McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
We left on 25/12 for a short ski to the Austrian Alps and returned today.

Some info about the trip:

4 persons, no roofbox (packed light), 20 inch winter wheels. Ambient temperatures around 10 degrees C, too high for the time of year.

25/12 we drove 600 Km to Stuttgart. Average 100 Km/h, 30,2 kWh/100 km. Had to charge 3 times. Ionity Achener Land, Fastned Boppard, Ionity Bruchsal West. All accepted plug and charge. Fastned was 300 Kw but only charged at 150 even with preconditioning and low SoC, had too stay longer than planned. All 3 locations had multiple free chargers on arrival. I drove between 130 - 150 km/h where allowed

Stayed at Adagio Acces Stuttgart near the airport / messe. Multiple 22 Kw chargers available (probably only 3 public) in a safe closed but 24/7 accessible underground parking under the hotel. Left in the morning with a conditioned, 100 % charged and 25 degrees battery. The hotel is doable, the chargers however really good and so was breakfast.

26/12: 330 km to Galtur., average speed 86 km/h, 31,7 Kw/100 km. Charged at Heiterwang 300 Kw hypercharger, Ionity was just out of range. Up to 220 Kw charge speed. Left at 40 % SoC and finished at Ionity 20 Km further (because 1/2 the price). Could als have made it without the first charger. Planned 50% SoC at arrival to be sure. Our hotel installed a 22 Kw charger just two days before and I was going to be the first to use it. Tested it after arrival and it worked. Could have arrived with much lower SoC.

Driving around Galtur / Ischl and pre conditioning each morning was no problem because I could plug when I want. I have charged around 50 KwH locally for this.

For the local 22 Kw charger I used my Shell rfid card. They ask 1 cent per minute. Porsche 5 cents ! Could lead to surprises if plugged in all night. I unplugged when my SoC reached 85% in the evening except the last night. Plug surfing doesn’t have a price per minute but was more expensive per kWh than Shell.

We left this morning with 100% charge and pre conditioned. I forgot to set the timer last night and when I realized the SoC was 95%. I set the timer anyway and when we left this morning the battery was 25 degrees Celsius. I have read some discussion about pre conditioning of the battery but in my current experience is does look like it also preconditioned the battery when plugged in. In the hotel in Stuttgart it was also 25 degrees when we left but it charged from 30 to 100 and could be heat generated by charging and it was parked inside. This morning however it was parked outside, covered with fresh snow, -5 Celsius and it only had to charge from 95 to 100 % and the battery was 25 degrees Celsius when we left.

For the return trip we charged 3,2 times. 0,2 was a 5 minute charge because I left 5% too soon on the previous charger.

the server is down so I don’t have the last 220 km but for the first 700 km the average speed was 89 km/h and 25,3 kWh/100 km which is much better than 5 days before. Driving up hill took 30 % SoC and going down was almost free.

I drove over Switzerland, France, Luxemburg for the return trip.

227 Km, 85 km/h, 22,9 kWh/100 km. Freezing temperatures but first 35 km downhill. Arrived downhill with 98% SoC.

first charge Ionity. Charge speeds > 220, 18 minutes for restroom, coffee, sandwich , higher SoC than needed.

second stop planned at Ionity Haut Koningsbourgh. PCM showed 0/8 chargers available and sometimes 1/8. This location has six 320 Kw chargers but also two 50 Kw chargers. When using the info on PCM: look at the details of the chager it shows all available chargers but some may be slow. Anyway if pcm is showing 0/8 and 1/8 chargers free during a 1.5 hour trip you can be sure there is a queue of cars waiting for a charger. And it was. My wife said we only need one when it showed 1/8 5 minutes before arrival so we checked. Ten minutes before a Volvo C 40 passed by and I only realized then that he was going for the same charger. At the exit I was behind a Mach E and EV 6 and a couple of cars further the same C 40. All looking for the Ionity charger and after arrriving no free spots off course. I had a plan B : Allego Duttlenheim with six 300 Kw chargers 38 Km further and showing 6/10 free, I still had 90 km range. The EV 6 and C 40 stayed but the Mach E went back to the highway too. Probably the same plan as me but lower SoC because he was only driving 90 km/h where 120 was allowed. I arrived earlier, 3 free chargers, one taken by a Cupra just before me, one for me and one for the Mach E that arrived a couple of minutes later. Charge speeds up to 220. Stayed for coffee and left at 85 SoC.

Three possible ionities to charge but all showed the be really busy in PCM and the app. Plan B again: charge to 100 % at Tesla Arlon and have dinner at Van Der Valk hotel restaurant. I would have had 10 km left and didn’t dare. Drove over Saarlouis Schengen because of multiple fast chargers on that route and non on the peage in France. Charged 5 minutes in Schengerwis, 300 Kw charger speeds > 200. If I would have charged to 90% in stead of 85% before I wouldn’t have needed this one.

connecting to Tesla was easy. Charger configuration was good for the Taycan. After connecting PCM showed a message that charge speed was limited by the charger. Don’t know if it was 150 or 250 but charge speed was 95 Kw. This wasn’t a problem because we were having diner anyway and planned to stay a hour. Left with 100 % SoC and arrived home with 26 %. By far the most expensive charger on my trip. 64 euro for 73 kWh.

For longer trips: during holidays, make sure to have a plan B and store both charger as a favorite so you can see the number of free chargers is PCM. And make sure you have enough SoC to arrive at charger B. The Ionity chargers in Wellin, Mézières, Metz, Haut Koningsbourg are really busy around the holidays probably better to avoid or at least have a plan B.

I needed less charge stops on my way back because my average speed was lower. Driving 150 km/h in Germany may be fun but more charging is needed.

Porsche Taycan Winter trip to the Alps in Taycan 4 Cross Turismo 2E38356F-E901-4AE5-8538-41F32E863DC9

Porsche Taycan Winter trip to the Alps in Taycan 4 Cross Turismo 83A9CFB3-955B-4F00-9BE8-8EFF89FA089C

Porsche Taycan Winter trip to the Alps in Taycan 4 Cross Turismo 8C886FAB-AE2D-489C-87D7-787A24BDB127

Porsche Taycan Winter trip to the Alps in Taycan 4 Cross Turismo C9447492-E3AF-436F-940F-33C1DD388519

Porsche Taycan Winter trip to the Alps in Taycan 4 Cross Turismo 30926639-BD1C-49A3-A007-6E3BF662D397

Porsche Taycan Winter trip to the Alps in Taycan 4 Cross Turismo 2433998B-8BF6-4D21-BC00-628405A95AF3

Porsche Taycan Winter trip to the Alps in Taycan 4 Cross Turismo 8B4832CF-9952-4EF1-9724-A918B8A18DF1

Last edited:

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the report. If I read it correctly, you did not have any difficulty in getting a charge/charging station malfunction except for having to wait for stations being busy. The charging stations were up and reliable, which is good.
And, your car had heat! :like:

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Thanks for the report. If I read it correctly, you did not have any difficulty in getting a charge/charging station malfunction except for having to wait for stations being busy. The charging stations were up and reliable, which is good.
And, your car had heat! :like:
Yes that is correct. No charger malfunction

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
For the distance traveled in winter, your car is amazingly clean
That’s why I chose silver. And the picture in the parking garage is on the way going. At Ionity/ Allego was today and then it started raining heavily for the last 400 km. At Tesla it was almost clean.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
We rent our skis but have our own boots. Because we didn’t have much luggage it fitted without roof box. Better for economy and noise when driving faster.

I bought the Porsche ski bag online. It says it fits multiple pair of skis. Only 2 pair all mountain skis fitted. I put the other two on top of the bag with a towel. For a couple of days and short distance it was oké.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
The “race for the free charger” anxiety is new to me seeing other FEV‘s as competitors :)
haven’t had yet the need to charge in public.
one question though: Did I understand it correctly that the Porsche charge card also offers free charging on selected locations? If so, how can I filter and plan against those?

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I did the same trip this summer returning from Galtur to Belgium. I have a print screen of both trips.

Summer : 25-30 Celsius, 20 inch summer tires, rooftop box, 4 persons and a dog and more luggage. Trip over Germany. Drove a bit faster but never above 140-150 km/h for a longer time. Charged 4 times but probably would have made it in three. Didn’t dare to go low yet.

Winter : 10 Celsius when out of Austria. Beginning was freezing and temp gradually increased. No dog, no roof box, 20 inch winter tires. Drive just a bit above speed limit.

Porsche Taycan Winter trip to the Alps in Taycan 4 Cross Turismo D839E149-0BF5-4D12-AEE6-0FCA33DFC462

Porsche Taycan Winter trip to the Alps in Taycan 4 Cross Turismo A25AFF8E-FF65-4927-B641-0F0D3A0D44F1

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
The “race for the free charger” anxiety is new to me seeing other FEV‘s as competitors :)
haven’t had yet the need to charge in public.
one question though: Did I understand it correctly that the Porsche charge card also offers free charging on selected locations? If so, how can I filter and plan against those?
I was in the west part of France between Basel and Metz-Luxemburg. This part of France has very limited fast chargers. Porsche Mulhouse, Tesla Colmar, Ionity Haut Koningsbourgh and the Hyper charger just before Strasbourg I used. And no fast chargers between Metz and Strasbourg.

So I knew that if I would see a (non Tesla) EV with foreign plates over there chances would be big it was heading for the same Ionity charger. Same if you see an EV driving slowly on the highway close to a fast charger. If the charger you are heading for show 4/6 chargers are available that is still ok. If it only shows 1/6 just a couple of minutes before arrival you know that the guy that just passed you gets the last one you will have to wait until a charger is free. And not every one is driving a Taycan or EV 6 and charging times can be longer than 15 minutes.

With the Porsche card charging is not free. However the price per KWh at Ionity is 33 cents. Tesla asked 83 cent yesterday. Fastned 89 cents. Shell 79 cents. So different prices for the same charger depending on what RFID card is used. Differences can be big
On non Ionity fast chargers Porsche asks 35 cents per kWh so still quite cheap but also 35-45 cents a minute for 150-350 Kw chargers. Charging times are around 10-15 minutes. So still cheaper for fast charging.

For 22 Kw and less with the Porsche card it is also 35 cents per kWh but supplementary 5 cents per minutes. If you charge over night at a hotel and plug in at 6 pm and unplug at 8 am it will cost 14h x 60 minutes x 5 cents = 42 euro just to be plugged in 14 hours. And 20-30 euro if charging to 100%.

Plug surfing for example asked 53 cents per kWh for the 22 Kw charger but no price per minute. Shell 42 cents per KWh and 1 cent per minute.

it is worthwhile checking the prices before using a specific RFID card especially if they bill plugged in time / idle fees.

Fast chargers : Porsche card. Some fast chargers don’t accept the Porsche card and alternative needed.

22 Kw chargers : other alternatives are better like Shell. Make sure to unplug after charging when supplementary price per minute. Charging etiquette: also clear the charging space when not charging.

Porsche Taycan Winter trip to the Alps in Taycan 4 Cross Turismo 919A96A2-BA54-40E0-A635-6B78EE10A684

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Ok, that’s clear, have I then missread that with destination charging, selected locations offer free charging for Taycans?
Seems charging at home when possible, avoiding public charging where possible is still the most cost effective?

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Ok, that’s clear, have I then missread that with destination charging, selected locations offer free charging for Taycans?
Seems charging at home when possible, avoiding public charging where possible is still the most cost effective?
Yes unless electricity goes up further. 33 cents a kWh is not that much more than I pay at home with my new contract next year.

I have never had a Porsche destination charger with my Taycan. They are pretty rare. It is a specific charger at a specific destination . Not as common as Tesla destination chargers. I did have one a couple of years ago at a Chateau in France and charging was free with my X5 45e. The owner can choose to make it free for everyone but I think it has to be free for Porsche owners like you mentioned.

they are usually located at special hotels and golf clubs etc. I don’t know if they allow charging if you don’t use the hotel / golf. Wouldn’t make much sense either to stay 3-4 hours to charge if you don’t need to do something at the location.

Edit : you can enter a filter in the charger search function in te My Porsche app only showing Porsche destination chargers. Very few in Belgium and The Netherlands but more in the cote d azure, Swiss / Italian skiing resort / wineries in Tuscany.

Last edited:

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
connecting to Tesla was easy. Charger configuration was good for the Taycan. After connecting PCM showed a message that charge speed was limited by the charger. Don’t know if it was 150 or 250 but charge speed was 95 Kw.
Do you have the 400 volt 150kW onboard charger option?
Sponsored