here would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Ebabins

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hola fellow Canadians,
I‘m picking up a used 2020 Taycan Turbo next week that has Mission E rims and the All Season Tire option.

Anyone else here run the all seasons during Canadian winter? I normally get a second set of winter rims/tires and swap. I’m thinking of just running the stock tires this year but I’m concerned it’s a heavy car and will need the stopping power of good winter tires.

I’m in calgary. I have 2020 4s with stock 21 in rims and all seasons for the summer. I bought 20 inch rims and winter tires. For me it’s a no brainer.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am in England where our winters are not that severe but after experiencing the steering and braking of winter tyres in winter over summer tyres I wouldn not dream of keeping summer tyres on a car in winter.
I also am not sure I would go with all seasons tyres because the compromise means they are not optimum in any conditions, which is a shame after investing all that money in a Porsche IMO.

My career was Formula 1 motor racing and there being on the best tyre for the conditions is the most important thing of all.

A 2 wheel drive car on winter tyres will probably have better traction than a 4WD on summer tyres (I have seen it for a 5-series BMW versus a Range Rover at least) and the steering and brakes are, of course, much better with the right tyres, not much point in having better traction if you can't stop.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Hola fellow Canadians,

the answer lies in how much snow do you get where you are and how well are the roads cleared after a snow and will you find yourself caught out before the roads can be cleared often.

If I was regularly driving in snowy conditions I would have dedicated snow tires, IMHO these are the best but are hard to find.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-hakkapeliitta-r3/p/88283

OP
OP
JonS1234

JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cool, thanks for the feedback. The general consensus is to run my All Seasons in the summer and replace them with summers when they run out. I’ll purchase a winter tire package now and have those ready for whatever conditions get thrown at me.

My previous cars always came with low profile summer tires so there was no option but to buy winters. The car was bought on consignment so I didn’t get to speak to the owner, he’d spec’d All Seasons so I thought he may know something I didn’t.

Runestone

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hola fellow Canadians,

I am not Canadian, but I live north of you (most probably)so I might chime in :)

Using the standard tires in winter is NOT a good idea. It is not just that the treads are not deep enough. Worse, the rubber in a summer tire becomes too hard in the cold and the grip gets much worse. Real winter tires are much softer, which makes a huge difference.

In snow you also get a better grip with more narrow tires. If you look at rally cars that drive in winter rally’s they usually have tires that are below 200 mm wide.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It’s not even close. In CH it’s obvious who didn’t put on their winter tyres as soon as there’s any snow in town!
I learned when i was working in France, one of my colleagues was slithering along at a snails pace with a wheel in the gutter against the kerb when early snow caught him out before fitting his winter tyres. The next day having changed them he was driving around fine.
I have had winter tyres ever since, just the improved braking and steering make them MUCH safer.
Very few people use them here in England and the roads are littered with cars stuck after a breath of snow.

Reactions: B61

OP
OP
JonS1234

JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

Y1BDB1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, CT4S
Country flag
I’ve been looking for winter wheels as well and the Audi Etron GT wheels look to have the same size and offsets as the Taycan. These could be a quality OEM wheel for several thousand dollars less than what Porsche wants. I’ve seen them online for $4300 at Audi midtown Toronto. The best deal for 20” Porsche wheels I’ve seen are Downtown TO for $6600.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I run all seasons during the summer and snows in the winter in Colorado. (It can snow any time of year in Colorado so I never go to summer tires.) I have only driven my Taycan with all seasons in very light snow so far so I don't have a really definitive answer for you, but I suspect you are going to do MUCH better with full snow tires for Toronto. I have driven a bunch in Toronto in the winter - you definitely can get some nasty weather where a full snow tire is going to be best. Over the years I have driven many cars with all season tires in the snow, and most of them were no comparison to full snow tires.

CxM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm in Canada, and it's more rain then snow in the city.. but still use winter tires. Got dedicated summer wheels, and its near time to put the stock wheels back on, planning to change the all seasons for winters .

What's everyone going with for winter tires? Anyone run the Pirelli Pzero Winter?

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I'm in Canada, and it's more rain then snow in the city.. but still use winter tires. Got dedicated summer wheels, and its near time to put the stock wheels back on, planning to change the all seasons for winters .

What's everyone going with for winter tires? Anyone run the Pirelli Pzero Winter?

I run Pirelli PZero Winters. Used them all last year in all kinds of conditions. Let's put it this way, there was a day where we got 18+ inches of snow, the plows had only been out here and there, and I had to get up about 15 miles of steep switchbacks. In other words, it was about as tough driving as it gets. There were SUVs, pickups, and cars off the road all over the place. People were shocked to see the Tayan chugging up the hill without issues when everyone else was struggling so much.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag