DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The real question: did you find out what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?
Sponsored

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Do you have the 400 volt 150kW onboard charger option?
Yes I do. It is standard in the CT in Belgium. For road trips in Europe it is important as multiple 400 V chargers are available and would only be able to charge at those at 50 Kw. I also have the 22 Kw charger option which is useful when charging at a hotel. 3-4 hours for a full charge. Most public chargers in Europe are 22 Kw.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
The real question: did you find out what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?
I found myself in the rear view mirror. Would be more difficult to find a local in the alps right now !

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT, BMW i3s, X5, 540i
Country flag
Hi, I'm planning for the same destination in a few weeks, your post was very useful.
How did you pay at all these various chargers? I installed 2-3 apps for paying in my travels in Romania but installing an app and paying online can be very time consuming abroad, especially when crossing 3-4 countries. Does Porsche provide a card to pay automatically? How do you choose to use it from within your car's PCM?
What are your tips for the right highway speed? I'd prefer to go slower if that saves the overall time, but I find it very very difficult to stay at 100-120 kmph.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Hi, I'm planning for the same destination in a few weeks, your post was very useful.
How did you pay at all these various chargers? I installed 2-3 apps for paying in my travels in Romania but installing an app and paying online can be very time consuming abroad, especially when crossing 3-4 countries. Does Porsche provide a card to pay automatically? How do you choose to use it from within your car's PCM?
What are your tips for the right highway speed? I'd prefer to go slower if that saves the overall time, but I find it very very difficult to stay at 100-120 kmph.
I have Porsche Charging service. I think I activated it when I collected the car. You get a RFID card by mail which you can use at most chargers, Ionity, Allego, EnwB. I have a shell recharge and some others as back up. Be sure you check the rates. Porsche charging service is best for Ionity for example.

I would order a shell recharge card and something else depending on the countries you are crossing. I have ordered a lot of cards but I have only used Porsche Charging and Shell and just one time Juice Pass in Italy. Plug Surfing, Maingau I have but never used. You can also activate the Tesla app at home. It is easy to use

And plan the trip with ABRP so you know where the fast chargers are along your route. It is better to travel with PCM navigation because you have a better range estimation and you know the SoC at arrival.

In my experience speed between 120-130 is ok. Range is even better at 110 but like you mentioned that is slow. You are not following the traffic. The only thing that really matters is if you can avoid an extra charging stop. If you just have to charge 10-15% more each stop but still have the same number of stops it will only be a couple of minutes longer tot charge.

When following PCM navigation it plans to arrive at around 9 % SoC at charge stops. If find this a bit too low and this wouldn’t give me the possibility to chose another charge. So charge a bit more so I will arrive around 15% at the next stop.

Have a nice and safe trip !

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Are you also going to Ischgl/ Galtur or to another ski resort ?

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, will check the cards you two mentioned. Hoping Shell will deliver since they sold their gas stations in Romania to MOL.
I'm going in Ortisei, South Tirol/Italy. Hotel has a charger, probably 22kw or less but should be enough. I will have to search a hotel with a good charger to stop overnight.
I find ABRP to be good but I recently had a problem with it showing a new charger that didn't work, while Porsche navigationwasn't showing it. I'm thiking Porsche knows the speed of the chargers, their charging points choices look good. And I will travel alone, which makes checking ABRP difficult.
Do you add the Porsche card in the navigation panel or is it used only on its own?

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Thanks, will check the cards you two mentioned. Hoping Shell will deliver since they sold their gas stations in Romania to MOL.
I'm going in Ortisei, South Tirol/Italy. Hotel has a charger, probably 22kw or less but should be enough. I will have to search a hotel with a good charger to stop overnight.
I find ABRP to be good but I recently had a problem with it showing a new charger that didn't work, while Porsche navigationwasn't showing it. I'm thiking Porsche knows the speed of the chargers, their charging points choices look good. And I will travel alone, which makes checking ABRP difficult.
Do you add the Porsche card in the navigation panel or is it used only on its own?
If it shows on Porsche, it usually works with the Porsche card. Although last Friday it also programmed to charge at Tesla which doesn’t work with the Porsche card.

The 300 Kw charger in Schengerwis didn’t show on PCM, only the 22 Kw one. So I navigated to the 22 Kw and it still pre heated to 44 Celsius.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
You can chose the option in PCM to favorise charging stations that accept Porsche charging service. And you can activate plug and charge in PCM this works for Ionity and Fastned. You don’t have to use the Card but just plug in the cable and it recognizes the car. But I wouldn’t travel without the rfid cards and you can also activate the apps and make and account and add a credit card so you know it works if needed.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Looked at your trip. Quite a distance from Bucharest, 1600 km and 10 charge stops on ABRP. What does PCM in your car say when you plan the trip?

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looked at your trip. Quite a distance from Bucharest, 1600 km and 10 charge stops on ABRP. What does PCM in your car say when you plan the trip?
The PCM shows the route and the chargers but Porsche Charging is not available in my country. It will be a huge pain if I need to install a new app and activate a separate account for each plug I need to stop at. Doing that while maybe someone else waits for you is really painful.
I'm considering if it's wise to do international trips with a Taycan.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
The PCM shows the route and the chargers but Porsche Charging is not available in my country. It will be a huge pain if I need to install a new app and activate a separate account for each plug I need to stop at. Doing that while maybe someone else waits for you is really painful.
I'm considering if it's wise to do international trips with a Taycan.
I was thinking the same when I entered your trip in ABRP and the chargers you would have to use. Looks like very limited 150 Kw and more charges in Roemania en Hongaria compared to Austria / Germany. . I think you can be lucky but if one is out of order you will run into trouble. You can always charge at 22 Kw for 4 hours and return home but that is not really the purpose.

tbh I would take the plane and a local taxi / rent a car if you are traveling alone anyway.

Porsche Taycan Winter trip to the Alps in Taycan 4 Cross Turismo A6815D4F-2A26-4A6B-8006-CACDC5F5B154